Phantom 3 Professional kill switch/emergency stop
5963 18 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans80486191
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116434 ft
United States

In case of emergency, what combination of controls will stop the motors on the P3P? I've heard that holding "Return to Home" and pulling the left joystick to the right bottom corner will do it. What about the joystick combination that starts the UAV?
2017-1-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

On Page 46 of the user manual, there is a section on starting and stopping the motors.
That will answer your question fully.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _en_v1.8_160719.pdf
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, RTFM!! A CSC will stop the motors. Both sticks down and in, or down and out.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
djiuser_23nIy5wEyhDv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29278 ft

New Zealand

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-17 22:50
Yes, RTFM!! A CSC will stop the motors. Both sticks down and in, or down and out.

RedHotPoker

This method doesnt work anymore due to it being a risk
2019-1-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

CSC is obsolete?  That's interesting.  
2019-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

djiuser_23nIy5wEyhDv Posted at 1-24 13:31
This method doesnt work anymore due to it being a risk

I wasn’t informed, of that fact...

Since when?

RedHotPoker
2019-1-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I can assure OP that CSC, (both sticks down and IN)  still works ... but it now has a 2 - 3 second delay to avoid accidental use.

I assume OP tried it but did not hold sticks for those few seconds.

I know it still works as I had to use it when my P3P went into a tree ... video is online on my YT channel.

2019-1-25
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

well that change could be embarrassing. So no CSC across all Phantom models?
2019-1-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

sky wombat Posted at 1-25 01:27
well that change could be embarrassing. So no CSC across all Phantom models?

??

CSC still works ... it just has a slight delay that is all ... I assume to avoid any silly mistake ...

Imagine flying along and you by accident give two sticks down and IN  ... and if it immediately stopped motors ...  May sound daft ... but with a 2 - 3 second delay - it gives a margin but still gives you CSC when really needed.

Nigel
2019-1-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-25 01:42
??

CSC still works ... it just has a slight delay that is all ... I assume to avoid any silly mistake ...

I agree with Nigel...……………….although I have never had to use that function. I have 2- Advanced aircraft and I checked both of them to see what happens when both sticks down and in. It does work, but there is a second or two delay, not an instant response. I do remember some time back, DJI seemed to be getting complaints of CSC commands being given by mistake by pilots and causing crashes. They then implemented that couple second delay to help avoid a mistaken CSC command. I'm thinking this was changed quite a few firmware versions ago...……..couple years maybe. I might be wrong about the time frame, but the command does still work on my phantoms.
2019-1-25
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can't you choose in GO  4 between having and not having the delay on the 3 series?
2019-1-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

EdM Posted at 1-25 06:36
Can't you choose in GO  4 between having and not having the delay on the 3 series?

GO 4 does not work with 3 series ...

P3 uses GO before 4 version.

It dos not have option on CSC delay. Not that I have seen anyway and I'm running latest Go before 4 on my P3P.
2019-1-25
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-25 07:18
GO 4 does not work with 3 series ...

P3 uses GO before 4 version.

"Dang it, I knew that" as he pulls his head out of his posterior.
2019-1-25
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 1-25 06:08
I agree with Nigel...……………….although I have never had to use that function. I have 2- Advanced aircraft and I checked both of them to see what happens when both sticks down and in. It does work, but there is a second or two delay, not an instant response. I do remember some time back, DJI seemed to be getting complaints of CSC commands being given by mistake by pilots and causing crashes. They then implemented that couple second delay to help avoid a mistaken CSC command. I'm thinking this was changed quite a few firmware versions ago...……..couple years maybe. I might be wrong about the time frame, but the command does still work on my phantoms.

Yes, it was introduced in response to complaints of CSC being accidentally performed in flight (although you'd be swinging madly on the sticks and flying irresponsibly if you did hit it...) so DJI introduced a full three second delay in firmware 1.10 and 1.11 (since November 2016).   The three seconds is way too long in my opinion.  It also has the unfortunate consequence of causing the aircraft to flip over if it is performed after you have safely landed -- instead of immediately killing the motors, it is receiving a command to pull backwards and descend and rotate  and move sideways.  This makes it stand up on one edge of the landing gear and tip an arm into the ground.  It continues to do this for three seconds at which point it will turn off if you are lucky -- unless it has flipped to the more likely inverted position, where it will spin uncontrollably and ignore input from the controller.  Not a very well thought out "improvement" by DJI to placate a group of fliers that were afraid of an extremely unlikely event occurring.  This flipping behaviour was reported on the forum after the change was introduced, and was met by skepticism, me included.  However, once I physically tested it for myself, I saw how dangerous it was.
2019-1-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The problem is not the delay in causing the flip ... its US humans.

If the two sticks are not pulled back and in exactly together - you get commands instead of KILL motor initially you do it.
If you are able to coordinate both sticks exactly together - the Kill command count down is initiated and no direction / pitch / flight commands are given.

It is also a good reason that you should use the Left stick all way down way to kill motors on the ground.
2019-1-25
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-25 23:47
The problem is not the delay in causing the flip ... its US humans.

If the two sticks are not pulled back and in exactly together - you get commands instead of KILL motor initially you do it.

Most of us that have been on the forum for a while know that CSC on the ground is inadvisable, and to pull the left stick down to shut the motors off instead.  We have been discouraging its use for a while now.

In the past, the aircraft would respond for the few milliseconds to traverse to a full-deflection CSC, causing a slight twitch (it was also visible in the flight record if you looked hard enough).  It would then immediately shut down.  How fast you got to the limit would affect how big the twitch would be.  The current method still takes three seconds before the shutdown occurs regardless of how synchronously or quickly or slowly you get there.  Moving slowly is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.  While you are holding the full CSC position and waiting, it acts on those stick positions while counting down.  I performed about a dozen tests with different stick movements/speeds and it completely flipped over the majority of the time, but it tilted over every time waiting for the three seconds to elapse.  In the flight record I could see the motors were imbalanced, indicating it wanted to turn/roll/pitch (most of the remaining telemetry is unreliable when the airframe is touching the ground).  This test was done with the first firmware that had this feature -- 1.10.90.
2019-1-26
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 1-26 00:19
Most of us that have been on the forum for a while know that CSC on the ground is inadvisable, and to pull the left stick down to shut the motors off instead.  We have been discouraging its use for a while now.

In the past, the aircraft would respond for the few milliseconds to traverse to a full-deflection CSC, causing a slight twitch (it was also visible in the flight record if you looked hard enough).  It would then immediately shut down.  How fast you got to the limit would affect how big the twitch would be.  The current method still takes three seconds before the shutdown occurs regardless of how synchronously or quickly or slowly you get there.  Moving slowly is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.  While you are holding the full CSC position and waiting, it acts on those stick positions while counting down.  I performed about a dozen tests with different stick movements/speeds and it completely flipped over the majority of the time, but it tilted over every time waiting for the three seconds to elapse.  In the flight record I could see the motors were imbalanced, indicating it wanted to turn/roll/pitch (most of the remaining telemetry is unreliable when the airframe is touching the ground).  This test was done with the first firmware that had this feature -- 1.10.90.

I totally agree with you Endotherm, about the 3-seconds being too long. It is crazy to think anybody would be giving those commands on purpose, and how could you accidently do it...……...what a bizarre combination of stick movements to be doing on purpose. Anyway, it is what it is. Thanks for your explanation on how the aircraft reacts to this command and just when it was changed. I thought it was a couple versions back but wasn't 100% sure when it was changed.
2019-1-26
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

This could potentially cause a problem if an aircraft is flying toward the drone below 400 ft.  I 've seen several  helicopters in my area that come out of nowhere at probably 300 feet. 3 seconds could seem like an eternity when trying to get out of the way.
2019-1-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Like every so-called safety measure ... there are good and bad points. We can all come up with reasons to not have ...

2019-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules