GHz vs Mhz - Please HELP
703 7 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nomad-MAT
lvl.1
Zambia

I have an important question that I need help with. Because I'm not too versed in frequency bands, I wanted to post something here. If you have any official documentation, all the better. The question is this... Can a Phantom 4, operating at 2.4 Ghz cause interference to a communications tower, operating at 100-250 Mhz? The tower was 2.3 km away and 60 meters higher than the drone was flying. Do these frequency bands easily overlap and would it be likely for the drone to cause interference?
Thank you in advance.
2017-1-19
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

Without me doing any research and half guessing I would say that any AC on 2.n could cause a little bit of interference. However those communication towers put out so much more watts of power that any Phantom interference would be minimal. As an example, a radio station puts out so much juice that our radios play the music and the interference that exists hardly makes a difference. As we drive further away from the tower we start hearing other signals on our car radios, the transmission with the most power wins.
2017-1-19
Use props
Nomad-MAT
lvl.1
Zambia

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-19 22:07
Without me doing any research and half guessing I would say that any AC on 2.n could cause a little bit of interference. However those communication towers put out so much more watts of power that any Phantom interference would be minimal. As an example, a radio station puts out so much juice that our radios play the music and the interference that exists hardly makes a difference. As we drive further away from the tower we start hearing other signals on our car radios, the transmission with the most power wins.

I'm trying to build an argument against the statement that "a GHz signal is a more powerful than a MHz one" and that in reality, they're just two different bands on the spectrum. Like you mentioned, the one with the most power behind it usually wins.
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I would agree that it is not the actual frequency that you would need to worry about, but the overall electrical output coming from said tower.
2017-1-19
Use props
Nomad-MAT
lvl.1
Zambia

Do you know of any articles that talk about the same?
2017-1-19
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Nomad-MAT Posted at 2017-1-19 22:55
Do you know of any articles that talk about the same?

Power is measured in watts or in our case milliwatts.  Milli meaning 1/1000 of a watt.
The two frequencies are so far apart there should never be interference between the two.
There is way more danger the higher power station will overpower the low power station and cause problems such as desensitizing the receiver in the low power station, causing signals to be blocked on the low power station.
2017-1-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WD9EON Posted at 2017-1-20 19:00
Power is measured in watts or in our case milliwatts.  Milli meaning 1/1000 of a watt.
The two frequencies are so far apart there should never be interference between the two.
There is way more danger the higher power station will overpower the low power station and cause problems such as desensitizing the receiver in the low power station, causing signals to be blocked on the low power station.

Very good explanation. I have actually flown up close to a communications tower near my property, about 1.5 kilometres away from me, and I did an orbit around the tower without experiencing any problems. But as WD9EON talks about what is termed front end overload, it is a distinct possiblility.
2017-1-20
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

No if that were true  radio 2 way communications would be a mess. 2.4 g is way higher than 250 m now way would that inter fear.  If it did wifi would not exist.
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules