Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The FAA strikes back
925 14 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This makes for interesting reading, looks like it's been ongoing for a while now and just settled.
2017-1-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”

Two hundred grand, painful.
2017-1-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-19 17:20

Looks like they got off with a warning shot, what was interesting though was the comment on tightening the rules in USA regarding flying over populated areas.
2017-1-19
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-19 17:20

$200,000 was the settlement.  The FAA wanted 1.9 million
2017-1-19
Use props
ems12a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555863 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jetpilot Posted at 2017-1-19 19:28
$200,000 was the settlement.  The FAA wanted 1.9 million

They got off easy IMO

And the fact it's making the mainstream news is a bit disconcerting.
2017-1-19
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

ems12a@gmail.co Posted at 2017-1-19 19:52
They got off easy IMO

And the fact it's making the mainstream news is a bit disconcerting.

The upside is that there was never an accident or incident, but they seemed to be leading the industry in commercial operations before the FAA caught up and allowed commercial operations.
2017-1-19
Use props
Yac_Attack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 704426 ft
United States

I don't see the point in the FAA creating a commercial drone license. You don't need a commercial license to sell ground based photos. It doesn't make drones safer in any way. The FAA just makes up rules so they can say they are doing something about "problems".
2017-1-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is also very old news. Skypan were playing fast and loose with the rules and also safety. They were busted for this years ago, it has taken the legal process this long to reach a conclusion.
2017-1-19
Use props
ems12a
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yac_Attack Posted at 2017-1-19 22:01
I don't see the point in the FAA creating a commercial drone license. You don't need a commercial license to sell ground based photos. It doesn't make drones safer in any way. The FAA just makes up rules so they can say they are doing something about "problems".

Last time I checked DSLR's didn't have the potential to slam into a 787 Dream Liner unless attached to a drone.

Just sayin.
2017-1-19
Use props
ems12a
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-19 22:05
It is also very old news. Skypan were playing fast and loose with the rules and also safety. They were busted for this years ago, it has taken the legal process this long to reach a conclusion.

As I said in another forum the fact that this story has gained traction out side of the UAV news sites is a bit disconcerting.

It shows how much of an eye is being placed on Drones.
2017-1-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see it as not a bad thing in some respects. It makes Joe public aware that there are regulations in place, and they are being policed. The CAA in UK are positively encouraging people to fly, but out in the country. Or at least be very aware of your surroundings, safety and privacy if flying closer to a built up area.

This is an interesting one to watch on BBC iPlayer for those living in the UK:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04jyth3/drones-wtf

At 2:40 there is an interview with a CAA representative. Very positive, stick to drone code, common sense, don't do anything stupid, and enjoy flying..............No mentions at all of airspace classifications etc, it 'would seem' that by virtue of the fact that it's below 400 feet, within sight etc (basically classified as a model aircraft) then generally there won't be any problems. There is also mention made of potential change to include registration.
2017-1-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

This is the type of PR drones need , this is a search and rescue softwear being used successfully throughout west of ireland
2017-1-20
Use props
AndyD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80141 ft
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-20 06:34
I see it as not a bad thing in some respects. It makes Joe public aware that there are regulations in place, and they are being policed. The CAA in UK are positively encouraging people to fly, but out in the country. Or at least be very aware of your surroundings, safety and privacy if flying closer to a built up area.

This is an interesting one to watch on BBC iPlayer for those living in the UK:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04jyth3/drones-wtf

That's a good article. It's a shame the UK don't post this kind of info as a public service announcement at prime time TV. That way they will inform parents and children about their responsibilities when flying drones.
2017-1-20
Use props
Yac_Attack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 704426 ft
United States

ems12a@gmail.co Posted at 2017-1-19 22:17
Last time I checked DSLR's didn't have the potential to slam into a 787 Dream Liner unless attached to a drone.

Just sayin.

Yes that is true and the FAA's current airspace restrictions are reasonable and important, but my point is that whether a drone flight is for commercial reasons or not does not increase the chances of such an incident occurring. If they require any kind of license in drone flying, it should be made for all drone pilots, not just commercial drone pilots.
2017-1-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Yac_Attack Posted at 2017-1-20 23:56
Yes that is true and the FAA's current airspace restrictions are reasonable and important, but my point is that whether a drone flight is for commercial reasons or not does not increase the chances of such an incident occurring. If they require any kind of license in drone flying, it should be made for all drone pilots, not just commercial drone pilots.

I fully agree, proper pilot training/safety course should be compulsory followed by license should become mandatory. But it may take a while yet.
2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules