Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Red spot in middle of DJI Mavic footage?
12Next >
12862 69 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue to what I'm having with my Mavic Pro. I noticed recently that there was a faint spot in the middle of my footage (shooting DLog colour profile) and as soon as I applied the Dlog LUT provided on the DJI website, the spot became extremely noticable. I've spoken to DJI through the online chat, going through all the possibilities, they even mentioned that it could be glare before stating that it needs to be sent off for repair.

I've reset the drone, I have downgraded the firmware and then re-updated on both the RC and Drone, I've cleaned the lens but the issue is still there.

I've seen other comments mentioned by DJI moderators that it will be fixed in a firmware update, other owners saying that they've sent off their drone for repairs only for them to come back the same as before or worse.

I just want to know if it is a hardware issue (i.e. faulty sensor) or software issue (i.e. firmware) before deciding whether to send it off or not.

DJI_0015.00_00_28_18.Still001.png

with DLog LUT

with DLog LUT
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a hardware limitation, try it outdoors and not against a white wall.
2017-1-17
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-17 11:39

Tried that, that's how I first noticed it, it's on everything I shoot now...
2017-1-17
Use props
bogdanteo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111719 ft
Romania

Ken, you said on a different thread you'd come back with further explanations about this. Looking forward to receiving them.

Besides, many people have this spot even if they fly outside. So it's not only indoors.  

Moreover, Mindy says that it will be solved with the next firmware. Which one of you two guys should we believe?
2017-1-17
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-17 11:39

Shot when i was flying over trees in the snow
Nested Sequence 02.00_01_20_00.Still002.jpg
Nested Sequence 02.00_01_20_00.Still003.jpg
2017-1-17
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.
Fortunately no problem with my camera. In my eyes it looks not like a hardware limitation but a manufacturing fault of the lens coating or a fault in the sensor's color mask. It may be caused by the camera has been exposed to strong light / UV light.

Regards Leif.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bogdanteo Posted at 2017-1-17 14:12
Ken, you said on a different thread you'd come back with further explanations about this. Looking forward to receiving them.

Besides, many people have this spot even if they fly outside. So it's not only indoors.  

I'm am waiting for the detailed explanation, should be the in the next day or so.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-17 14:18
Shot when i was flying over trees in the snow

What are your camera settings in that photo.
I would expect better.
You may have a camera sensor issue depending on what your settings were.
2017-1-17
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-17 16:39
What are your camera settings in that photo.
I would expect better.
You may have a camera sensor issue depending on what your settings were.

Those are screen grabs from my footage when I was flying in the snow over trees, not photos. I chose those shots with and without the LUT applied to show that it is there. The only settings changed was the camera profile to DLog.

2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-18 03:24
Those are screen grabs from my footage when I was flying in the snow over trees, not photos. I chose those shots with and without the LUT applied to show that it is there. The only settings changed was the camera profile to DLog.

OK, as I said it's a hardware limitation of the camera sensor,
Can you post a few seconds of the unedited video.
2017-1-18
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-18 06:52
OK, as I said it's a hardware limitation of the camera sensor,
Can you post a few seconds of the unedited video.

Hi Ken,

Uploaded a shortened version of the footage, plus the version with just the LUT applied.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yuao1 ... w0SXa4AljxUGGa?dl=0

I'm just concerned as the version without the LUT there is a faint mark in the middle and as soon as I apply the LUT it just goes bad. Making adjustments after applying the LUT have no positive effect or just make it worse.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-18 12:52
Hi Ken,

Uploaded a shortened version of the footage, plus the version with just the LUT applied.

And what are all the camera settings, I will forward to see if I get a explanation.
2017-1-18
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-18 12:58
And what are all the camera settings, I will forward to see if I get a explanation.

My camera settings:

ISO & Shutter = Auto
Video Size = 4K - 3840 x 2160
Video Format - MOV
NTSC/PAL = PAL
White Balance - Auto
Style = None
Colour = D-Log

Please let me know what you can find out.

Kind regards
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-18 13:04
My camera settings:

ISO & Shutter = Auto

Ok, thanks.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-18 13:04
My camera settings:

ISO & Shutter = Auto

Can you try other settings other than D-Log to see if the spot is still there.
If it is it may be a camera problem and needs to be repaired.
If not, they already know about it and are working on it.
2017-1-18
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-18 18:18
Can toy try other settings other than D-Log to see if the spot is still there.
If it is it may be a camera problem and needs to be repaired.
If not, they already know about it and are working on it.

Thanks Ken! Had a look at the other colour profiles and that spot is completely clear in the rest.

Is the DLog issue expected to be fixed for the next firmware update?

Kind regards
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-20 02:29
Thanks Ken! Had a look at the other colour profiles and that spot is completely clear in the rest.

Is the DLog issue expected to be fixed for the next firmware update?

Ok, thanks.
Maybe an update will resolve it.
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Here's a detailed explanation of the red spot.

Mavic Pro Color Shading.pdf

323.99 KB, Down times: 145

2017-1-22
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-22 19:21
Here's a detailed explanation of the red spot.

Thank you so much for the information Ken
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TKP Posted at 2017-1-24 03:04
Thank you so much for the information Ken

No problem at all, hope everyone can understand the explanation now.
2017-1-24
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

So are we supposed to live with discoloration on the images? There's no hope for a fix because the problem is innate with the lens? If I keep seeing this spot and it doesnt go away the drone is un-usable for me. I dont want to have to return it and get my money back, but I definitely cant have a giant yellow spot on all my footage.
2017-1-25
Use props
sharif0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed a transient red spot when shooting against white backgrounds (snow) while shooting into the sun.  I chalked it up to lens flare from shooting directly into the sun.  

You can see it here at the 2:09 mark:  

Otherwise, so far I haven't noticed any other discoloration in my footage.
2017-1-26
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

This is what I'm talking about. Discoloration in the center of the frame appears red indoors with warmer incandescent and yellow'ish outdoors in daylight. I've seen this on several youtube videos and some people dont seem to notice it. Once you know what to look for its easy to spot.
2017-1-26
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

Larger Image of Mavic Pro Discoloration
2017-1-26
Use props
EZTropical
lvl.1
Flight distance : 303734 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

I guess it is good to be 65 .  I have three absolutely PERFECT  Mavic Pro's, retired and I can fly everyday,    and if there is slight discoloration I cannot notice it !  It IS nice to see communication without the negative name calling.  REALLY NICE !  Thank You .
2017-1-27
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

sharif0 Posted at 2017-1-26 05:38
I noticed a transient red spot when shooting against white backgrounds (snow) while shooting into the sun.  I chalked it up to lens flare from shooting directly into the sun.  

You can see it here at the 2:09 mark:  

sweet video!
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MichaelRev1412 Posted at 2017-1-25 21:19
So are we supposed to live with discoloration on the images? There's no hope for a fix because the problem is innate with the lens? If I keep seeing this spot and it doesnt go away the drone is un-usable for me. I dont want to have to return it and get my money back, but I definitely cant have a giant yellow spot on all my footage.

The last sentence of the PDF says "We are working on this"
So let's see if it can be reduced or resolved.
The Mavic is for portability with a great camera for the tiny sensor it has.
For professional results, the P4P will give you better results.
2017-1-27
Use props
fans75fb030b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1044134 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have the same problem on my Mavic Pro. I try to see the PDF but seem not available.

I make a lot of test, all video format, I have also try to put a nd filter on it and same problem.

Is the right thread for be alerted when solution is come. I have the Inspire 2 for professional production but the Mavic Pro, even if small, can help to make great shot.
2017-2-1
Use props
PJgurn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103609 ft
United States

Same thing happening here.

Mavic Circle.jpg

2017-2-2
Use props
PJgurn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103609 ft
United States

Very unfortunate that the Mavic has this issue. I was so very happy with it until I started noticing it. I am going to be looking for it in all of my shots now...if it can not be fixed I am going to have to get rid of the Mavic.
2017-2-2
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

DJI received my Mavic yesterday. I was told before I sent it in by the DJI rep that the turn-around process would take 5 days to issue the replacement Mavic. Now another rep just told me that it will take 2 to 3 weeks!! When was the last time you bought a faulty stereo from Best Buy, returned it and they said, let us look at it and diagnose it for 2-3 weeks and then issue you a replacement?? That's not how it ought to work. If the company sells you a bad product, it should be replaced immediately upon receipt of the faulty product. Bad customer service.
2017-2-2
Use props
Steeves
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1044134 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Same problem with my Mavic Pro. Tested a lot of different settings with no result. When I read to comment from DJI-Ken "If you want a professional result, buy a P4P !" It's just funny yo see how DJI think. I know the sensor is small but I have lot of other cheap camera with better result. Runcam 2 100$, Xioami Yi and more other give a better result. I can't believe that. My Mavic Pro is not usable
2017-2-2
Use props
fans1440bd11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124852 ft
Mexico

Hey all

Just found out that this is not only happening with the MAVIC, saw a post on phantompilots.com on P4Pro section describing something similar, since I have both Mavic and P4P, checked my P4P the same way I confirmed the issue with my MAVIC and it is right there, same as with MAVIC.
I can't see DJIs official explanation holding up now sin ce the "PRO" drone exhibits the very same issue.

Attached is a screen shot of how I see a P4P raw file in LR.
Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 20.06.11.png
2017-2-6
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

So if the mavic and the P4P have different sensors, this might be an issue with the glass if they both have the same lens?
2017-2-7
Use props
daivatam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

or ir filter or sensor readding
2017-2-7
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

On January 23rd (see post above), I shared a photo showing the discoloration on my brand new Mavic Pro I had for only 4 days. DJI said an exchange would take 5 days so I sent it back. 28 days later (today) I received the new replacement -- and it has the exact same discoloration. The pictures below are from the second new drone I received today.

Anyone else think DJI should issue a re-call? It amazes me how many people do not even notice it in their own videos they post and share online.
2017-2-22
Use props
siumam
New

Indonesia

Not Only Me. But so much people complain abot this. I see that my photo of Mavic Pro show red yellow spot. I have try all setting and mode, i did use mavic pro filter from DJI but still got red yellow spot in middle. This my examples photo. I shoot this photo 4 times with different exposure and marged by lightroom to HDR Photo. There is still red yellow spot as over light in middle spot.
Al Hikam HDR Feb 2017 v1.jpg
2017-2-27
Use props
fans35ba6f62
New

Georgia

Hello
What device are you using? If Android, try Apple devices.

I spent almost month to fix camera related problems, and finally someone on other forum told me that Androids have problems, I switched to Apple and everything is gone now.

Android applications have major problems decoding DJI video stream. I never seen any perfect android device to show good picture. Apple does.

2017-2-27
Use props
seato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583556 ft
Australia

#18 above explains the situation. There is no fix right now either hardware or firmware. If using software to process images (e.g. Lightroom), you can fix in post. Probably similar in video though would need a decent editor. I sent mine back for the same reason just before the #18 explanation. They sent it back cos it can't be fixed.

As DJI-Ken says in other posts, if it's a deal-breaker for you, best get a refund.
2017-2-27
Use props
seleznev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45627 ft
Russia

I got the same spot. But not so strong. It looks like warm center of my pictures. And it's perceptible on snow footage mostly and in DNG format. As far as I understood this is hardware problem. As Ken wrote above it can be fixed in the future updates (I'm not sure). So I use simple presets in Lightroom and FinalCut to remove this spot. Here is the sample without:

samle

samle
2017-2-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules