How long can you put Inspire batteries into long term Storage
3825 7 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Questoion for the Moderators and anyone who has placed their aircraft and batteries into long term storage.

What is the longest anyone has placed their batteries into storage from  50% + charge  or full 100% charge.

Can DJI or any mpoderators please confirm how long the Inspire batteries could be placed into a state of long term storage safley.

Would it be best to drain the battery fully if expecting not to use the battery for longer than 6month ? or just let it drain naturally in the normal way.

2017-1-17
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

I haven't placed any DJI batteries into longterm storage but maybe this will help. Just some general knowledge from dealing with RC lipo batteries.

1. Don't store your batteries at 100% charge, should be 40-60%.
2. Lipos will slowing discharge over time, on average about 1% or more per month. This may be quite different with the DJI intelligent batteries.
3. Storing them in the fridge will slow down the discharge process, but they should be stored properly (in a sealed lipo bag)
4. I would set up a table and occasional pull the batteries and check the condition of their state after they have been in storage. At least once a week and see how well they hold their storage charge.

This is from the Inspire 2 manual:
Battery Storage
1. Discharge the battery to 40%-65% if NOT intended to be used for 10 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery's overall life span. The battery automatically discharges to below 65% when it is idle for more than 10 days to prevent swelling. It takes approximately three days to discharge the battery to 65%. It is normal that you may feel moderate heat emitting from the battery during the discharge process. You can set the discharging thresholds in the DJI GO 4 app.
2. DO NOT store the battery for a long period of time with its power fully discharged. It may lead to irreversible damage.
3. The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for an extended period of time. You cannot manually turn off the battery power LED in this state. Leave the battery unattended for  ve minutes, and then the light will turn off. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation.
4. Remove the battery from the aircraft when planning to store it for an extended period of time.

There are a lot of articles about how to care for and store lipos. Best advice is to read up this topic and treat your batteries well as they will end up last much longer than if you don't.

2017-1-17
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ok,
I have read instructions and manuals etc. but cant find any confirmed duration for hiberatio and long term storage.

Could any of the DJI Moderators confirm how long the Inspire batteries can be left in hibernation/ long term storage.

2017-1-18
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
Flight distance : 408343 ft
United States

I too have been waiting some confirmation.  My Inspire Pro batteries have been in storage 4 months and 13 days.  Each batter (3x TB47/ 1x TB48) were approximately 15% when I stored them.  I did not expect such a long storage time, but have been traveling with the Mavic Pro more.  Now we want to get some premium shots this month, and I'm currently charging for firmware upgrade and diagnostics.  DJI should be clear on chronological detail.
2017-5-7
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Australia

Could any moderators please confirm with the DJI Techies how long a battery can safely be in hibernation mode.
2017-5-17
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

If DJI do not have an answer. One can find out by checking/monitoring the battery while it is in storage.
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

MediaElite Posted at 2017-5-7 05:53
I too have been waiting some confirmation.  My Inspire Pro batteries have been in storage 4 months and 13 days.  Each batter (3x TB47/ 1x TB48) were approximately 15% when I stored them.  I did not expect such a long storage time, but have been traveling with the Mavic Pro more.  Now we want to get some premium shots this month, and I'm currently charging for firmware upgrade and diagnostics.  DJI should be clear on chronological detail.

I would not recommend discharging you batteries before storing them at all let alone storing them at 15%! The batteries are programmed to discharge themselves to a safe level for storage. The only people who seem to be having issues with storing batteries are the ones who discharge them before storing them, possibly because after draining them to 50% - 60%, then  leaving them for ten days, the battery then goes into storage mode and drains off what it thinks is 50%, bringing the voltage down to dangerous level for storage.
Other than performing a deep cycle every ten charges, all you need to do is FULLY recharge the batteries  BEFORE and AFTER every flight.

Sorry GB44, not sure how long you can store the batteries, the longest I have left any of mine was around three months. I bet you will not get much info here from DJI as I'm pretty sure they would not want you coming back to them with dead batteries after taking their advice.
How long do you plan to store them?

Mark G.
2017-5-21
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Australia

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-5-21 00:52
I would not recommend discharging you batteries before storing them at all let alone storing them at 15%! The batteries are programmed to discharge themselves to a safe level for storage. The only people who seem to be having issues with storing batteries are the ones who discharge them before storing them, possibly because after draining them to 50% - 60%, then  leaving them for ten days, the battery then goes into storage mode and drains off what it thinks is 50%, bringing the voltage down to dangerous level for storage.
Other than performing a deep cycle every ten charges, all you need to do is FULLY recharge the batteries  BEFORE and AFTER every flight.

Mark,

I have had to leave my Inspire in the UK, as I am currently in Australia.  They have been in storage now for about 3 months, but each battery had between 62% and 82% charge directly before storage.

I too have never had batteries in storage for longer than 6 to 7 weeks, but  just thought that DJI could give some direction on this matter.  

I was just wondering once they are in what they refer to deep storage mode how long can they be left in that status.

Im presuming that given the silence from DJI moderators or DJI Tech experts, there is no limit to how long they can be in deep storage mode, as if there were it would be in the DJI aircraft manual.
2017-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules