Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FLYING A DRONE IN THE UAE/DUBAI (HOBBIE / NON COMMERCIAL)
12704 18 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAHD
lvl.1

Spain

Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you DJI for open this section in the forum. I think it´s gonna be very helpfull for people living and using their drones in the same area.

Next month I will move to Dubai for living and working and of course I want to use the amazing Mavic Pro there, but I´m not sure about the actual legal situation.

Well, I´ve been reading a lot about the actual legal situation in the UAE and more specifically in Dubai regarding flying drones. After read and read a lot in internet and visited the official Dubai Civil Aviation Authority  (DCAA) and the UAE General Civil Aviation Authorithy (GCAA) I´m not sure about the rules than apply in the Emirate of Dubai.

Here are the requirements I´ve found in the DCCA and in the GCCA. Both of them requires a registration/license and flying in safe and secure areas. ( Dubai map and more info here), but there is one MAIN diference. While GCCA specifically says "No video or image capturing devices shall be used when flying the UAS/drone" , the DCCA only says to take care with the images obtained and manage them according the privacy laws. So it doesnt specifically ban the use of camera drones, even more, as you can see in the flyer there is a camera drone ilustrating it.

I understand you need a license at any case, but I´m not sure about the legal status of using video or image capturing devices in Dubai.

I would be very gratefull if anyone who´s using drones there can give us more information.

Thks!

2017-1-18
Use props
Air BazYoung
New

United Arab Emirates

Hi there MAHD,

I'm booked to get my Basic Certification on this coming Monday, not sure if you're here in Dubai now, but let me know if there's anything in particular you want me to ask them.

The stuff online seems pretty self-explanatory and straight-forward, with No-Fly zones and Permit zones marked out on maps.
2017-2-14
Use props
halo_cess
New
Indonesia

Ya!!
Same case with me.
And off course you CAN'T fly at Abu Dhabi if your licenses only for Dubai (Dubai Civil Aviation Authority  - DCAA)

I'm from Indonesia work at Offshore vessels at Abu Dhabi.
2017-6-6
Use props
jostinroshan
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Hi Guys
I have recently bought Spark, and I guess it requires an License too ?  Any suggestions ?
And guys can we have a group day to RAK and Al Ain for some shoot ?   
2017-7-15
Use props
Sahal
New
United Arab Emirates

jostinroshan Posted at 2017-7-15 20:34
Hi Guys
I have recently bought Spark, and I guess it requires an License too ?  Any suggestions ?
And guys can we have a group day to RAK and Al Ain for some shoot ?

Hii
Yes me too recently bought a DJISpark. Want to know about the UAE licene to fly it.
2017-9-2
Use props
HelenM
New

Russia

Sahal Posted at 2017-9-2 23:51
Hii
Yes me too recently bought a DJISpark. Want to know about the UAE licene to fly it.

I would recommend that you read the laws on the dcaa website or call local schools for example. Also there is a local forum quite informative by Aeromotus
What you need to know everyone - compulsory license
by the way there are different types and paid
2017-10-3
Use props
fans4853912a
New

United Kingdom

Folks,

Any favourite spots at Dubai to take your drone for a spin ?

Ps. I registered with both DCAA and GCAA.

- Mustafa
2018-3-9
Use props
Droning-On
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi MAHD,

Did you find anymore information on use of filming in Dubai? I'm from the UK and i'm looking into all the ways to make my trip and flights easier.

I see that you need to be a UAE citizen to really do all of this.

Do you know any way for a tourist to fly freely like a UAE citizen?

Thank you!
2018-3-16
Use props
djiuser_geJaBJ0V4anq
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2349 ft
France

Droning-On Posted at 2018-3-16 10:42
Hi MAHD,

Did you find anymore information on use of filming in Dubai? I'm from the UK and i'm looking into all the ways to make my trip and flights easier.

I sent an email to DCAA to obtain more info, i'm waiting feedback
2018-3-30
Use props
Pavel K
New
Flight distance : 1175 ft
Russia

djiuser_geJaBJ0V4anq Posted at 2018-3-30 02:15
I sent an email to DCAA to obtain more info, i'm waiting feedback

hi
I sent mail to GCAA about registration in RAK too. They answer me following.

Please be advised that the drone registration on-line platform is designed for drone pilots who have their domicile in the UAE. You are advised not to register your drone and operate a drone in the UAE unless you are able to meet such requirement.

Please be advised that drones to be operated in the UAE must be registered with the GCAA. The registration is free of charges. For registration refer to the following link: https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/pages/UASRegistration.aspx

Besides https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/pages/UASRegistration.aspx says:
ARTICLE 70:
A term of imprisonment not exceeding three years and a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand Dirhams, or either penalty, shall be imposed on the following persons:
*   Any person who has piloted an aircraft or caused it to be flown without bearing the nationality and registration marks or displaying incorrect or ineligible marks,

So there is no way for the toutist to use drone in UAE! Thats sad (
2018-4-12
Use props
djiuser_geJaBJ0V4anq
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2349 ft
Italy

Pavel K Posted at 2018-4-12 03:26
hi
I sent mail to GCAA about registration in RAK too. They answer me following.

thank you for this information
2018-4-16
Use props
Eren Rae
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Hobbyist

Note: Tourist wont be able to register their drone because of the residency required ID (Emirates ID), im not sure if there any other way.

For uae residents, I emailed gcaa and they said once your drone is registered with them you can fly for recreational/fun purpose in all other emirates except dubai. But ofcourse following the gcaa rule and registration is free and can be done online. What im not sure of is on the registration it says photo/filming is not allowed.

For Dubai, you need to register with dcaa and it requires the air worthiness certificate which you can get from Sanad Academy, 350 aed for hobbyist.
2018-7-4
Use props
Mohammed Ziyad
New

Okay, this is what i no:-
1) GCAA free regustration, but according to their site, cant video shoot or take photo.
2) GCAA No fly zone app shows a map with the whole of Abu Dhabi in red zone, which means you cant fly.
3) GCAA map also shows places in Dubai which are restricted but the DCAA map shows another type
4) DCAA liscence for flying in dxb and video shoot. Its pretty clear.
5) The Dji go 4 app also provides a map for flyzones, Its some what similar to DCAA map but ... when compared to GCAA map its entirely different. The Dji map only shows some what 3-4 restricted areas.

I just want a clear picture how i can shoot videos and photos in Abu Dhabi legally for hobby purposes.
2018-7-8
Use props
fansb0ff3a31
New

United States

Droning-On Posted at 3-16 10:42
Hi MAHD,

Did you find anymore information on use of filming in Dubai? I'm from the UK and i'm looking into all the ways to make my trip and flights easier.

Have you found a way around getting your drone registered with the GCAA? I’m a US citizen and I’m traveling to Dubai in a few weeks and would like to bring my Mavic Pro along to get some footage. I’m having trouble registering because the GCAA site is asking for a UAE ID number....
2018-11-12
Use props
fansb0ff3a31
New

United States

Hello Everyone,

I’m having a very hard time trying to register my drone with the GCAA. I’m not a UAE national. The GCAA website is requesting an ID number which I do not have. Can anyone guide me or help with this process? Thank you!
2018-11-12
Use props
fansa452d09f
New
Flight distance : 40020 ft
United States

fansb0ff3a31 Posted at 2018-11-12 12:35
Have you found a way around getting your drone registered with the GCAA? I’m a US citizen and I’m traveling to Dubai in a few weeks and would like to bring my Mavic Pro along to get some footage. I’m having trouble registering because the GCAA site is asking for a UAE ID number....

How did you come out? I will be visiting Dubai soon as well.

Ryan
2019-1-31
Use props
djiuser_WIECgQOrMcTN
New

India

Hi everyone,
I will be travelling to Dubai next week, can I take my dji Mavic mini without registering?
2020-2-13
Use props
Agha
New

India

I live in Dubai city. I really like it...wow really very mesmerizing work. I have a website name Webbiner , lots of people comes to my website throughout UAE, I want to share a link and share your link to my website so that everyone will be joining this.
2020-8-3
Use props
jostinroshan
lvl.1
India

Hello All
From two days my spark is behaving a bit abnormal. When i slide to take off , Spark just cant balance and it goes up and down and hit the the ground. Then when I check the remote it shows wifi signal unstable warning?  Is there a fix? I have tried multiple times and same issue !! Please help
2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules