Good discussion with non-dronies
883 8 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

A middle aged couple walked past me on the lakeshore this morning.  We were the only people about at that time.  I knew they were getting closer so I turned round and wished them a good morning.  They had obviously seen the Mavic sitting on the rock so the husband said "Doin' some snooping are ya?" To which I replied "No, there are great photography tools.  I'm trying to get some pictures of the sunrise."  At that point they stopped and asked some more questions and I explained how these things would enable me to get above the tree line and get an unobstructed shot of the sunrise.  The husband actually said "I never knew.  It's great to see someone doing something good with a drone" then they wished me good day and continued on their walk.

They were walking back past me about 20 mins later so I took the opportunity to show them some reference photos and illustrate the point about getting above the tree line.  They liked seeing the photos and started asking more questions about the drone, this time in a very positive manner.  Now they were actually interested in what it could do!

Very good conversation and I have no doubt they left having a slightly different perspective on 'drones' and how people use them.

IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
2017-1-22
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Hi BuzzCut, as long as people are cool and not freaking out, one of my favorite things to do is show them exactly what I'm seeing right on my ipad. Especially  when children are involved, after all they are the next generation of pilots and it sparks their imaginations. I show them all of the cool telemetry, how many satellites have a fix on the aircraft, my altitude and the distance it is away from me and how I take a picture. When adults can see what we see, they realize that we can't really "snoop, spy or ruin" anyone's privacy. Simply put, quality public relations go a long, long way Ken.       
2017-1-22
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Hi BuzzCut, awesome job! As long  as people are cool and not freaking out, I invite them over to have a look. When children are involved it is even better. I show them what I see, and then point out how many satelites have a fix on the aircraft, my altitude, the distance away from me it is and how I take a picture. The looks on their faces are priceless, and after all they are the next generation pilots, and it really sparks their imaginations. When the adults see what we see, they get a much better understanding of how we can't really "snoop, spy or ruin anyone's privacy. The bottom line is, quality public relations go a long, long way. Ken  
2017-1-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Highasakite Posted at 2017-1-22 12:16
Hi BuzzCut, awesome job! As long  as people are cool and not freaking out, I invite them over to have a look. When children are involved it is even better. I show them what I see, and then point out how many satelites have a fix on the aircraft, my altitude, the distance away from me it is and how I take a picture. The looks on their faces are priceless, and after all they are the next generation pilots, and it really sparks their imaginations. When the adults see what we see, they get a much better understanding of how we can't really "snoop, spy or ruin anyone's privacy. The bottom line is, quality public relations go a long, long way. Ken

That's a great idea!  I'll definitely try that next time.  As I described it to them 'People think these things can see through three houses and photograph the soul of somebody in the forth house.  They really aren't that capable.'  How much better than to show them, as you suggested.
2017-1-22
Use props
Albatross911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1708084 ft
Hong Kong

Yes people do get curious and I'd show them the screen of what can be captured. Once I showed it (was flying a Phantom 2 back then) to a policeman who was asking about it and he was amazed at what it can do. He was not showing any negative attitude towards it from the beginning so it was a pleasant conversation.
2017-1-22
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

awesome pictures and way to change some perspectives on drones!
2017-1-22
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

On my second flight in a public park,  after asking all the parents for permission (they all agreed) and keeping my distance a few kids and their presumed older relative approached me in curiousity about the quad. They actually really liked the fact that I was flying in a public park (not spying on people's property) and I showed the kids the viewfinder, and even let them try out the gesture mode. The relative was also super friendly and open to me flying there. Wish everyone was like that!
2017-1-22
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Well done. Best we can do is showing people around that we're not creepy flying voyeurs...
2017-1-23
Use props
kari5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3448 ft
Finland

More of gestures like these people
Some positivism towards drones is newer a bad thing.
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules