Passed my Section 107 test - here are some helps for you.....
3129 14 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Okay, I failed the first time around.  Lesson learned, and after that I had a heads up as to what the test actually was.  I took it again this morning and aced it, but figured any additional ideas to help other who may be taking the test soon would be useful, so here are my thoughts:
Here is a link to the best actual 107 study guide I have found, largely because it's written by the FAA itself:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf
Don't be daunted by the 624 pages!  Just learn how to read a government document - in other words, find the heading of each section, then cruise to the last two paragraphs of it to find the summary of that entire section.  In this manner, you skip 80% of the "talk about it" and get right to what they are saying and the corresponding rules they are putting in place.  Rigth up front, starting on page 10 is a summary of the main points of Section 107.  There is more knowledge to be gained by proceeding through the entire document in the manner I described above though.  What this DOES NOT cover is the aeronautical charts, weather reports, frequencies, and air space parameters.  It only covers the actual Section 107 rules.
The first test I took was made up of about 30% aeronautical charts etc.  This test was at LEAST 50% of the charts, weather reports, findign frequencies at airports for different information etc.  It was improtant to know or else I would have blown it big time.  
TIP:  As with any map, go to the legend for calrification of symbols etc that are contained on the map - this is true with the handout they give you also.  The "legend" and explanation of many of the symbols is right up front so look at it!  
TIP: Pay attention to the WORDING of each question and read it carefully!  Answer what they are asking, not necessarily what is in all the wording of the question.  There were a few questions that presented a figure in the handout to look at, which I immediately got all wrapped up in and spent minutes looking at, when the figure actually had very little if anything to do with the ACTUAL question.  This will make more sense to you if you run into one of thsoe questions, so just remember to READ THE ENTIRE question and figure out what they are asking prior to burying yourself in a diagram or chart.  
TIP: You have the option of "tagging" various questions so that you can come back to them and review the answer prior to quitting the test.  Take advantage of this!  If you don't know the answer to a question, or get your head stuck in a swirl vacuum over one, tag it and move on.  I had at least 4 questions that I had to tag and move on from, but at the end of the test, when I went back to review/answer them, it was much clearer in my head as to what they were after.  Answering other questions actually helped me to find the answer to the tagged question either through jsut getting my mindset differntly, or in actually finding solid information in the handout while researching the other questions.  
Don't stress out during the test.  Answer the questions you know the answers to and tag the ones you don't - come back to them later.

I don't have a great resource for studying the aeronautical charts to share, I wish I did.  Know the very basics of longitude and lattitude.  
Know how to "read" airport identification/frequency information and the differences between them.  
Know the basic differences between the defined airspaces.
Read the questions CAREFULLY and completely.
Take your time.
Know Section 107 (largely common sense really)
Know basic cloud formations (yes, really   )
Pay attention to CG (there were at least two questions on this and how it affects winged aircraft handling)
Have a BASIC  understanding of winged aircraft and the controls associated with them.
Study how to read a typical weather report for an airport (At least 3 questions strictly cealing with this).  If you don't, it's just a string of nonsensical numbers and gibberish.

I think that's most of it.  I hope this helps steeer someone to a first time pass on their test.  The two tiimes I took it they were VERY different tests.  A large pool of questions to draw from, so no test is identical.  
If anyone has other points of help to offer, please post them up!
Sarge out.

2017-1-18
Use props
SkySailorMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

Excellent summation. Here is a handy link for decoding METARS: http://www.wikihow.com/Read-an-Aviation-Routine-Weather-Report-(METAR). This article contains much more detail than you'll likely encounter on the exam, but you'll get the idea.
2017-1-18
Use props
TxsRooster
lvl.1

United States

Congrats.  I am hoping to follow in your footsteps shortly.  The FAA does have a Test Study guide that is only 87 pages and covers the additional things you cover.  They also have sample questions.  Here is a quick link to the website "Becoming a Pilot"  https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... s/becoming_a_pilot/
2017-1-18
Use props
COACH ALLEN
New
United States

great info.. this might be stupid.. but what is the cost of the exam? and what is the cost of the license ?
2017-1-18
Use props
SkyLit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67753 ft
United States

COACH ALLEN Posted at 2017-1-18 12:32
great info.. this might be stupid.. but what is the cost of the exam? and what is the cost of the license ?

The cost is $150 for the test itself, which includes the Part 107 cert.

The CATS website lays out everything you need to know.

http://www.catstest.com/drone-knowledge-test.php
2017-1-18
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Great write up, Ive been dreading the day I start to study for my part 107... But I need to get on it ASAP!
2017-1-18
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Glad to see others adding to the post with helpful study info!  Thanks!  The more info is available in one spot, the more time will be saved for other test takers.
Sarge
2017-1-18
Use props
rapcon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8871 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great write up.  I was a USAF air traffic controller for 25 years and lived in the FAAH 7110.65 Air Traffic Control Handbook and you did and excellent job of summarizing study notes for part 107.  Just great!
2017-1-18
Use props
rapcon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8871 ft
  • >>>
United States

rapcon Posted at 2017-1-18 14:51
Great write up.  I was a USAF air traffic controller for 25 years and lived in the FAAH 7110.65 Air Traffic Control Handbook and you did and excellent job of summarizing study notes for part 107.  Just great!

RAPCON - Radar Approach Control
2017-1-18
Use props
Airwolf13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36995 ft
United States

What a PITA for nothing!
2017-1-18
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

Thank you this is great! It's time for me to take the section 107 test!
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI Tom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I passed my UAS 107 recently and you don't have to spend a lot of money to do so. Here's my preparation experience. I used a Google app call UAS107. Used it for 70% (30% YouTube sectional chart videos) of my prep for the exam; and the app only cost me $4. Passed on my 1st try with an 85%. My total cost to pass the exam:

$4 for UAS107 app
$150 for the test exam fee
———————————–
$154.00

Here is the link to the app for anyone interested: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... otix.labs&hl=en
2017-2-22
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

Here is a great video summary for the Part 107.  
2017-2-22
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

Following.
2017-2-22
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for taking the time buddy,  I know many people can benefit from what you wrote.  It's exciting being legal!
2017-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules