Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Buzzing / Jello
12Next >
3452 56 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GranCanario
Spain

The gimbal of my new P4P makes a buzzing noise in certain positions - resulting in heavy jello - footage unusable. Completely independend of rotors (does appear on the ground with motor off too. Sometimes it is gone, but mostly it's there.

The buzzing sound comes from the gimbal main motor (mounting point) - it goes away, when the phantom is tilted forward and it get's louder when tilted backward.

When the phantom was delivered the gimbal protector was mounted a bit too far to the middle (can be seen on the marks), so the gimbal was pushed backwards from factory, not sure if this can have any impact?

It still does not explain, why the gimbal is not holding still, because the buzzing is made from the gimbal itself - in the footage there appears jello mainly in the lower part of the image and the image seems to move on the "roll" axis up/down very slightly

Anyone else having this issue?

* happens with every available firmware
* calibration (all of them, multiple times) does not help
* modifing gains does not help (obviously)
* during gimbal calibration it needs a lot of time at 6% goes to 12% and goes back to 6% again - but finishes without errors
* no crashes whatsoever

Any help highly appreciated
2017-1-19
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.1

United States

There is a small screw/allen near the base of the swivel arm on the gimbal, once you extend/rotate the gimbal arm as far as it will go.  I had the same buzzing and jello effects until I tightened that down.  Went away INSTANTLY.  Maybe try that, if you haven't already?
2017-1-19
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.1

United States

Ob1415 Posted at 2017-1-19 09:57
There is a small screw/allen near the base of the swivel arm on the gimbal, once you extend/rotate the gimbal arm as far as it will go.  I had the same buzzing and jello effects until I tightened that down.  Went away INSTANTLY.  Maybe try that, if you haven't already?

This...

2017-1-19
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

I have a Phantom 4 Pro - they look (and work) different - but I've already checked all screws - thanks anyway
2017-1-19
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.1

United States

GranCanario Posted at 2017-1-19 10:04
I have a Phantom 4 Pro - they look (and work) different - but I've already checked all screws - thanks anyway

Sorry, I totally missed that you had a P4P and not a P3.  
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please upload an original video to Dropbox and post the link here?
Make sure you do not edit it at all, thanks.
2017-1-20
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

here: https://we.tl/mSi5BXWm8H

just let me know if you need footage of any other situation as well (on ground, near ground, etc)
2017-1-20
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 100226 ft
Romania

I have the exact same problem after I replaced one drone (which was always doing it) now the replacement drone is sometimes making it. Not sure, how to determine the conditions.
2017-1-20
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

just playing around inside on ground with the gimbal - looks like the gimbal is permanently correcting the horizon (roll) and cannot decide when it's level, so it rolls back and forth slightly - this can be heard by a louder as usual buzzing noise.

To test I had the drone tilt to the right in Gimbal-Follow-Mode (Gimbal was now tiltet with drone)- changed Mode to FPV: Gimbal stayed tilted. I placed the drone normally again, and the gimbal now started to level out. This leveling out got slower and slower until the horizon was level again - but it didn't stop to level-out, it was still trying to find a level horizon by rolling left/right. This process is very visible on the footage and during exactly this process the gimbal is buzzing louder as usual

(original file: https://we.tl/gio0I702RN)

(jello not visible in the vid, because of the blurring at the bottom screen - jello normally is visible most at the bottom of the image, gimbal is not blocked, Firmware is the latest, everything calibrated some hours ago, compass may be interferring because it was inside, but this is also happening outside)
2017-1-20
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-20 02:41
Would you please upload an original video to Dropbox and post the link here?
Make sure you do not edit it at all, thanks.

Are there any new informations on this subject? I uploaded genuine footage in post #7

With the current behaviour of the gimbal, it's not possible to take any videos, because they all got the wobble - look here, it happens on ground without rotors as well:

2017-1-21
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

GranCanario Posted at 2017-1-20 03:22

just let me know if you need footage of any other situation as well (on ground, near ground, etc)

My dear friend, please follow this link, http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... oblem.100494/page-2, and go through the discussion. You will understand the problem you have and also you will understand the issues that many of us have with P4P (gimbal especially). If after reading that you still have questions please let us know.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... oblem.100494/page-2
2017-1-21
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi kyphantom is me Alexdroner haha. Did you try my solution already. And for grancanario it is hard to explain how the tiny rubber would affect the gimbal. But I suspect tiny different on each rubber elastic strength can cause weird stuff to happen. Like this high frequency vibration. But your case is a bit different, May be it has stressed in a different way. Most p4p fly to the right cause jello because of this problem, replace it and bang perfect. But actually the big rubber ring does contributed a bit of the gimbal restraint. I suspect your big rubber ring has deformed slightly as well. Try to take it a part and see if has deformed then May be move it 180degree and screw it back。
2017-1-21
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Rotate it I mean, you will see why I say that once you see the big black rubber ring.
2017-1-21
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

https://youtu.be/eyrWMWEJ3Qk try this in different direction when your gimbal is vibrating, to see if there is a way to temporarily stop the vibration  If yes, problems of the tiny rubbers.
2017-1-21
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-21 16:40
Hi kyphantom is me Alexdroner haha. Did you try my solution already. And for grancanario it is hard to explain how the tiny rubber would affect the gimbal. But I suspect tiny different on each rubber elastic strength can cause weird stuff to happen. Like this high frequency vibration. But your case is a bit different, May be it has stressed in a different way. Most p4p fly to the right cause jello because of this problem, replace it and bang perfect. But actually the big rubber ring does contributed a bit of the gimbal restraint. I suspect your big rubber ring has deformed slightly as well. Try to take it a part and see if has deformed then May be move it 180degree and screw it back。

Thanks for replying. DJI has replaced my drone (unfortunately with a used gimbal) with similar problems now. You can feel for example that the gimbal vibration absorbers are very soft (deformed) and I suspect this is from the force (pressure) exercised by the gimbal lock. (totally wrong design). I asked again a replacement with a new drone or refund. - sorry there is no hope with the current design of the P4P.
2017-1-21
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-21 16:47
https://youtu.be/eyrWMWEJ3Qk try this in different direction when your gimbal is vibrating, to see if there is a way to temporarily stop the vibration  If yes, problems of the tiny rubbers.

Yes, it is as you suggest. Can you check also this video?
2017-1-21
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The noise sound like the internal fan causing the case vibration, loosen the screw with Allen key and tighten it again should fixed it, indeed the fan might be a better airflow design but a higher vibration design as well. You can try the live feed or slightly touch the camera to see if it is vibrating. Trust me even through some parts are bad designed, but with some little fix, it will be prefect. I can take 4s long exposure in almost all conditions. The gimbal lock can be deform using hair dryer and the p4 absorber set can be bought from eBay, I will guide you thought the replacement process.
2017-1-22
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I mean the screw from the case not just the screw from the gimbal.
2017-1-22
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It is no point replacing with dji, they basically saying that all p4p are equally and having the same problem, so it is not a problem instead a design limitation, all they have to do is lower the gimbal lock by may be like 2mm and it can solve many of the gimbal problem out there, like when flying to the right gimbal reach end point and roll, 2. When turn it on gimbal is not pointing prefect to the front (people say that as gimbal misalignment), and the high frequency vibration. All are caused by the tiny rubber and even the big o ring rubber, the 4 tiny rubbers are the most crtical. As the 4 tiny rubbers lossen strength of cause the entire gimbal will fall to the heavy side Which causing the misalignment.
2017-1-22
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

HI Alexdroner - my gimbal does buzz in neutral position also - I can stop it temporarely by just very very slightly push it to the front (just putting the finger on "heatsink" of the gimbal can be enough to stop it buzzing). When I put away the finger (pressure) it stays silent for ~1sec and starts buzzing again. So yes, it could be related to the rubber thingies. Totally possible that the factory lock has overstressed/deformed those
2017-1-22
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Oh for your case it sound to me just the case vibration caused by the internal fan, touch the camera to see if you feel the vibration. To fix the case vibration just lossen all the outer screw and 're tighten it
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

GranCanario Posted at 2017-1-20 03:22

Thanks, I've transferred it to our engineers for evaluation, will get back to you once I get any news.
2017-1-22
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-22 03:38
Thanks, I've transferred it to our engineers for evaluation, will get back to you once I get any news.

Thanks Natalia - maybe tell them, that during Gimbal Calibration the Gimbal stays at 6% (buzzing) very long, jumps to 12% shortly and steps back to 6% again. Calibration process is not failing and will finish. During this process the gimbal is buzzing. Sometimes it is not buzzing and the calibration is much faster

is this a mechanical defect anywhere which I can check or fix?
2017-1-22
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

Also pls see this video:

After tilting the drone, the buzzing starts, I just can gently push it with my finger and the buzzing stops again. Not sure which motor is making the buzz, but this buzz is inducing jello in the footage
2017-1-22
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-22 01:30
The noise sound like the internal fan causing the case vibration, loosen the screw with Allen key and tighten it again should fixed it, indeed the fan might be a better airflow design but a higher vibration design as well. You can try the live feed or slightly touch the camera to see if it is vibrating. Trust me even through some parts are bad designed, but with some little fix, it will be prefect. I can take 4s long exposure in almost all conditions. The gimbal lock can be deform using hair dryer and the p4 absorber set can be bought from eBay, I will guide you thought the replacement process.

Alexdroner, thank you very much, You are really very good man, trying to help, I appreciate it. DJI should have such people in their support, they would have had much better support service!
2017-1-22
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

2017-1-22
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-22 01:32
I mean the screw from the case not just the screw from the gimbal.

There is a number of screws on the case, which one are you referring at?
2017-1-22
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Try the tighten gimbal screw first, if not work try to listen and tighten the rest on the case.
2017-1-22
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

For grancanario I think your buzzing is indeed another problem, that I have never seen, you better replace it with dji for that one.
2017-1-22
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-22 10:30
Try the tighten gimbal screw first, if not work try to listen and tighten the rest on the case.

Alexdroner, can you show the screws on photo please?
2017-1-22
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Just all these screw, just try losses and tighten...
14851243884801653623068.jpg
1485124413939-1405910122.jpg
1485124428034-368412349.jpg
2017-1-22
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

I think it's safe to say, the buzzing happens at 45° gimbal angle and has the most jello in that position - having it on the ground it looks like the gimbal is trying to stabilize its OWN vibration, which leads to even more vibration.

Anyone know how the gimbal is gathering information? does it feature it's own IMU or does it use one of the IMUs of the aircraft, if yes, which one?
2017-1-23
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-22 14:34
Just all these screw, just try losses and tighten...

Many thanks for help Alexdroner!
2017-1-23
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GranCanario Posted at 2017-1-23 04:57
I think it's safe to say, the buzzing happens at 45° gimbal angle and has the most jello in that position - having it on the ground it looks like the gimbal is trying to stabilize its OWN vibration, which leads to even more vibration.

Anyone know how the gimbal is gathering information? does it feature it's own IMU or does it use one of the IMUs of the aircraft, if yes, which one?

If the buzzing happen at 45degrees that is exactly the same as our problem which I have fixed, just change the tiny vibration absorber bubble. Buy the p4 vibration absorber set part 32 and take those rubber and replace it to your p4p. That is it, it will solve all your problem, believe it or not.
2017-1-24
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.3

United Kingdom

kykphantom Posted at 2017-1-23 09:42
Many thanks for help Alexdroner!

I like people that actually think and do test.
2017-1-24
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

DJI, why does this solve my Gimbal Buzzing and Jello? (Mainly, the coin on th back of the camera - once attached, the gimbal is not buzzing anymore and there is no jello in video - if I remove the coin, jello and buzzing again)

2017-1-24
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Cyprus

GranCanario Posted at 2017-1-24 07:06
DJI, why does this solve my Gimbal Buzzing and Jello? (Mainly, the coin on th back of the camera - once attached, the gimbal is not buzzing anymore and there is no jello in video - if I remove the coin, jello and buzzing again)

[view_image]

Nice idea, but if DJI starts putting coins on gimbals can you imagine how much money they will loose? {:4_142:}
2017-1-24
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-22 03:38

Hi Natalia - are there any news about this topic? gimbal buzzing?

* buzzing stops when a weight is attached to the camera
* buzzing stops when the foam piece is attached
* buzzing stops when drone tilts forward
* sometimes (but rarely) it does not buzz at all
* mostly starts when tilting drone backwards or to the right
* sometimes it starts by putting the drone on ground

I've already retightned all accessible screws and I guess it is the topmost gimbal motor which is actually buzzing

is this a firmware or a mechanical fault of the gimbal motors? I really would like to know if you have any news to this issue because it looks like many pilots have similar issues with variing intesity and frequency
2017-2-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

GranCanario Posted at 2017-2-9 12:33
Hi Natalia - are there any news about this topic? gimbal buzzing?

* buzzing stops when a weight is attached to the camera

The original footage you uploaded on #7 has been deleted, right?
2017-2-12
Use props
GranCanario
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-12 00:44
The original footage you uploaded on #7 has been deleted, right?

it gets automatically removed after 1 week. but it is without a doubt a vibrating gimbal issue
2017-2-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules