Sizzle Reel of Southern California
1020 14 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

Here is the end video compilation that I did using the Phantom 4 and PolarPro Vivid Collection filters around Encinitas, Palm Springs, Los Angles, and Huntington Beach.

Hope you enjoy.

Please bump up to highest resolution you can handle.

2017-1-18
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

wow very nice! do you like your P4? Im thinking of getting one. Very nice footage
2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

eliot may Posted at 2017-1-18 16:13
wow very nice! do you like your P4? Im thinking of getting one. Very nice footage

Cheers!

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE the P4. I love it more than my Inspire for pure flying fun.

Inspire has a better cam but on just for fun, and for an enthusiast the quality is TOP NOTCH.

This video is super compressed already and it still looks good.  The original before YouTube got its hands on it, it even looked better.

FUN TO FLY.  Great video, great stills.  Can't be beat.

DJI is the leader for a reason.  It's all about learning how to do the things you want to. Flying is easy to learn, photography takes some passion to get great but you can get good stuff with the auto setting as well.

So yes, I HIGHLY recommend the Phantoms and have been flying them for many years!

Thanks.

Adam
2017-1-18
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

Very nice video. I enjoyed it thoroughly. BTW, how do you keep YouTube from stripping your music? Do you pay for rights somehow? Most of mine get the audio muted or the video is outright banned. Just curious.
2017-1-18
Use props
Clapper
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1528392 ft
United States

Some great shots of the pier! Very nice. A little cross fade transitioning would make it slow better?
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Nice job! Thanks for sharing. Were these taken through the course of the year?
2017-1-18
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-1-18 17:29
Very nice video. I enjoyed it thoroughly. BTW, how do you keep YouTube from stripping your music? Do you pay for rights somehow? Most of mine get the audio muted or the video is outright banned. Just curious.

First, thanks for the kind statement!

I have a YouTube Channel and I don't know if they consider it a partnership or something but if I use music that is copyrighted than it just sends me an email saying I can't monetize it which I don't care about. I am not trying to make $50 off of a video.  I would much rather use the appropriate music.

The annoying part is that I pretty much don't monetize any of my videos but when I use copyrighted music, Youtube is allowed to throw on little banners and advertisements and such.

People don't like when you monetize your videos so I'll sometimes get a comment on "thanks for the advertisement dude" when it's really there for the above reason. So yeah, you can use music if you don't mind banners thrown on your ads without you making any of the adsense.
2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Clapper Posted at 2017-1-18 18:28
Some great shots of the pier! Very nice. A little cross fade transitioning would make it slow better?

Thanks brother.  Always down for some criticism but I am not sure what you are saying.

I did use some cross dissolves but I also wanted to do straight cuts as they are actually more dramatic.

I am a VFX artist and former editor so I've been editing for years but I'm getting older and the new generation like a different style of editing and I am glad I am not an editor anymore.  When you say it would "make it slow better" what do you mean?

On the parts where I use cross dissolves, it's because I want to make the viewer feel there is a passage of time.  When you do a straight cut on the brat, or some sort of audio cue, it can add drama.  Good  Vibrations has a bunch of good spots for that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the advice.  Would love for you to elaborate.
2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-18 23:25
Nice job! Thanks for sharing. Were these taken through the course of the year?

Hey Jamie!

Yeah, they were taken over probably a 4-5 month period.  I wanted to put together a review for my YT channel (and tutorial on how to use them which there is that I posted in the main forum) and I kept wanting to get shots on every vacation my family took and we usually go to all the locales shown here.

It was actually pretty amazing that i got clearance from Santa Monic Airport because NOBODY can fly at the pier anymore and there is a whole funny story with that but I won't bore you with it. I like to keep a theme so I stayed generally around beaches but I have great shots in the desert, Joshua Tree, wind turbines. Some really nice stuff. LA is tough to find a place to fly but around Cali is some of the most beautiful parts of the country.

I'n driving out to Big Sur later this month just to get some footage.

But yes, this was shot over a period of several months on various vacations with all shots on the P4 and using PolarPro ND/PL filters.  Thank you so much the kind words! Love it.

2017-1-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great contrast in some of your shots
2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2017-1-19 04:26
Great contrast in some of your shots

Cheers!

I was shooting these shots for the sole purpose of trying out the PolarPro filters which is how I got that contrast.

I did ZERO color correcting other than using a LUT to convert the D-Log into REC-709 with the exception of those couple shots that have an orangy/blue look on them.  It's very obvious. But all those shots on the cliffs and of the sun, flag, etc are just the P4 and the filters straight out of the bird.

The contrast is also one of the reasons I shoot in D-Log. You get much more dynamic range through gamma via d-log rather than letting the camera do it on the fly.  

Thanks so much for the feedback!
2017-1-19
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

*NM double posted. :-x
2017-1-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-19 04:37
Cheers!

I was shooting these shots for the sole purpose of trying out the PolarPro filters which is how I got that contrast.

Thanks for the info. Thanks for posting, we look forward to more.
2017-1-20
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

very nice
i like it very much
2017-1-20
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4