Overwriting video files in RESET mode
3348 12 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schwez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114091 ft
United States

Hi, new DJI pilot here (with some UAV flight experience). I flew my P3Pro over a property last week. I took three separate 12-minute flights on three seperate batteries.
This, of course, required powering down the bird after each flight and swapping out the low battery for a full one.

My file index mode was set to RESET (not CONTINUOUS). As a result, the drone has overwritten the previous recording on the SD Card with the default 'DJI001.MOV' on each flight.
I do have the proxy videos that were recorded to the Ipad via the GO app.

Is there a way to retrieve the other recordings, or has the auto-overwrite killed them?

I've run the SD card through data recovery software to no avail.
Thanks.
2017-1-17
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Sorry, they are gone, change the behavior from RESET, why use that?
2017-1-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I don't think the aircraft overwrites files in that way, mind you I have not tried it out. What I think is far more likely is that you did not stop recording after each flight, in which case the file was not finalised and was therefore available to be over-written each time.
2017-1-17
Use props
Schwez
lvl.1
United States

Dioden Posted at 2017-1-17 21:53
Sorry, they are gone, change the behavior from RESET, why use that?

Why would DJI include it in the app as a destructive setting in the first place?
I wasn't aware of the effects of the setting until now, so of COURSE I'm not going to have the mode set to RESET on any future flight; in fact, I'll be adding a pre-flight check to ensure CONTINUOUS mode is set before takeoff and recording.
2017-1-17
Use props
Schwez
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-17 21:53
I don't think the aircraft overwrites files in that way, mind you I have not tried it out. What I think is far more likely is that you did not stop recording after each flight, in which case the file was not finalised and was therefore available to be over-written each time.

100 percent positive I stopped recording on landing each time before powering down the bird. This is common sense as a cameraman. Same reason I would never switch off my other cameras before first taking it out of REC.
2017-1-17
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Well, it has never ever happened to me, on the other hand, I do never ever a reset, if I don’t need it.
2017-1-18
Use props
Schwez
lvl.1
United States

Dioden Posted at 2017-1-18 01:06
Well, it has never ever happened to me, on the other hand, I do never ever a reset, if I don’t need it.

I don't think you are understanding my question. A 'reset' per-se, isn't something you DO, it's a setting you need to change under 'File Index' and in my case, the Go App defaulted to 'Reset' instead of 'Continuous' which is where the problem originated.
2017-1-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On the P4 the counter is only reset after a format of the card., I would think the same would apply to the P3.
2017-1-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If DJI Go is set to cache video shooting (In 'General Settings' menu) then the 720P files should be stored on display device.

2017-1-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-18 12:54
If DJI Go is set to cache video shooting (In 'General Settings' menu) then the 720P files should be stored on display device.

I agree that I think it would continue to write files and numbering them in order. I do use the reset but I always pull my data off of the sd-card after every time I fly and put them in a different folder on my computer labeled with the appropriate date. So yeah it starts all over at one again each time. I have a lot of #1, #2, #3 files but in different folders. I guess to each his own. I always like to start off a new flight with a blank sd-card....just me. I know a lot of those who just let them build up until there is no more room on the sd-card. I would wonder, did you power the battery down before removing it from the drone or just pull it out and swap it? Just asking because I have seen people actually do that. And yes you should have a cached copy on your device, but if your sd-card doesn't have it I am pretty sure you are out of luck. Not exactly sure what to tell you. I don't think it would just start re-writing over existing files that were there unless you formatted the card or something. I am not the expert on that, maybe someone from DJI can confirm exactly how it works.
2017-1-19
Use props
fansdf7d83d7
lvl.4

Netherlands

You can try to recover deleted video from sd card with the help of this Disk Drill app https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/sd-video-recovery.html . No guarantee it will work though. But you can try to use it in trial mode so you won't risk losing money, just some effort needed.
2017-11-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

fansdf7d83d7 Posted at 2017-11-18 07:47
You can try to recover deleted video from sd card with the help of this Disk Drill app https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/sd-video-recovery.html . No guarantee it will work though. But you can try to use it in trial mode so you won't risk losing money, just some effort needed.

You don't think after 10 months OP has done a format of his card once or twice?

Did you notice the line "I've run the SD card through data recovery software to no avail." ?
2017-11-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If you power down the P3 before stopping video record - the shutdown extends to complete the recording. If not - then do as the note in FAQ of the manuals telling you how it saves the video.

Page 47 of Standard manual

Page 50 and 51 of the Pro Manual

As to reset ..... funny - manual has no mention of it ... and cannot check my P3P ... as its in for repairs.

Nigel
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules