Is Mavic your first drone?
1735 29 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpeedVision
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516168 ft
United States

I've been in RC for the last 40 years.  I've run nitro stadium trucks, 1/8th scale nitro buggy's, rock crawlers MOA, monster trucks nitro/electric, high speed on road cars nitro/electric, self-taught myself to fly 600 class helicopters nitro/electric, fixed wing, and drones…  Mavic is my 3rd drone.

I'd be curious on the experience level of the Mavic drone pilots out there…not to judge, nor to critique…I simply believe that it would be nice to understand the experience level of the Mavic owners that participate in this forum.  

So, entertain and enlighten us… Is Mavic your first drone and your first foray into RC???  If not, share with us your experience. Thanks!!!

2017-1-18
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

The Mavic is my first drone.

I'm a techie and mechanically inclined.  I can drive anything and understand the fundamentals of flight, have flown simulators and bought a "cheap" drone to practice with.  That said, I was holding out for a drone that was smart and small.  I wanted it as more of a photo/video platform than a quad that I could fly.  My Mavic has only seen "Sport" mode a couple times and just to show off.

My experience is in photography, so I understood that aspect before beginning.  I've been dabbling in video for a couple years, but mostly just vehicle mounted GoPro stuff.  I'd only done a couple "edits" before my Mavic videos, so the flying and editing has been a good learning experience.

I'll be curious to see other responses.
2017-1-18
Use props
fanse7d85542
New

Puerto Rico

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if go with mavic or phantom 4. I had the chance to fly the phantom 4 and feel good but I believe the mavic is better. Any advice?
I heard that phantom 4 is better under winds. Also i heaed that p4 camara is better but if you read the specs they are very similar.
Thanks
2017-1-18
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

I would HIGHLY recommend the mavic pro. I have flown my mavic under some pretty heavy winds, and it is extremely steady. Also, the footage is stunning, but it fov is a little smaller. Just make sure you tap to focus and color grade in post. Also, it is cheaper.
2017-1-18
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-18 19:50
I would HIGHLY recommend the mavic pro. I have flown my mavic under some pretty heavy winds, and it is extremely steady. Also, the footage is stunning, but it fov is a little smaller. Just make sure you tap to focus and color grade in post. Also, it is cheaper.

For the MAVIC PRO No need to tap to focus with the latest update...

I have P3A, P4, P4P, P4P+ and MAVIC PRO.

To have funnnnnn in the sunnnn = MAVIC PRO

Pro shoot = P4P or P4P +
2017-1-18
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-1-18 18:51
The Mavic is my first drone.

I'm a techie and mechanically inclined.  I can drive anything and understand the fundamentals of flight, have flown simulators and bought a "cheap" drone to practice with.  That said, I was holding out for a drone that was smart and small.  I wanted it as more of a photo/video platform than a quad that I could fly.  My Mavic has only seen "Sport" mode a couple times and just to show off.

Well the same for me, this is my First drone and have been very happy on how easy it flies
2017-1-18
Use props
Nic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 604242 ft
South Africa

My first commercial Drone

Have been flying 3D/Competition RC helicopters for 9 years and built my own drone from scratch about 5 years ago but always found the size form of the Phantoms unappealing. After flying 3D helicopters from the days of flybars and just a tail gyro, flying the mavic could not be more convenient or any easier! I've handed my remote straight to people that have never flown anything before with confidence. As easy as it is I also still really enjoy flying it!

1 x happy customer here
2017-1-18
Use props
blackite
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133927 ft
Hong Kong

First drone! Very happy with it. I do take it slowly and learn step by step. I'm not new at photography so I enjoy it even more.
2017-1-19
Use props
Gagaryn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6447 ft
United Kingdom

Mavic Pro will be my first serious drone (not ordered yet - waiting until I can pick one up locally rather than enter the online delivery lottery). I want one because I like the idea of something that is portable that I can carry around without any hassle. While I wait - I have got myself a little Syma X5HC-1 to get my chops down with! I'm getting pretty good with this thing now, can even reliably fly it about in my home from room to room without crashing into doorways anymore!
2017-1-19
Use props
YellowAstra
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1834193 ft
Switzerland

It's my first RC-Controlled thing at all. I never had something before, just watched others having fun with P3, P4 or some RC-Jets who make about 650km/h top-speed or Helicopters but never had one flown myself nor owned one. For me to have a Mavic pro was the as to speak jumpt in the cold water. I'm still learning the things I need to learn, like the Gimbal control and not making to fast movements of any kind with the drone while filming.
But I don't have problems to fly it, in my view even children can fly this drones bc it's so easy to do it. I have flown it already in very confined places like home or in the forest or inner city.
2017-1-19
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It'll be the second (if I decide to finally get the mavic and not another thing) after returning a bebop2 which flew wonderfully but had the crappiest camera you could ever imagine.
2017-1-19
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

At a guess I'd say most Mavic owners are first time drone owners due to the unexpected demand for the Mavic.  It's my first drone and I think it's really incredible yet can also be frustrating sometimes with image quality or horizon tilt.  I've taken quite a lot of footage in the two months since I got it and would imagine that I would have taken much less if I owned a Phantom.  
2017-1-19
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Ive been into rc for 130 years... Ive owned nitro.. extreme mega death laser ninja rc trucks of doom for the past 72 years .... I once climbed Everest in 14 minutes without oxygen while hopping with a class of orphan children on my back ... When im not flying to the moon strapped to the outside of a rocket... i enjoy competing in 1/4 scale nitro car racing... 100 car races... which i personally control all of them.
2017-1-19
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166476 ft
South Africa

I have been involved in all genres of aviation, and fly extensively.  I am into RC aircraft both building and flying. Put it this way, aviation is my livelihood!

Mavic Pro is my first drone, and I am totally blown away by it and all it's amazing features !

Still lots to learn!
2017-1-19
Use props
arc
lvl.2

United States

First drone. Very happy with it, but do think that the price is a bit high due to the gimbal issues I see. Its just so delicate, its hard to get reliable results from it. see thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-75439-2-1.html
2017-1-19
Use props
SpeedVision
lvl.2
Flight distance : 516168 ft
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-19 01:56
Ive been into rc for 130 years... Ive owned nitro.. extreme mega death laser ninja rc trucks of doom for the past 72 years .... I once climbed Everest in 14 minutes without oxygen while hopping with a class of orphan children on my back ... When im not flying to the moon strapped to the outside of a rocket... i enjoy competing in 1/4 scale nitro car racing... 100 car races... which i personally control all of them.

Ha! You had me until the 100 cars at once...  ;)
2017-1-19
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

Mavic will be my 2nd drone.  I currently have a P3S that I LOVE, but alas, have come to outgrow in the few short weeks I've owned her.  I am ready for something with longer range, better camera/tech and portability,  The Mavic seems to check all of those boxes.   
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-19 07:37
Mavic will be my 2nd drone.  I currently have a P3S that I LOVE, but alas, have come to outgrow in the few short weeks I've owned her.  I am ready for something with longer range, better camera/tech and portability,  The Mavic seems to check all of those boxes.

Going from the P3S to a Mavic is a huge leap. I think you are going to be very impressed.
2017-1-19
Use props
fai58
lvl.3
Flight distance : 104439 ft
United States

Mavic was my first Prosumer Drone, but I had flown couple of cheap drone which required skills to fly.  Also have flown 3D micro-helicopter from Blade, and the smaller the helicopter, the harder it is to fly, at the same time cheaper to replaced the parts if you happen to crashed.  Honestly, the fun aspect of flying an 3d helicopter were a lot higher than Mavic, but seeing the pictures/videos from Mavic were enjoyable.
2017-1-19
Use props
fanse7d85542
New

United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-18 21:48
For the MAVIC PRO No need to tap to focus with the latest update...

I have P3A, P4, P4P, P4P+ and MAVIC PRO.

And the quality of videos and pictures for P4 vs Mavic pro? Is a big difference?
2017-1-19
Use props
fanse7d85542
New

United States

UtopianCrew Posted at 2017-1-18 19:50

So the mavic can deal good with wind? I live near the beach and wind is a concern to me.
2017-1-19
Use props
Irish
lvl.2

United States

Mavic will be my first drone (Should be here tomorrow).  I have raced RC trucks and cars for years, and got into flying fixed wing about 20 years ago.

We'll see how it goes.  I can't wait.  I live on a 6 acre farm/ranch, so I should have plenty of practice space.  Maybe I can use it to herd sheep.
2017-1-19
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fanse7d85542 Posted at 2017-1-19 10:45
And the quality of videos and pictures for P4 vs Mavic pro? Is a big difference?

Not that much... If you are doing professional still shoot I will use the Phantom 4 series. For short videos shoots you can use either one. For more elaborate shoot I will use the  Phantom 4 series.

Bright sunlight, I use the P4P+, afternoon or cloudy I use P4P with MINI4 or MAVIC PRO.

In the windy, gusty weather, 15MILES AND UP, the MAVIC PRO is better for still shoot (hovering) but you might loose it if you are bringing it back  against high winds.

The P4P has more power for flying against the wind but not as steady as the MAVIC PRO when hovering in high winds.

Protect animal population. Spay or Neutered your Pet!
2017-1-19
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Basic experience in RC.  Nothing expensive before.  In order:

- Tamiya RC car
- Cheap RC heli
- Parrot AR 2.0
- Traxxas RC truck
- Syma X5
- Nano drone
- Mavic
2017-1-19
Use props
fanse7d85542
New

Puerto Rico

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-19 11:03
Not that much... If you are doing professional still shoot I will use the Phantom series. For short videos shoots you can use either one both. For more elaborate shoot I will use the Phantom.

Bright sunlight I use the P4P+ afternoon or cloudy I use P4P with MINI4 or MAVIC PRO.

Great! So the mavic pro is compared with phantom 4 pro not the phantom 4 standard... i'm right?

Thanks
2017-1-19
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Ive owned various Nitro / Electric RC's in the past, and had a Syma quadcopter before I got my Mavic. So you can say its my first Drone.
2017-1-19
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fanse7d85542 Posted at 2017-1-19 14:39
Great! So the mavic pro is compared with phantom 4 pro not the phantom 4 standard... i'm right?

Thanks

Yes... It has more features and it is a step above of the P4!

Protect animal population. Spay or Neutered your Pet!
2017-1-19
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

My MAVIC is drone number twelve or maybe fourteen.  I like it because its small, agile and long flight time/bat.  Made my first machines out of wood but they never performed as good as the Phantoms with respect to flight time and battery size.  Flew my first RC heli in 1976, a KAVAN Jet Ranger which had a 1.6m (5.2ft) dia main rotor. The thing cost about $1800 to get in the air which was a huge amount of cash in the 70's.
2017-1-19
Use props
Maverikster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24672 ft
Netherlands

Second drone and have had some RC controlled vehicles from childhood up to now. Obviously for me, the Mavic is by far the most advanced RC controlled unit ever owned. Love that thing.
2017-1-20
Use props
fans960b109d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

My first done, flew little crappy choppers few years back nothing really cool, had a traxxas 3.3 nitro truck was fun...got into photography and gopro, did some hiking edits almost had ordered a karma then the mavic launch changed everything! Two month and a bit delivery and now getting as much airtime as possible! I take it with me to work even haha, from nz southisland....
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules