Finally!

TACO Lens Hood

2017-1-19
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I love that people are making these, but $20 for one that is 3D printed is just way too much. I see there are plastic molded versions on ebay and amazon for $23 which are going to be stronger and more durable, not to mention that they don't look like they were printed in my neighbor's garage. 3D printing is great for prototypes, but if you are going to sell in quantity, you need REAL manufacturing.
Case in point:

$23 on Amazon <- click here

2017-1-19
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I ordered the one from FStop a couple of weeks ago and got a tracking number yesterday.  I'll let you know my impressions in a day or two.
2017-1-19
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I would love to hear your review of it. I have not yet ordered one, because I am still waiting for my Mavic. And, I may actually change my order to a P4pro before the Mavic actually ships.
2017-1-19
Use props
MyFirstDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222500 ft
United States

dana5 Posted at 2017-1-19 10:15
I love that people are making these, but $20 for one that is 3D printed is just way too much. I see there are plastic molded versions on ebay and amazon for $23 which are going to be stronger and more durable, not to mention that they don't look like they were printed in my neighbor's garage. 3D printing is great for prototypes, but if you are going to sell in quantity, you need REAL manufacturing.
Case in point:

I ordered the Fstop hood through Amazon about a week ago...  I agree, it looks molded and more sturdy (and like it belongs on the Mavic) than the 3d printed ones floating around.    Really eager to get it!   Griffith, please do let us know what you think of yours.
2017-1-19
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

MyFirstDrone Posted at 2017-1-19 14:25
I ordered the Fstop hood through Amazon about a week ago...  I agree, it looks molded and more sturdy (and like it belongs on the Mavic) than the 3d printed ones floating around.    Really eager to get it!   Griffith, please do let us know what you think of yours.

Received the FStop hood today. It fits well and is substantially strong. I haven't had a chance to fly, as it's been raining all afternoon.  I did do some inside testing to check that the hood is not visible within the full extent of the gimbal.

I will say that the workmanship is only moderately better than 3D printer quality, that is the surfaces are not smooth or even matted texture; rather, they are slightly rough. It appears to be molded, but with a crudely finished (polished) mold - probably straight off the milling machine.  However, he edges are clean and angles are crisp, and it does attach as well and securely as the DJI clear cover. The color is flat black.  Flying test will probably be delayed several days due to weather.
2017-1-21
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

wow... for something thats 3d printed, $25 USD is quite a bit....
2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules