1233 15 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6516 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic Pro is having focus issues.  I have already received advice from Ken to restore factory settings, which I did.  But the problem is persisting.  I have used it on 3 real estate shoots - low wind speed, low altitude, calibrated - and the images and video are all unuseable.  I also noticed in the footage that my horizon line appears crooked.  I sat it on my counter at home and turned it on...sure enough it is.  I had to adjust my gimbal roll to -1.0  
What are my options?  Can I return it?  Can it be serviced?  Is this a common problem?  Is this drone for hobbyists?  Was I mistaken in believing it could be used professionally in real estate shoots?  I thought it was the perfect size solution, but I am so disappointed with the picture quality.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I feel like I should trade this in for a Phantom.
2017-1-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Yes, this is common.  Return it & get a new one.  This is what I did on my first 2 Mavics with the same issue & I am much happier not dealing with after-sales support about a broken brand new Mavic.  I actually had a new one show up before I returned one.  I used Best Buy for everything.

Get one that is properly manufactured and it'll certainly be well-suited for your RE shoots.  

2017-1-20
Use props
Webassign
lvl.2
United States

Can you post some screenshots? I think I have some focus issue as well but not sure if it's setting problem.
2017-1-20
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sure...I have so many.  Let me pull a few.  I ended up putting it in for a repair.  I received the drone as a gift over the holidays (although I requested it!) and started flying it in January.  I kept thinking it was my own user error.  Literally spent HOURS and HOURS on YouTube trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to focus.  I thought I had something wrong in my settings.  I've had to reshoot 4 different real estate listings (time is money - ugh) and even those reshoots were awful.  Tapping to focus throughout my shoots with the Mavic caused visual glitches when the camera would attempt to grab focus.  I reassigned the focus to C1 and C2 and I STILL had issues.  And I can't even talk about the photos.  Every single one -- no matter what I did -- soft.

Yesterday, I went out and bought a Phantom 4 Pro as I can't be without a drone for business.  I sent it up -- and BOOM.  Perfect exposure, perfect crisp video -- no issues whatsoever.   I don't know what I'm going to do about the Mavic.  I don't think I can return it.  I'm sending it in for repair today.  We'll see what I get back.  Hopefully, they'll repair the issues and I can sell it.

I'll post pics shortly.
2017-1-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kerry, since you had sent it in, our engineers will help to evaluate your drone.
If you have any query about the require service, please feel free to let me know.
2017-1-21
Use props
BradC234
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219770 ft
Canada

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-21 09:16
Sure...I have so many.  Let me pull a few.  I ended up putting it in for a repair.  I received the drone as a gift over the holidays (although I requested it!) and started flying it in January.  I kept thinking it was my own user error.  Literally spent HOURS and HOURS on YouTube trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to focus.  I thought I had something wrong in my settings.  I've had to reshoot 4 different real estate listings (time is money - ugh) and even those reshoots were awful.  Tapping to focus throughout my shoots with the Mavic caused visual glitches when the camera would attempt to grab focus.  I reassigned the focus to C1 and C2 and I STILL had issues.  And I can't even talk about the photos.  Every single one -- no matter what I did -- soft.

Yesterday, I went out and bought a Phantom 4 Pro as I can't be without a drone for business.  I sent it up -- and BOOM.  Perfect exposure, perfect crisp video -- no issues whatsoever.   I don't know what I'm going to do about the Mavic.  I don't think I can return it.  I'm sending it in for repair today.  We'll see what I get back.  Hopefully, they'll repair the issues and I can sell it.

I had a similar focus issue AFTER I got my unit back from repair... had to send it out AGAIN! I should be getting the new one back Wednesday so hopefully they FINALLY solved the issue. QC at DJI is an absolute joke in my opinion... coming from a Mechanical Engineering backround this stuff would not fly with our customers lol!
2017-1-21
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-21 19:26
Hi Kerry, since you had sent it in, our engineers will help to evaluate your drone.
If you have any query about the require service, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks Mindy!  I appreciate your commenting here.  I will keep you posted.  I am shipping it in Monday.  Just received my label for UPS.  
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-22 12:19
Thanks Mindy!  I appreciate your commenting here.  I will keep you posted.  I am shipping it in Monday.  Just received my label for UPS.

Happy to help. :-)
2017-1-23
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Mindy question - should I ship back everything?  Is there a possibility for a refund?   I just purchased (and registered) the Phantom 4 Pro as the Mavic wasn't focusing.
2017-1-25
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

BradC234 Posted at 2017-1-21 20:51
I had a similar focus issue AFTER I got my unit back from repair... had to send it out AGAIN! I should be getting the new one back Wednesday so hopefully they FINALLY solved the issue. QC at DJI is an absolute joke in my opinion... coming from a Mechanical Engineering backround this stuff would not fly with our customers lol!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zjm8k ... chuDUrr49vkjSa?dl=0

You can see the tapping to focus in the videos.  The jpegs are just fuzzy.
2017-1-25
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-25 05:18
Mindy question - should I ship back everything?  Is there a possibility for a refund?   I just purchased (and registered) the Phantom 4 Pro as the Mavic wasn't focusing.

Mindy I just sent you a PM with my case #.  Could you add a dropbox link to my case?  I didn't see a spot (or maybe missed it inadvertently) when I was filing.  
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-25 09:48
Mindy I just sent you a PM with my case #.  Could you add a dropbox link to my case?  I didn't see a spot (or maybe missed it inadvertently) when I was filing.

Sorry for the late reply due to Chinese New Year holiday and I didn't receive your PM.
Could you please provide me with the case number here?
2017-2-3
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-3 03:12
Sorry for the late reply due to Chinese New Year holiday and I didn't receive your PM.
Could you please provide me with the case number here?

No problem - Happy New Year!  They actually received it and already detected the problem.  They are repairing something with the gimbal and it's covered under warranty.  Won't affect my Care Refresh program.
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-2-3 11:21
No problem - Happy New Year!  They actually received it and already detected the problem.  They are repairing something with the gimbal and it's covered under warranty.  Won't affect my Care Refresh program.

Thank you for your update. :-)
2017-2-4
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

So what are you going to do, sell the Mavic when you get it back and keep the P4?
2017-2-4
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-4 11:46
So what are you going to do, sell the Mavic when you get it back and keep the P4?

Yes - I think that's the plan.  
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules