Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to do an extra fancy POI with Active Track.
3812 16 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

I made a video to show one of the ways that Active Track can be used creatively.

https://youtu.be/vQ9bgJHXoMU
2017-1-17
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Cool video, didn't know you could control it that fine in wireless.

I can't really say enough about the mavic. I can't believe how small it is in a tiny bag with 2 batteries and can fly out 4 miles with programming. I wanted to put a aluminum can speaker on the bottom, but I see now that's not going to happen. You try litchi active track yet? It's about as drunk. Saw that one guys video on autopilot, looked good on ios. Can't try no apple in this house {:4_177:}
2017-1-17
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-17 18:22
Cool video, didn't know you could control it that fine in wireless.

I can't really say enough about the mavic. I can't believe how small it is in a tiny bag with 2 batteries and can fly out 4 miles with programming. I wanted to put a aluminum can speaker on the bottom, but I see now that's not going to happen. You try litchi active track yet? It's about as drunk. Saw that one guys video on autopilot, looked good on ios. Can't try no apple in this house

I haven't tried Litchi. So far, DJI Go seems to do everything I want.
2017-1-17
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

By the way, there's another little trick buried in the video.

When Active Track is on, you can move the center of the screen. That way if you want the thing you're focused on to be on the sides, or on the top or bottom, you can put it there instead of leaving it in the center. It lets you obey the rule of thirds instead of putting your subject right in the center. The Osmo Mobile does this, and it's awesome. I only figured out how to do this on the Mavic a few days ago.

Here's how to do it. Once you've started Active Track and the subject is selected, there is a green box around it. At the center of the green box is a tiny circle. Hold your finger on that tiny circle for a second and a blue circle will appear around your finger. You can drag that around your screen to position the subject where you want.
2017-1-17
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

nice tutorial and tips!
2017-1-17
Use props
gnom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 716572 ft
United States

Thank you, an other great thing to frame your shoot.
Hopefully they will implement cameramovement in waypoints soon. ;-)
2017-1-17
Use props
Psy
lvl.1

United States

how did you get such crisp audio from this video?
2017-1-17
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Psy Posted at 2017-1-17 23:33
how did you get such crisp audio from this video?

I had a mini-tablet in my pocket connected to a small microphone clipped to my shirt. I used the video from the Mavic and the audio from the tablet.

I was actually surprised that the sound of the Mavic wasn't more obvious. A good microphone does wonders.
2017-1-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

JasonMBryant Posted at 2017-1-18 05:34
I had a mini-tablet in my pocket connected to a small microphone clipped to my shirt. I used the video from the Mavic and the audio from the tablet.

I was actually surprised that the sound of the Mavic wasn't more obvious. A good microphone does wonders.

I was also really impressed by the lack of Mavic noise. What mic were you using? Something particularly fancy/expensive?
2017-1-18
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-18 07:56
I was also really impressed by the lack of Mavic noise. What mic were you using? Something particularly fancy/expensive?

It's the SmartLav from Rode. You can get it for $70 from B&H. I'm very happy with it. It works with any iPhone and some Android devices. Not all. I went from tablet to tablet in the store, checking which ones would work with the microphone.

If you want to use it with other devices, like a voice recorder, you may need a trrs to trs adaptor.  That's $15, but I don't have one right now because I don't need it.
2017-1-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Freakin awesome, Jason!    So glad you used your phone to be stealthy.  
2017-1-18
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156040 ft
Switzerland

Thanks there are some really great and detailed tips in this that I did not know about and that the Mavic manual does not mention. Great!

PS The sound from the Mavic sounds so far away - I guess the mic has some serious noise cancelling built-in - nice!
2017-1-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Great ti[ and demo -- looking forward to trying that out -- thanks for sharing!
2017-1-18
Use props
Xcelrrate
New

United States

JasonMBryant Posted at 2017-1-17 19:36
By the way, there's another little trick buried in the video.

When Active Track is on, you can move the center of the screen. That way if you want the thing you're focused on to be on the sides, or on the top or bottom, you can put it there instead of leaving it in the center. It lets you obey the rule of thirds instead of putting your subject right in the center. The Osmo Mobile does this, and it's awesome. I only figured out how to do this on the Mavic a few days ago.

Thank you for this amazing tip...!

I'm expecting delivery of my Mavic on the 20th and can't wait to experiment with it!

Thank again

Kenny
2017-1-18
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Very useful. I've had a stab at using an iphone as the controller in wifi mode, but couldn't get the sticks to play nice. Seems you've got it down pat!
2017-1-18
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

GMG Posted at 2017-1-18 15:14
Very useful. I've had a stab at using an iphone as the controller in wifi mode, but couldn't get the sticks to play nice. Seems you've got it down pat!

WiFi mode is not the best for zipping around with normal stick controls. However, I actually love WiFi mode when I'm using Active Track. The control and speed limitations aren't so bad. Plus, it's extremely fun to just stick my phone in my pocket and walk around with the Mavic following me.
2017-1-18
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Good job Jason, thanks for the demo and subsequent explanations of how to "customise" the DJI app in the autonomous modes it offers.
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules