Mavic user arrested for flying near airport
1844 19 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

An owner of a DJI Mavic is arrested for flying above 400m at 2km from Hangzhou airport filming the planes on the landing path. Drone is confiscated and fine is Yuan 20,000. From the film recovered it was OLS from his location and was so close to the planes you can see the co-pilot pointing at the drone as it passed
2017-1-18
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Little if nothing to do with the Inspire community I'd say.
2017-1-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-1-18 04:39
Little if nothing to do with the Inspire community I'd say.

Farnk666, I love ya brother but Dr Jon  is just posting a report of a Quad  ( Mavic ) flying near an aircraft.  We all know that this is Not good for the Inspire community or any other Remote Flying group.  I find the post to be informative and  fine.

Just my two cents as well.

donnnie

2017-1-18
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53340 ft
United States

A little more on the story here: http://gbtimes.com/china/drone-footage-plane-landing-china-investigated (although not much more). Can't quite understand people who post material when they must suspect that it's not quite the right way to go about capturing footage.
2017-1-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-18 05:34
A little more on the story here: http://gbtimes.com/china/drone-footage-plane-landing-china-investigated (although not much more). Can't quite understand people who post material when they must suspect that it's not quite the right way to go about capturing footage.

Yes, I don't understand why they would post it either, this falls under common sense . I mean I don't think any of us want  a drone anywhere near our  civilain  full scale aircraft .  I think this quad pilot  must be totally naive or Mad.

I wonder what the rules are in China ? In the states most Hobby shops have Literature about the Academy of Model Aeronautics and Info about getting the FAA license  .  From here they have the basic rules and of course one of them is to stay FAR away  from full scale aircraft .  ( Much more than just that of course )

Just sad because the more exposure to these close calls the more regulations are bound to be heading our way .  The world of RC may have been better when you had to put long hours building our systems and to think of endangering it in anyway would be un-heard of .  

Thanks for sharing the article Dave , and Happy ,safe , flying .

donnie
2017-1-18
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-18 05:34

Totally agree with you there Dave, not sure who is the bigger idiot, the guy who flew the Mavic and posted his idiocy on the net or me for spending 10 minutes of my life studying this picture, trying to find the drone!

Mark G.
f44d307d90cc19e7b38105.jpg
2017-1-18
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53340 ft
United Kingdom

You have to wonder if it was really a Mavic or a DJI <anything> what with the geofencing logic. I can't even fly in my back garden without the nagging about an airport 5 miles away, so I suspect if I was closer I'd not even get off the ground. Also the footage looks a terrible quality. Surely, you'd want it in glorious 4k technocolor. I'm sure the Daily Mail will have the headline in the next few days of "Aircraft had to handbrake turn to void drone"..
2017-1-18
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-1-18 13:13
Totally agree with you there Dave, not sure who is the bigger idiot, the guy who flew the Mavic and posted his idiocy on the net or me for spending 10 minutes of my life studying this picture, trying to find the drone!

Mark G.

Mark, I feel your pain looking at the image.  I done it for only a few seconds and give up.

The idiots out there still continue to raise the bad press.

I am currently selling one of my older drones and had a potential purchaser ask me how high can it fly and how far away will it fly.  There is still a great deal of education needed on flying these safely.  I guess there will always be the few idiots who seek to fly these beyond the legal limits rather than fly within the limits safely.
2017-1-18
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

I totally agree with Donnie! This post should be front page news in all of the DJI forums. People who are only interested in going as high as the can, or as far as the can just don't understand. There are rules. Rules that are inforce to protect aircraft and passengers, as well as people and property on the ground.  SAFETY FIRST!!!  
2017-1-18
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Just like every other 'drone' story, this was repeatedly posted all over FB groups, News sites and other forums.
We all see this stuff daily, repetition doesn't provide any benefit.

Just as with that stupid Neistat guy, Space needle crash, Dutch police 'anti-drone' eagle training, The British toddler who was partially blinded, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe the mods can setup a sticky thread for such things and make it available across all the categories for people to post this stuff in?
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-18 13:21
You have to wonder if it was really a Mavic or a DJI  what with the geofencing logic. I can't even fly in my back garden without the nagging about an airport 5 miles away, so I suspect if I was closer I'd not even get off the ground. Also the footage looks a terrible quality. Surely, you'd want it in glorious 4k technocolor. I'm sure the Daily Mail will have the headline in the next few days of "Aircraft had to handbrake turn to void drone"..

I have seen people get around the Geofencing through various types of hacks going for as long as Phantom 1s and P2s have been around. If that guy were to have crashed and it had to be sent into DJI for evaluation, the repair techs would find out.

I do agree that it's not a very good quality, and I don't quite see (at least in the link that was provided) that it was a Mavic. There are 'special snowflakes' out there can botch a nice picture with poor camera settings, I've done it on more than one occasion when starting out.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Mark G.

I would say it's the former more than anything. As humans, we can't help but gawk and these types of things so no one can fault you on that.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-18 07:16
Yes, I don't understand why they would post it either, this falls under common sense . I mean I don't think any of us want  a drone anywhere near our  civilain  full scale aircraft .  I think this quad pilot  must be totally naive or Mad.

I wonder what the rules are in China ? In the states most Hobby shops have Literature about the Academy of Model Aeronautics and Info about getting the FAA license  .  From here they have the basic rules and of course one of them is to stay FAR away  from full scale aircraft .  ( Much more than just that of course )

Unfortunately, common sense is no so common as we all hoped.
2017-1-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is interesting and disappointing news and thanks for reporting your news story. I feel these reports should be treated like other acts for attention in the press. Don't give them the attention they seek and give them a swift jail sentence   

don't ruin it for everyone else

Rich
2017-1-18
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Mavic user arrested for flying near airport"
GOOD!!!
Idiots like this need to be made an example of.
This will also raise awareness to other ignorant operators.
2017-1-18
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

I saw this direct on CCTV it showed the footage captured and the DJI Mavic confiscated. It also had a DJI representative stating they would implement a warning system to ALL drones made by them with immediate effect and release the code warning very soon. The GEO is not implemented in china YET.

The "prat" was a 21 year old, no CAA licence and said "i wanted to film the sunset" why he needed to fly to within the airports glide path and then film not one but 10 landing planes. The picture posted was not one of those shown on china TV! The film he made was very high quality as he panned as the aircraft past, even one with the pilot pointing at the drone filming.  I understood the pilot reported it as a near miss, the control tower then tracked the drone back to its owner and the police took over from there.

He was fined 20,000 yuan. No prison sentence given as this is China and no serious crime had been committed within the police authority jurisdiction as this is a CAA issue not a police issue, BUT if he had hit one of them that would have been a different issue.  

In china you have to sign a document issued by the "department for homeland affairs" you register your Drone (serial number) and get instructions on how to fly in china. Basic sense such as max height 120m always in LOS. Don't fly within 5 miles of airport etc. He stated he didn't know this!! (been in the press many times now)

This also applies to visitors, so if you come to china go sign of loose your drone...

My take on this is in every Drone sold there should include some basic common sense document included on how to be a good "drone citizen"      
2017-1-18
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-18 13:21
You have to wonder if it was really a Mavic or a DJI  what with the geofencing logic. I can't even fly in my back garden without the nagging about an airport 5 miles away, so I suspect if I was closer I'd not even get off the ground. Also the footage looks a terrible quality. Surely, you'd want it in glorious 4k technocolor. I'm sure the Daily Mail will have the headline in the next few days of "Aircraft had to handbrake turn to void drone"..

GEO fencing is not implemented in China YET. I understand its only USA and EU right now. The rest of the world do what they want.
2017-1-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Mark G.

if this is supposed to be a clip from the drone (mavic) footage you are going to need a mirror in front of the camera to see the drone.lol
2017-1-18
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-18 22:44
if this is supposed to be a clip from the drone (mavic) footage you are going to need a mirror in front of the camera to see the drone.lol

There is no drone in this picture, (as I found out after 10 minutes of studying it) this is a still taken from the footage, shot by the Mavic. He must have had the Mavic hovering there whilst filming the planes coming in. I'm sure we would all like to get some shots like that but most of us have more sense.

http://www.uasvision.com/2017/01 ... -arrested-in-china/

You can't stop stupid!

Mark G.
2017-1-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-1-19 06:35
There is no drone in this picture, (as I found out after 10 minutes of studying it) this is a still taken from the footage, shot by the Mavic. He must have had the Mavic hovering there whilst filming the planes coming in. I'm sure we would all like to get some shots like that but most of us have more sense.

http://www.uasvision.com/2017/01/18/passenger-jet-scare-drone-pilot-arrested-in-china/

Your mind may have thought at first this was a shot from the  control tower and the Mavic must be there somewhere .....

No worries mate , we all have those moments .

donnie
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules