controller location different than phantom
3100 37 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

I just got this P3A and I flew my maiden today. All went well. I am using a Samsung 5S with no cell service. I cached the maps and when I start up the controller it shows a blue dot 1/4 mile away from where I am. When the home point records for the P3A it is spot on. So on my screen, is a phantom, and a blue dot 1/4 mile apart. All my telemetry is showing that the controller is "x"... feet away from the quad. I sat on my porch and fired everthing up, the quad showed it was 6 feet from the controller. which was close. I walked the quad out in to the lawn and it showed it was 150 feet from the controller, which was pretty accurate. But that blue dot of the controller is a 1/4 mile away and never moves. When I fly I have full strong bars on the controller and all seems fine. Is the controller equiped with GPS? just crious. Weird?
2017-1-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The controller does not have any GPS receiver, but it relies upon your phone to know where it is. However, many phones have poor GPS performance, and rely heavily on cell services to help get a positional fix.  As you have no cell service, this is most likely the reason the blue dot is out of position, it has no way of finding its location.
2017-1-22
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I also got the blue dot issue on my Samsung Galaxy.  Moble GPS can't be to blame since Google Maps was spot on.   In my case the the blue dot was a few miles away.  Mobile GPS isn't that inacurrate, maybe 100 feet at most.   Samsung was Wi Fi only but had access to to internet over WiFi at the time.   Only difference was that I was not connected to the RC at the time.
It has been thought the latest Go App has a bug in it and I am inclinded to agree.
2017-1-22
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-22 16:35
I also got the blue dot issue on my Samsung Galaxy.  Moble GPS can't be to blame since Google Maps was spot on.   In my case the the blue dot was a few miles away.  Mobile GPS isn't that inacurrate, maybe 100 feet at most.   Samsung was Wi Fi only but had access to to internet over WiFi at the time.   Only difference was that I was not connected to the RC at the time.
It has been thought the latest Go App has a bug in it and I am inclinded to agree.

I just used my wife's ipad air 2 and installed the dji go app on it. When I connected it to the controller it showed my location right over my house. So I guess it is a Samsung / android thing. I'll report back after I have a chance to fly this week using the ipad. It was nice to cache the maps on the ipad too. very nice compared to the 5S. I told my wife if her ipad is missing, I don't know where it went.  ;)
2017-1-22
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
United States

#Quick I just used my wife's ipad air 2 and installed the dji go app on it. When I connected it to the controller it showed my location right over my house. So I guess it is a Samsung / android thing. I'll report back after I have a chance to fly this week using the ipad. It was nice to cache the maps on the ipad too. very nice compared to the 5S. I told my wife if her ipad is missing, I don't know where it went.  ;) Here#
2017-1-22
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

How about when it is not connected to the RC/AC?  That's when it is most noticable.   I haven't checked yet if the RC location is incorrect when everything is hooked up.  I suspect it is wrong then too but map focuses on where the AC is.
2017-1-25
Use props
fansf0c94dea
New

United States

Same thing here with Nexus 6. GPS location in the phone is accurate, the right icon at the bottom in the app always shows about 17,000 ft distance from the drone to the controller. The drone position and the home point are accurate. This results in a dangerous warning in the app:

2017-1-25
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

This appears to be a bug in 3.1.2 on Android. Be careful, there have been a lot of reported flyaways for users hitting RTH and seeing their phantom fly off 1.2km away....
2017-1-25
Use props
alecm
New

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-1-25 23:22
This appears to be a bug in 3.1.2 on Android. Be careful, there have been a lot of reported flyaways for users hitting RTH and seeing their phantom fly off 1.2km away....

It definitely started with 3.1.2 update on Jan 18. Do you know if DJI GO 4 has this bug too?
2017-1-25
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

fansf0c94dea Posted at 2017-1-25 21:16
Same thing here with Nexus 6. GPS location in the phone is accurate, the right icon at the bottom in the app always shows about 17,000 ft distance from the drone to the controller. The drone position and the home point are accurate. This results in a dangerous warning in the app:[view_image]

Should you select current or original?
2017-1-26
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

I have seen a lot of the exact same issues when using an android device. If you select the wrong choice, Original or current, it flies away and will not respond to any controller commands, even it you switch modes and cancel RTH.
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sasquad Posted at 2017-1-22 16:55
I just used my wife's ipad air 2 and installed the dji go app on it. When I connected it to the controller it showed my location right over my house. So I guess it is a Samsung / android thing. I'll report back after I have a chance to fly this week using the ipad. It was nice to cache the maps on the ipad too. very nice compared to the 5S. I told my wife if her ipad is missing, I don't know where it went.  ;)

My iPad Air2 Cellular is also right on the money. In fact my blue dot even shows what part of the building I'm at, when I fire it up from the living room. Even which side of the building.
Very precise.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

alecm Posted at 2017-1-25 23:54
It definitely started with 3.1.2 update on Jan 18. Do you know if DJI GO 4 has this bug too?

I don't, I've only seen reports on 3.1.2 on android for the P3 series
2017-1-26
Use props
alecm
New

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-1-26 01:26
I don't, I've only seen reports on 3.1.2 on android for the P3 series

I am actually having the issue on 3.1.2 on P4 since the update.
2017-1-26
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

alecm Posted at 2017-1-26 16:29
I am actually having the issue on 3.1.2 on P4 since the update.

Is that on Android or IOS?
2017-1-26
Use props
alecm
New

United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-1-26 01:12
Should you select current or original?

I have not tried, but I think you need to select "original" . Original is the location of the drone's take-off point, that is denoted by "H" droplet marker on the map. That location appears to be correct, as well as H: and V: distances at the bottom. The blue dot ("current", or the location of the controller provided by your phone's GPS) is way off, and selecting "current" (which happens to be the default blue button on the wwarning dialog) will definitely cause flyaway. I would like to know DJI's position on this.
2017-1-26
Use props
alecm
New

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-1-26 16:32
Is that on Android or IOS?

Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, Nexus 6
2017-1-26
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

alecm Posted at 2017-1-26 16:35
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, Nexus 6

Thanks.
Definite pattern building up - Android, 3.1.2 on P3 and P4 models.

Be careful up there, an awful lot of flyaways reported, especially on the P3S where signal loss is more likely to happen
2017-1-26
Use props
fansbd2c0466
lvl.1

Australia

I had a flyaway on 26 Jan 2017 never to be seen again. Exactly the same problems reported here. In beginner mode. RTH issues.

After extensive investigation the blue dot in the DJI Go app is 370 meters offset from my real position.

DJI Go apps gps location is wrong. After I lost my drone I tried the Litchi app. Its blue gps dot is exactly my current position.

When I bought the Phantom 3 I was told I must use the DJI Go app and not Litchi or I will void my warranty.

Seems the DJI Go app is fatally flawed.

2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

fansbd2c0466 Posted at 2017-1-27 13:11
I had a flyaway on 26 Jan 2017 never to be seen again. Exactly the same problems reported here. In beginner mode. RTH issues.  After extensive investigation the blue dot in the DJI Go app is 370 meters offset from my real position.  DJI Go apps gps location is wrong. After I lost my drone I tried the Litchi app. Its blue gps dot is exactly my current position.  When I bought the Phantom 3 I was told I must use the DJI Go app and not Litchi or I will void my warranty.  Seems the DJI Go app is fatally flawed.

Do you have your flightlog from the DJI GO app available?
2017-1-27
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Yes I do. All my logs are on the dgi cloud and on my phone.
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Ding Posted at 2017-1-27 14:50
Yes I do. All my logs are on the dgi cloud and on my phone.

Could you please get the djiflightrecord ...[date..].... .txt of that FLY AWAY flight from internal ssd / sd (somewhere in a dji log folder) ?
Then you can upload it here:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
This will then provide a page. Could you then post the link of the page here?
It would be interesting to study another 3.1.2 fault.
2017-1-27
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Here you go. I have analyzed it to death with several different log viewers.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T2B3QVJPOD4TPL3GAAS7/
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

If you have studied it you might already know were it probably landed:
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

It had a homepoint jump at 2m 57.7s to   -28.80968134   153.27434255. Again in conjunction with a "Maximum Flight Distance Reached. Adjust distance in MC Settings if required."-Alert.
As always. But in the southern hemisphere the jumping homepoint is always southwards and shorter distance from original homepoint than in the northern hemisphere.

2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Did you already do a search in that area ? At "Lismore City Bowls Club" / "Spinks Park" ?
2017-1-27
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

I been all over the suspect home site and nothing. Even had another look early this morning.
If it landed on the Bowls club I would have no trouble seeing it. The whole area is short mowed grass. I even checked all the roofs, but, nothing.
Some one could have picked it up. If so they have not handed it in at the local Hobby Shop or the Police.
2017-1-27
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

So  the only thing you can do is : Demand a new one from DJI ! Its definitely  their fault with the 3.1.2 GO app. Good luck and thank you for uploading !
2017-1-27
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Thank you for your help and encouragement.
2017-1-27
Use props
Chief250
lvl.1

United States

I had same issues on three different devices using the DJI Go app. I didn't notice it until I tried the follow me feature. Controller kept saying to far away from aircraft. It kept putting me 2+ miles away from take off point. I tried everything no success. I switched to Litchi and my location has been dead on every time.
2017-1-28
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks for your comments. The DJI GO app looks dangerously flawed.
I will see how I get on with my DJI service request and let you all know.
2017-1-29
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Fantastic news (for me). Some people were playing bowls and to their amazement watched my Phantom land on the hedge and shut down.
Not a scratch. They picked it up and stored it away and contacted the local Hobby Shop last week. The club only operates on weekends.
It was returned to me yesterday (Saturday). Still no word from DJI re the app error.
2017-2-4
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Justin Lia        

Justin Liao (DJI)

Feb 9, 16:01 HKT
Dear Phil,

Thank you for your reply.
So glad to hear that you have found the aircraft.
Reply From DJI Today 9-2-17

This issue has been reported to the app team, and issue may be caused by home point problem.
And the issue hopefully will be fixed in the next DJI GO version. Before that I suggest not to trigger RTH via RC or GO app. Instead, you can fly the aircraft to home directly.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Justin Liao
2017-2-9
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

My Reply to DJI.

Thanks Justin, please let me know when the app has been fixed.

In the meantime I will use Litchi.

Regards

Phil George
2017-2-9
Use props
Ding
lvl.1

Australia

Reply From DJI Support Today :

Justin Liao (DJI)

Feb 11, 12:23 HKT
Dear Phil,

Thank you for your reply.
The new app has been released, kindly fly with it.
Let me know if you need further assistance.
Have a wonderful weekend~

Best Regards,

Justin Liao
2017-2-10
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

My app on my phone updated and i kept getting the warning message every time I opened my phone screen and The App was not even opened. I was leaving for work, and the drone was in house shut down. I thought that was weird. I have not started my tablet I use for flying yet. I havent flown since last Sat a week ago. I dont use my phone for flying, but the app is on it just in case.
2017-2-11
Use props
fans55ecdaf9
New
Flight distance : 609400 ft
United States

I am seeing this issue after an update to firmware on an Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1 and DJI Go App 3.1.11.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure which of these updates, or a combination of both has caused the error, but the location of the controller/phone is floating when I zoom the map or scroll it side to side and up and down.  Has there been a solution for this yet?  The China map settings are OFF on my DJI Go App already.  I have a Phantom 3 Advanced.  Here are a few pictures to show I'm not crazy lol
Original location:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnLi3Lo5SNORoBTXT0ax8hjojsym

Scrolled to left:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnLi3Lo5SNORoBNNn-Zpw9O5E7bi

Scrolled to right:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnLi3Lo5SNORoBI2H7o6sYa1jUXX

2017-9-15
Use props
fans55ecdaf9
New
Flight distance : 609400 ft
United States

fans55ecdaf9 Posted at 2017-9-15 11:36
I am seeing this issue after an update to firmware on an Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1 and DJI Go App 3.1.11.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure which of these updates, or a combination of both has caused the error, but the location of the controller/phone is floating when I zoom the map or scroll it side to side and up and down.  Has there been a solution for this yet?  The China map settings are OFF on my DJI Go App already.  I have a Phantom 3 Advanced.  Here are a few pictures to show I'm not crazy lol
Original location:
[view_image]

Update on my previous post.  It seems that it IS the DJI Go App that causes the issue.  When I called into DJI and told them what version I had installed, 3.1.11, I was informed that the version of the software for Android was 3.1.8.  I was directed to a website and a QR code to scan.  Before scanning I removed the GO APP from my phone.  Scanned and downloaded the GO APP from the screen which said it had been updated on Aug, 29th 2017.  After installing it and connecting the Phantom 3 Advanced I checked the version to make sure...3.1.11.  I checked the map and had the same issue.  I removed this app, googled the APK file for the DJI 3.1.8 version and installed this.  Checked the version and it was indeed 3.1.8.  I then checked the map and my issue was gone!!  I'm not sure if 3.1.9-.11 are beta or something, (I'm not sure if the issues exists in .9 or .10, I just saw them in the list of APKs,) but this is clearly a DJI GO App issue that has been released in a new version of the app, 3.1.11, that even their technical support does not recognize yet as they told me the current version was 3.1.8 and the link the sent me to downloaded the latest 3.1.11.  BE AWARE!!  With the 3.1.11 version setting the home point mid flight to YOUR CURRENT LOCATION may be off by a good half mile or so.

DJI, PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS, YOU MAY BE REPLACING MORE LOST/CRASHED DRONES THEN YOU'D LIKE TO.
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules