Compass and red "arrow"
3285 6 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

As a new user,  I'm a bit puzzled over the red "arrow" or pointer that appears on the map/ circular "radar" like thing and the "compass lock" symbol.

I've searched around and can't seem to find the answer. What does the little "compass lock" symbol actually do?  Why does the pointer not always point in the direction the drone is pointing?  Sometimes I get a red "dot, sometimes a blue "dot" on the map.

I did find one explanation but was still a bit puzzled.... here it is below............ wonder if anyone can point (no pun there!) me in the right direction with an explanation or where there's a video for idiots like me!!

It show the compass direction on the map that the phantom is facing. If you rotate the remote with the compass icon unlocked the map will rotate in the direction the remote is facing but the Phantom icon on the map will always point to the compass direction it is facing. If you lock the compass icon the map will always stay with north at the top even if you rotate the remote, the phantom icon will still be the compass direction it is facing. The red end of the compass pointer in the corner will always point to north in either

2017-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The red arrow is a red paper plane icon to represent your Phantom and show you the direstion it is pointing.
The compass needle/padlock icon on the map window allows you to toggle the map display between north up (padlock) and course up (compass needle) orientation
2017-1-19
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-19 05:17
The red arrow is a red paper plane icon to represent your Phantom and show you the direstion it is pointing.
The compass needle/padlock icon on the map window allows you to toggle the map display between north up (padlock) and course up (compass needle) orientation

.......sorry if I'm a bit thick here!! Think I'm beginning to get the idea.   So is it better to have it locked or unlocked?  Whichever way you do it, if you turn the arrow completely around so it faces the home point (is that a blue dot or a red one.... what's the difference?) ........ you're  heading for home..... hopefully!!

2017-1-19
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-1-19 06:53
.......sorry if I'm a bit thick here!! Think I'm beginning to get the idea.   So is it better to have it locked or unlocked?  Whichever way you do it, if you turn the arrow completely around so it faces the home point (is that a blue dot or a red one.... what's the difference?) ........ you're  heading for home..... hopefully!!

You choose whichever way you prefer. Some people like one way and some the other. If you don't know which one you would like better, try both.
2017-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GeoffN Posted at 2017-1-19 06:53

Imagine a big paper map.
Is it better to use that with north up or facing the direction you are facing?
They give you a choice so you can use either.
I use the radar display much more than the map anyway.
2017-1-19
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-19 12:22
Imagine a big paper map.
Is it better to use that with north up or facing the direction you are facing?
They give you a choice so you can use either.

I think I've got it!!   Many thanks
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules