Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Landing initiated without initiating RTH - Thoughts?
1545 15 2017-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dnorm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

Hi DJI Forum Community!
New Mavic Pro owner here

I have about 20 or so flights logged so far on the Mavic Pro.  I had a disconcerting experience today and am looking for some feedback from the community and or DJI forum staff.

I was flying my mavic today in 35 degree (farenheit) weather (within min operating temps so i don't think this had anything to do with it and the battery was installed from 70 degree room temp charging area inside).  

I set up waypoints (while in the waypoint intelligent flight mode) throughout our property today.  Five total waypoints, all entered and uploaded as a mission successfully.  I flew this mission successfully and then it automatically exited the waypoint intelligent flight mode and I manually flew 'home' and landed - no problem.  I then loaded another battery in and flew manually to the first point of the waypoint mission i had previously configured, and wanted to fly this mission in free orientation mode, to get some different angles of the property.

Upon arriving at waypoint '1' and loading the waypoint intelligent flight mode and applied my aforementioned mission, the mavic seemingly started to gain altitude (slowly) - I was going to fly this mission at around 250 feet.  And then suddenly the app announced, 'landing initiated'...what is landing initiated mode, I am aware of RTH, but not aware of a landing mode? this was different than RTH and healthy drones seems to interpret the logs of 'landing' and 'return to home differently', so they are seemingly two different modes...battery was still at 95+%.  I exited landing mode by canceling this in the DJI Go 4 App.  I then tried to start the waypoint mission again, and same thing happened, inadverdently landing mode was initiated...I actually recall only hearing the app anounce 'landing', and the craft beginning to descend...this would have been a bad situation had it actually tried to land as 1. the mavic was above a forested area, and 2. OA was logged as disabled as you can see below...  

Here is a snippet from healthydrones log analysis that displays these logged landing mode events (event E and event H below):

C
00m 01s0.0 ft0 ftTip[url=]Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude: 65M.[/url]
D00m 01s0.0 ft0 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to GPS_Atti[/url]
E02m 08s219.8 ft348 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Confirm_Landing[/url]
F02m 08s219.8 ft348 ftWarning[url=]Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing. Fly with caution.[/url]
G02m 13s221.1 ft350 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to GPS_Atti[/url]
H02m 35s261.8 ft353 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Confirm_Landing[/url]
I02m 35s261.8 ft353 ftWarning[url=]Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing. Fly with caution.[/url]
J02m 50s171.3 ft351 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to GPS_Atti[/url]
K03m 49s251.0 ft370 ftTip[url=]Waypoint Mission Started__Return-to-Home Altitude:213FT[/url]
L03m 49s251.0 ft370 ftMode[url=]Mode changed to Waypoint[/url]
M03m 53s262.8 ft371 ftWarning[url=]Warning:Altitude Limited Mode Entered[/url]
N03m 55s265.7 ft380 ftWarning[url=]Warning:Altitude Limited Mode Entered[/url]
O03m 59s270.7 ft417 ftWarning[url=]Warning:Altitude Limited Mode Entered[/url]
P04m 02s269.7 ft448 ftWarning[url=]Warning:Altitude Limited Mode Entered[/url]
Q04m 07s269.0 ft428 ftWarning[url=]Warning:Altitude Limited Mode Entered[/url]

After cancelling the two RTH/landing attempts, i cruised around a bit and then was able to apply the waypoint mission which it flew as expected in free orientation mode.

Here is a log snippet when I had actively enagaged RTH from another flight:

c15m 00s297.2 ft8 ftTip[url=]Tips__Return-to-Home Initiated[/url]

I am rather concerned about these two incidents...has anyone ever experienced this or have any feedback?

I am going to post the following error in a new thread: "[url=]Warning:Altitude Limited Mode Entered"[/url]

Any other data I can provide to help determine what's going on?  I do have DJI Care Refresh for this mavic and can send in, but purchased my Mavic to take to Tahoe with me next week.  Really hoping it's in some reliable state for the video and image capturing tasks I had planned.

thanks!

dave

2017-1-16
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

Landing was initiated without initiating auto Land or RTH

one quick additional note - there IS an auto land function as well - but i did not enter this mode either...so to better state this:

Landing was initiated without initiating auto Land or RTH.
Sorry for not covering that earlier.

thanks.

dave
2017-1-16
Use props
ENT2019
lvl.1

United States

dnorm Posted at 2017-1-16 15:17
one quick additional note - there IS an auto land function as well - but i did not enter this mode either...so to better state this:

Seems to be problem with several Mavics including mine. You can see the following thread:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-77495-1-2.html

A temporary fix is to disable downward VPS. It's a little less stable flying like that but at least it can descend and it doesn't go into landing mode spontaneously. Hope that helps.
2017-1-16
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

Thanks @ENT2019 - does the forum community tend to believe this is a software or hardware issue?

have you sent yours back in or are you awaiting feedback from DJI?  

shall i open a support ticket? seems as if there are MANY of those already submitted.

thanks.

dave
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry Dave, I'm not familiar with healthdrone.
Could you please export the flight data and vision data via DJI Assistant then upload it to dropbox?
I'll forward the data to our engineers for review.
2017-1-16
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

Hi Mindy -

I cross posted this in rcgroups and a DJI employee who goes by the handle 'blade strike' said he sent it to engineering for review:

i will PM you the log data also momentarily as a dropbox link, thanks!

dave
2017-1-17
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

Hi Mindy -

PM sent, please let me know if you received the link.

dave
2017-1-17
Use props
way wrong
Second Officer
Flight distance : 351631 ft
Estonia

dnorm Posted at 2017-1-17 10:29
Hi Mindy -

PM sent, please let me know if you received the link.

You need to reply to her post not post a new post in this thread. Otherwise she can't see that you replied.
2017-1-17
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

hi @way wrong - i sent mindy a personal message with a dropbox link, and only replied here to confirm that i sent it.

is there a forum etiquette bit that i am missing?  this is how other forums i am apart have operated for years...happy to adjust posting mechanics here, i was just unaware of any differences in process here.

dave
2017-1-17
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

@DJI MIndy - just checking in to see if engineering was able to derive anything form the flight logs i messaged you.  

dave
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dnorm Posted at 2017-1-16 15:17

What have you set as your altitude limit, if it's 400ft, and you were trying to exceed this height , maybe it was this that triggered RTH or landing.
2017-1-31
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

Hi Hallmark,

RTH is set above max tree height @ 150.

my max altitude is set for 115meters or ~377feet

logs don't indicate this was what happened...DJI engineering has provided feedback from my log and said this was a VPS error...that feedback came from the mavic form over at RCGroups, which is a bit more informal than this DJI official mavic forum...

hoping this post here is a more formal approach to determining next steps

thanks!

dave
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dnorm Posted at 2017-1-31 12:23
Hi Hallmark,

RTH is set above max tree height @ 150.

Well if dji has already decided that it was aircraft malfunction, then I would start a ticket and ship it back, but it would help others here on the forum , if you give out  the details you received from dji engineers this information might be helpful to others here.
Good luck..
2017-1-31
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

that's the thing, because it was from RCGroups, here is all i have:

From blade strike over at RCG after inquiring as to engineering feedback fro my flight logs:

"All they said it was a vps error.. Recalibrate and if it happens again then please send in for repair."

I am gonna wait it out until the next firmware update and cross my fingers it contains a fix for these VPS issue.

thanks.

dave
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dnorm Posted at 2017-1-31 12:58
that's the thing, because it was from RCGroups, here is all i have:

From blade strike over at RCG after inquiring as to engineering feedback fro my flight logs:

Well maybe VPS cal would help, but can understand you waiting for firmware update, and reading the forum here there are others having similar problems, so touch wood, it will get sorted.
Good luck..
2017-1-31
Use props
dnorm
lvl.4
United States

confirming here VPS issues have been fixed in the 02/14 FW release.

thanks all!

dave
2017-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules