Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Use Google Maps on Android (NO ROOT REQUIRED)
13449 23 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronefoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5689 ft
United States

This is clearly an at your own risk & proof of concept post/method.

I'm not responsible if you crash your drone, etc., etc., etc.

Once you are familiar with the procedure you have to do it all fairly quickly to get it to work.

This works on a non-rooted Galaxy S7 Edge with only DJI GO 4 installed, and may work on other Android devices -- YMMV

With that said ..

If it is not enabled already, enable "Developer options" on your phone/device:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-enable-developer-mode-galaxy-s7

After that is enabled you will have the new option 'Developer options' in your Settings.

Procedure:

1.  Reboot your phone

2. Make sure nothing else is running. So Close all open/running apps. Use Recent button (bottom left button with the 2 windows) + "CLOSE ALL"

3. Open DJI GO 4 and "Enter Device" or "Go Fly" ::: make sure the Here map is open and on bottom left window. You can test this out without connecting to your drone by just using "Enter Device" while not connected to the drone.

4. While DJI GO 4 is open :: Pull down the top notification bar, go to phone Settings, tap Developer options, then tap "Running services"

You will now see all the currently running services on the phone, notice at least 3 "DJI GO 4" entries .....each with 1 process and x number of services.
Tap the first one, it will open and show an option to "STOP" the service connected to this process.   Tap STOP.
Now, go Back to the list of Running services, and keep going through each "DJI GO 4" entry and tapping every "STOP" you see until ALL of them are GONE from the Running services list.

Note: This will take a few times of tapping on DJI GO 4 process and tapping STOP on the connected service.  Going back, and doing the next one, next one, next one, etc.
Some DJI GO4 entries will have 5 or 6 sub services that must be stopped, so scroll down and keep hitting STOP on each, and go back to Running services list.
Eventually, they will not come back to the list of Running services.

Once you are sure you are back on the Running services list, and you see no more DJI GO 4 processes listed here, then you are ALMOST there.

5. So here's the trick, Go to "More" on the top right corner, then "Show cached processes", and tap each DJI GO 4  listed here and "STOP" - There should be 2 DJI GO 4 processes in cached processes to stop.

Once they are gone from the cached processes list, tap your Recent button (bottom left button with the 2 windows) and switch back to the currently open/running DJI GO4 app.

The screen will go black for about a second or so, then reappear, but with Google Maps instead of Here

Remember, this was tested/works on my S7 Edge, so some variation for your device may need to be done, but at least you now get the concept.

Hope you get it to work. DJI may patch it eventually.

2017-1-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

And don't reboot or it's back to step #2.  
2017-1-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Hey while you're in there, you should change the 3 animations settings to 0.5x.  You'll feel more speed.  

IN FACT, I noticed DJI do this on the built-in screen on the P4P+ to get that slow device to seem faster.

2017-1-21
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

sweet thanks for this. just sucks you have to go thru this every time you reboot phone. also it cleared a ton of memory by closing all the processed wow!

edit: you have to do this every time the app is launched it doesnt stick if you exit then go back
2017-1-21
Use props
4wd
First Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Works with Samsung S5 too.
I have seen the Here maps fail to launch on occasion and it defaults to google then too - but only the once.
2017-1-22
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Not working for me unfortunately. Also on  Galaxy S7 Edge with only DJI GO 4.  No instance of it cached at step 5.  Wonder if it is effected by phone region.  Anyone in Australia  got it to work?
2017-1-22
Use props
AvLS6OLlF1Pi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

I just did this on my Galaxy Tab S2.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks for figuring this out.
2017-1-22
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

do nfz still show up on the maps when this is done,  I am trying to understand a post in another tread stating that the nfz are in  the maps, on the Mavic and  p3/4   thus they could be a little different,,  I assume if they are programed in the maps that come with the unit,  that if you are using a different  map in the program it may or may not show them,,,  do they  show up on   like latichi?   just interested
2017-1-26
Use props
Slide71
lvl.1

Germany

Logger Posted at 2017-1-22 02:59
Not working for me unfortunately. Also on  Galaxy S7 Edge with only DJI GO 4.  No instance of it cached at step 5.  Wonder if it is effected by phone region.  Anyone in Australia  got it to work?

Does not work with me unfortunately:-(

Here map in my region(germany) are horrible.

2017-1-28
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.4

United States

I am good until step 5.  I don't see the "more"  on the top right coner but when i got the show cached processes there isn't anything there.  Any ideas?
2017-1-30
Use props
patratel
lvl.1
Romania

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2017-1-30 07:21
I am good until step 5.  I don't see the "more"  on the top right coner but when i got the show cached processes there isn't anything there.  Any ideas?

Ask DJI crew to put back Google Maps on DJI Go4.
More voices, more hope for change.
2017-2-8
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

LOL. Thanks for sharing. Really helpful!
2017-2-8
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

HWKIDD Posted at 2017-1-26 13:24
do nfz still show up on the maps when this is done,  I am trying to understand a post in another tread stating that the nfz are in  the maps, on the Mavic and  p3/4   thus they could be a little different,,  I assume if they are programed in the maps that come with the unit,  that if you are using a different  map in the program it may or may not show them,,,  do they  show up on   like latichi?   just interested

The zonse are also accessible in Google Maps. That function seems to be a layer available no matter if HERE or Google Maps is active.

This procedure switching to Google works on my K1...
2017-3-1
Use props
MikeQView
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Many thanks for someone spending the time to get it to work,  But , Come on DJI,  please just put the maps back to Google,   my 4 year old APM looks far better than my bang up to date Mavic does !     Pah !
2017-3-1
Use props
dronefoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5689 ft
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-3-1 05:27
Many thanks for someone spending the time to get it to work,  But , Come on DJI,  please just put the maps back to Google,   my 4 year old APM looks far better than my bang up to date Mavic does !     Pah !

This is my guess as to why they moved away from Google:

https://developer.here.com/plans

https://developers.google.com/maps/pricing-and-plans/

Take a look at both plans, and which one is cheaper?

Google must of told them they must use an Asset tracking plan?

One business decision saves money.   Sure.
But at what cost?  If DJI customers pay the most money for the best Drones, DJI should do the same for internal components and maps.

HERE maps shows me you get what you pay for.  I tried to use their maps to fly Hybrid mode, and I had nothing but cloud cover, and the maps are outdated.  

If it was up to me, I would pay for the Google Maps API.   It's funny that a big corporation decides not to spend for quality, when they charge the most and consider their product the highest quality in the category.. makes you wonder if any components may have been skimped in a similar fashion? .. This GPS chip costs $.50 less - DONE.
2017-3-1
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is straightforward to do but rather tedious. Is this something you need to do each time you restart the Tablet or GO 4 in order to get Google Maps?
Thanks,
Marty
2017-3-25
Use props
sgtfury_11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151614 ft
United States

Works on my Zenpad Z10. Awesome!
2017-3-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Instead of going thru this every time you fly, download Litchi and enjoy a better flight experience, Litchi uses google maps.
2017-3-25
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-3-25 10:14
Instead of going thru this every time you fly, download Litchi and enjoy a better flight experience, Litchi uses google maps.

Thanks. Have Litchi but have not yet used. Will give it a go.
Marty
2017-3-26
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-3-25 10:14

So, you do need to disable all the services each time???
2017-3-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 2017-3-26 05:38
So, you do need to disable all the services each time???

Not if you use litchi, I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for?
2017-3-26
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-3-26 07:03
Not if you use litchi, I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for?

Should have asked if services need to be disabled in GO each time you restart GO or Tablet not with Litchi to get Google maps?
2017-3-28
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Works on my Samsung S5. Some hack needs to write an app that kills all  those processes for us.
2017-3-28
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Thanks !
Just so everyone knows, if you have root you "patch away" the Here Service for DJI GO permanently...
One more reason to root :-)

Nils
2017-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules