2922 20 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ligJHAXOjhx3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 610988 ft
United States

I have some doubt regarding home points:

1- The HP location and type  can be changed  during a flight?

2 - If I choose HP to be my controler , if it get disconnected how  the mavic will return to home?

3 - If I choose HP  to be my controler , and  I move to another area the home point location will be updated, for instance in a boat.?

4 - In any case the mavic will keep the minimun altitude set for a safe return home?

5- If Mavic departs from a certain altitude and then go down insted of up in this case it will return home as excpected? ex departing from a  mountain top and then going downhill to movie.

Thank You

2017-1-18
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Just guessing: 1,3. HP location can be changed during flight to the current RC location, assuming your phone has operational GPS with good signals.  Although I don't think this operation is continuous.  If you're on a moving target, you'll need some quick fingers and still probably need to manually land.  Don't know what you mean by 'type'.
2. If the controller is disconnected, the Mavik should return to the last HP that was set.
4. RTH altitude can be set (relative to take-off altitude)... and should be set above the highest obstruction that could possibly be in the path.  
5. I've not tried flying downhill yet, but I believe it would fly up to RTH height before returning.

You can always override RTH with manual control.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Above post is correct.
1. Yes you can change the HP to the aircraft or the RC (if you have a GPS enabled device)
2. Yes, if you get a disconnect, the Mavic will RTH to the last HP location you set on the controller.
3.Yes, you can update the HP as many times as you like and with each new HP it updates to the location of the aircraft or RC at the time you reset the HP.
4. If you are flying below the RTH set altitude it will climb to the set RTH altitude.
5. If you descend down and then a RTH is initiated, the aircraft will climb to the takeoff height then continue to climb to the RTH height.
2017-1-18
Use props
Stlrfan26
New

United States

So much to learn.  I am assuming (and I am new here so please be gentle), that if I am offshore fishing, I will want to reset the HP frequently.   But it seems to me that the best things to do from a boat are (1) not to fly the drone in windy conditions, (2) return the drone to the boat for a manual landing while there is still plenty of battery left, and (3) have someone standing by with the fishing net.  
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Stlrfan26 Posted at 2017-3-7 11:37
So much to learn.  I am assuming (and I am new here so please be gentle), that if I am offshore fishing, I will want to reset the HP frequently.   But it seems to me that the best things to do from a boat are (1) not to fly the drone in windy conditions, (2) return the drone to the boat for a manual landing while there is still plenty of battery left, and (3) have someone standing by with the fishing net.

Yes, those are good things to keep in mind.
2017-3-7
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-7 11:58
Yes, those are good things to keep in mind.

DJI-Ken does setting the home point to the controller, is that dynamically updated on the mavic? For example traveling in a boat, the home point changes all the time.
2017-5-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-7 20:35
DJI-Ken does setting the home point to the controller, is that dynamically updated on the mavic? For example traveling in a boat, the home point changes all the time.

DJI Go does not support dynamic Home Points for the Mavic, but I've seen other people mention that Litchi does it.
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

No, on the Mavic If you disconnect from the controller It will only return to the home point it shows on the Map, you can update this home point anytime whilst flying though by pressing the three dots in the top right corner
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-7 20:35

It updates once, so if in a moving boat just keep resetting it every so often.
2017-5-8
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-8 07:10
It updates once, so if in a moving boat just keep resetting it every so often.

Silly question, and as a software engineer, if someone needs to press the button to update the position couldn't we have an option for the app to update it every x seconds for us?

I'll be flying from a boat a lot this summer.. guess I should use the P4 Pro.
2017-5-9
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Stlrfan26 Posted at 2017-3-7 11:37

Stlrfan26 , I'm still trying to understand this Boat thing -- To me
                the Mavic + Boat + Water divided by water depth = Bye Bye Mavic in my Book
                I do like the idea of the fishing net though
2017-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-9 16:33
Silly question, and as a software engineer, if someone needs to press the button to update the position couldn't we have an option for the app to update it every x seconds for us?  

I'll be flying from a boat a lot this summer.. guess I should use the P4 Pro.

That's how the app works, you need to keep updating the home point if you are in a moving vehicle/boat.In trhe Me section of the app, there's a Feedback tab that you can put in your requests.
2017-5-10
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-9 18:05
Stlrfan26 , I'm still trying to understand this Boat thing -- To me
                the Mavic + Boat + Water divided by water depth = Bye Bye Mavic in my Book
                I do like the idea of the fishing net though

Flying from Boats it not a big deal as long as your know what you are doing and feel confident flying.  I have been flying drones since the phantom 1 and have a lot of hours under my belt both flying over ground and water.  Of course their is always a risk of losing your drone in the water.  With the Mavic I usually turn off the ground sensors and auto landing.

But yea I was surprised that the mavic doesnt have dynamic home point setting and you have the manually set the position again and again, which could be done in software.  See my comment above.  I plan to do a lot of water filming this year but Ill prob use my P4 Pro.. Here is a Active Track test with the Mavic from my buddies boat.

2017-5-10
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-10 07:12
That's how the app works, you need to keep updating the home point if you are in a moving vehicle/boat.In trhe Me section of the app, there's a Feedback tab that you can put in your requests.

Thanks DJI-Ken, but I'm sure you would agree that the app could do this for us.. Having to film on a boat while constantly moving and trying to capture those great shots having to think about setting the home point over and over is a un-needed distraction.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-10 10:16
Thanks DJI-Ken, but I'm sure you would agree that the app could do this for us.. Having to film on a boat while constantly moving and trying to capture those great shots having to think about setting the home point over and over is a un-needed distraction.

Yes, I totally understand. I wouldn't mind having it.
2017-5-10
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-10 10:20
Yes, I totally understand. I wouldn't mind having it.

Any web link to feedback from my own account. I hate having to type out detailed feedback/requests.. or something you could share with me in private?
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-10 10:20
Any web link to feedback from my own account. I hate having to type out detailed feedback/requests.. or something you could share with me in private?

From the homepage when you open the app, choose Me (bottom right) then the top tab is Feedback. Then choose Feedback and Advice.
2017-5-10
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Since we are in the topic of HP..
If I started my flight and set HP to AC, then in mid flight I decided to change this to RC (if possible via SW).
If I engaged RTH, theoretically it will come home to where the RC is @....right?
What if the RC disconnect, will it RTH to 1st HP?
2017-5-10
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-10 10:15
Flying from Boats it not a big deal as long as your know what you are doing and feel confident flying.  I have been flying drones since the phantom 1 and have a lot of hours under my belt both flying over ground and water.  Of course their is always a risk of losing your drone in the water.  With the Mavic I usually turn off the ground sensors and auto landing.

But yea I was surprised that the mavic doesnt have dynamic home point setting and you have the manually set the position again and again, which could be done in software.  See my comment above.  I plan to do a lot of water filming this year but Ill prob use my P4 Pro.. Here is a Active Track test with the Mavic from my buddies boat.

Hi Gateway ,   I watched your video and understand you fully --- On second thought your
                     idea for the Automatic updating of Dynamic Home Point is a very good one
                     Many can benefit if it was an option , I would probably find use for it too!!
                     Nice Video
FlySafe-FlyFree
2017-5-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-5-10 11:48
Since we are in the topic of HP..
If I started my flight and set HP to AC, then in mid flight I decided to change this to RC (if possible via SW).
If I engaged RTH, theoretically it will come home to where the RC is @....right?

It's possible if your mobile device has GPS; otherwise you can't. For example, the cellular version of the iPad Mini does include GPS but the wifi-only version doesn't, so you can't change the home point to the remote's location with the wifi version.

Yes. It will return to wherever the home point is set to, so if you updated it to be the remote's location then it would return to that location.

What if the RC disconnect, will it RTH to 1st HP?

Not if you changed it; it only keeps track of a single home point and in the case of a disconnection will return to that location.
2017-5-11
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Things to always keep in consideration.

Make sure your Mavic Batteries are fully charged.
Make sure your device (phone or tablet) has real gps that the Mavic can use to set to the RC.
If your on a boat like me for now constantly manually update your RC position in the app.

The last bit I think could be solved in software and would help users provide a semi dynamic update to the RC's position.

Also mostly important : Take a deep breath and try not to get yourself in over your head and try to many things..
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules