Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don’t Mess Up Your Night Shots!
12Next >
22457 60 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

If you’re flying at night, you may get some red light in your shots, like in this photo:
       image1.png

That light is coming from your front LEDs. Chances are you’ll get this if you’re flying forward and your camera’s facing forward. Having the front LEDs on is nice, because it allows you to see your drone clearly and easily distinguish between the head and the tail. But your shots don’t have to be ruined! There are two ways to solve this:

1. Before you snap a photo or start recording a video, you can turn off your Front LEDs under Advanced MC Settings. Tap the drone icon at the top of the Camera View, scroll down to and select Advanced Settings, and move the “Turn on Front LEDs” slider to the off position.

image2.png

2. Alternatively, you can set the LEDs to turn off automatically when you start recording or take a photo. This option is under Camera Settings.

image3.png

We recommend option 2, since having the front LEDs on at night will make sure your aircraft is as visible as possible when you’re not shooting or recording. Additionally, you’ll be able to keep track of the head and the tail more easily. Safety first!

image4.png

Thanks for reading everyone! If you have any tips for flying at night, let us know in the thread or comments. Follow DJI Support on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for more tricks, tips and advice.

Notice: Please make sure to follow your local law and regulations when flying at night.

2017-1-19
Use props
Brela
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5755 ft
United Kingdom

This is a useful tip.

Wish I had my Mavic which I ordered 1st of November from Drones Direct so I could make use of it.
2017-1-20
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I wonder how that shot was made in focus. With such light, I cannot focus at all...
2017-1-20
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.1
United States

Great tip! Thank you!!
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

is there a way to set the left trigger to turn off and on the red leds on the p3a
2017-1-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

Don’t Mess Up Your Night Shots!

Or I will find you...

and I will.......

turn the red lights off for you.
2017-1-20
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Nice tip. Is there a way to manually focus the Mavic Pro? Low light hampers the autofocus feature.
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

My only crash was because I turned the light off at night, I was going to take some shots and about 30 feet in the air I lost the compass. With no light I was not able to guide it down without crashing. That's why I wanted to know if we can set the left trigger to control on/off for the leds.
2017-1-20
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Mindy, I have used this feature on all of my aircraft, accept my Inspire 1. The Mavic and Phantom will definitely see the red glare at night in the shots.

All the best
Rich
2017-1-20
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

timbo Posted at 2017-1-20 10:19
My only crash was because I turned the light off at night, I was going to take some shots and about 30 feet in the air I lost the compass. With no light I was not able to guide it down without crashing. That's why I wanted to know if we can set the left trigger to control on/off for the leds.

You can also assign the C2 button to toggle the LED's
2017-1-20
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Were you not able to go back into settings to turn the red lights back on?
2017-1-20
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Great Tip, I always keep my settings for the front lights on auto off.
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-20 11:18
Were you not able to go back into settings to turn the red lights back on?

I did not have time, the compass went out and the drone started to drift. like I said it was night. I did the best I could to guess the orientation of the drone without the lights but I still crashed it.
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-20 11:18
Great Tip, I always keep my settings for the front lights on auto off.

Wom Casey Neistat is on this forum. Cool!
2017-1-20
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

timbo Posted at 2017-1-20 11:33
Wom Casey Neistat is on this forum. Cool!

Sorry, Im not Casey... Just another fan of his work lol.
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-20 11:36
Sorry, Im not Casey... Just another fan of his work lol.

Bummer I was going to borrow some money.
2017-1-20
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

timbo Posted at 2017-1-20 11:32
I did not have time, the compass went out and the drone started to drift. like I said it was night. I did the best I could to guess the orientation of the drone without the lights but I still crashed it.

That sucks, I totally understand its hard not to panic when stuff starts going wrong. Best thing to do is try to keep calm. Reading the manual and expecting the worst to happen usually helps. One of my flights I was over water and I hit RTH and nothing happened. I started to panic since the Mavic wasnt moving. Tried to bring it in manually and nothing happened. I ended up waiting a little bit and tried to bring it back in and it worked. Very Scary! Just try to keep your nerves cool when something goes wrong is my advise!
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-20 11:40
That sucks, I totally understand its hard not to panic when stuff starts going wrong. Best thing to do is try to keep calm. Reading the manual and expecting the worst to happen usually helps. One of my flights I was over water and I hit RTH and nothing happened. I started to panic since the Mavic wasnt moving. Tried to bring it in manually and nothing happened. I ended up waiting a little bit and tried to bring it back in and it worked. Very Scary! Just try to keep your nerves cool when something goes wrong is my advise!

I have gotten careless on more than one occasion, I have flown quadcopters for a few years now. I got to reliant on the gps. Every mistake is a learning experience.
2017-1-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-1-20 08:13
Nice tip. Is there a way to manually focus the Mavic Pro? Low light hampers the autofocus feature.

There is a way to manually focus via an on-screen slider. Tap the green box to the left of the AE Lock icon to toggle between auto and manual focus modes.
2017-1-20
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Have the front leds bound to the 5d stick in litchi.
2017-1-20
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-20 13:32
There is a way to manually focus via an on-screen slider. Tap the green box to the left of the AE Lock icon to toggle between auto and manual focus modes.

Awesome!  Next time I have a chance, I'll play with that. Thanks!
2017-1-20
Use props
MazatlanMexicoD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2464 ft
Mexico

Great heads up on the auto-off Mindy!  I have been turning them off and on manually.  Thanks!
2017-1-20
Use props
QuadPop
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1305285 ft
United States

Good tip. Also remember to turn off Auto-ISO at night and manually adjust it to a low setting. It will greatly reduce image noise.
2017-1-21
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Nees Posted at 2017-1-20 06:26
I wonder how that shot was made in focus. With such light, I cannot focus at all...

Same here. I couldn't even get it to focus in twilight the other day. The sun wasn't even completely gone, yet. I spent about a minute and a half tapping away on my screen, trying to get it to focus. I then just gave up.
2017-1-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I set C2 for the red lights.
2017-1-21
Use props
jalwhit
lvl.1

Philippines

Super helpful! Thanks.
2017-1-21
Use props
fans28d59702
New

United States

did you do alot damage?
2017-1-21
Use props
TrevorSK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Brela Posted at 2017-1-20 05:26
This is a useful tip.

Wish I had my Mavic which I ordered 1st of November from Drones Direct so I could make use of it.

I know it's frustrating, but I think the longer you wait, the more well-built your Mavic could be. Assembly lines are sometimes plagued with problems at first, and then get then better a few months later. The longer you wait, the less chance of a manufacture flaw in your hardware.
2017-1-21
Use props
TrevorSK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

What was your ISO set at?  and any other exposure settings?
2017-1-21
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Is that screenshot of the app for the Mavic?   It had me confused because the current Go App looks nothing like that, and this thread is under Phantom.
2017-1-21
Use props
watuse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

Thank you for this amazing tip
2017-1-21
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

The best advice is as Mindy said  use the auto off but if you have to turn them off, in your situation a slow pan until you could see the green tail light and you could come home in reverse, It is hard to think fast during an incident.
2017-1-22
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Australia

The best advice is as Mindy said  use the auto off but if you have to turn them off, in your situation a slow pan until you could see the green tail light and you could come home in reverse, It is hard to think fast during an incident.
2017-1-22
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

Only broken props, nothing else was damaged.
2017-1-22
Use props
timbo
lvl.3
United States

VisionAir Posted at 2017-1-22 02:09

I changed the right trigger to turn the light off and on
2017-1-22
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

why does iphone have different settings than android?? i dont have those settings
2017-1-22
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

VisionAir Posted at 2017-1-22 02:11

you could also use home lock
2017-1-22
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Australia

boostedford Posted at 2017-1-22 19:09
you could also use home lock

So true, it all about trying think fast and not panic
2017-1-23
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Australia

timbo Posted at 2017-1-22 18:11
I changed the right trigger to turn the light off and on

I just use the auto off that way it is one less thing my brain has to process LoL
2017-1-23
Use props
spoonlamp_
lvl.1
Flight distance : 301506 ft
Netherlands

timbo Posted at 2017-1-20 07:12
is there a way to set the left trigger to turn off and on the red leds on the p3a

Mavic also - mapped to one of the C buttons for me. I like to have them off for most of the time for night flying but will turn them on once I've got my shots/finished my shoot.
2017-1-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules