Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tips on converting videos for editing on Mac
2306 8 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GMG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I'm interested in learning a bit more from people who've done the hard yards adapting and tweaking the video they pull from their Mavics/Phantoms/Inspires and bringing it into an NLE for editing.  I'd like edit my videos into 2.7 - 4K and have made a number of attempts to first convert the .mov files so that they flow smoothly in the NLE, but the output that I'm getting hasn't been great and often the resolution is poor.  For people who are creating similar high resolution films and are happy with the quality of the output and the workflow, I'm wondering...1) which applications they're using and
2) what settings they're using  
...before they import it into editors.  
I've tried Handbrake, Free 4K Converter, MPEG Streamclip and others, without good results...and recognise that it's likely that it's what I'm doing, rather than an issue with the converters themselves.  

2017-1-21
Use props
fansfbd82212
Banned

Japan

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-1
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

In Final Cut Pro: import -> create proxy media (and wait...)
then:

2017-3-1
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

I think it's best not to convert the videos at all before importing. I think all the major editing programs have a "proxy mode" or something similar. This allows the program to use a low-res cache version of the file to display while editing, but it will use the original full-res version when you come to output/render it. In Final Cut Pro X, it does this very effectively and automatically in the background. I'm quite impressed with how easily I'm able to work with 2.7k files in FCPX on my 3 year old Macbook Air 11. I haven't tested 4k, but I'd expect the same results once FCPX creates the proxy files. I did try DaVinci Resolve Free first, but I would get rather frequent crashes and lockups even though I was working in Proxy Mode, so I decided to try FCPX.
2017-3-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I agree with Jason, your NLE should be using proxy mode. If  the .mov files don't play smoothly in Quicktime Player on your Mac, then you definitely need to use a proxy mode.
2017-3-1
Use props
GMG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Thanks for all the responses. I started using FCPX and the proxy mode has been much better to work with (vs native files). I have an old Mac, so hopefully will upgrade before too long.
2017-3-1
Use props
Dara Clark
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-25
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

flyingasd Posted at 2017-3-1 00:47
In Final Cut Pro: import -> create proxy media (and wait...)
then:

When you select "Proxy" it deselects "Optimized/Original".
What is the difference between the two?

Also, when you choose "Proxy" Does it make a low res version of the files? Can I access/view them for quick edits on my iphone or anything else?

2017-5-4
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

Proxy is a smaller and optimized version. It's the fastest way for editing a 4k video.

I don't think it's compatible with iPhone.
2017-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules