Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 standard has more video lag than toy drone
2336 12 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

I love my phantom. I think its awesome. Ive only flown it twice so far. I cant help but notice the amount of latency i get from the wifi camera feed tho. I chalked it up to my internet being on a point 2 point communications system that works off old cb radio towers as more than likely being the reason for the latency and decided its probaly best to disconnect power to my wifi anteanna before flying.
`I decided to test my Udi 818a wifi latency against the phantom 3 with the home internet antennae still turned on. Suprisingly enough the 818a wifi signal is much stronger than the phantoms and never seems to cut out or be choppy in the slightest way. Granted the picture isnt as crystal clear as the phantoms. I did my best to run the 2 drones thru the same exact flight path and same exact heights and my crash proof trainer drone wins by a long shot.
`Im hearing this could be caused by the recent firmware update. I did exactly as instructed and had seen on all unboxing videos and updated the firmware before going on a test flight. Looking back now, and at the recommendations others are making, i regret that decision but am not certain whether it has anything to do with my issue as i did not fly it with the preinstalled firmware first.
`Do i have any options as far as fixing the camera feed to not have so much latency? I was kinda hoping to eventually download the litchi app and fly with VR goggles but thats looking less and less possible with the P3S.  The toy drone actually seems a little more capable of using the included VR goggles for flight than the phantom does at this time but maybe im missing something or can change a setting to speed it up? At this rate the drone will probaly be crashed in a tree while the video still shows a shot of being 100 feet in the air. Again, I love this drone. It flys like a cadillac compared to the toy drones and is by far my favorite. Im just trying to get an idea of what to expect out of it and what the limitations are on a standard model. Thanks!
2017-1-22
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

The toy drone probably is transmitting a lower resolution signal than the DJI drone and maybe your display hardware can't handle the video. You can lower the resolution in the go app however.
2017-1-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You local WiFi has nothing to do with the issue, the P3S uses its own WiFi connection. The most common reason for video lag is the ability of the viewing device to handle the feed.

2017-1-22
Use props
El'KaBong
lvl.2

United States

Try turning off the video cashing in the app.
2017-1-22
Use props
srfcocoa\
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105223 ft
United States

My video was crystal clear, no lags..everything was beautiful right out of the box.  Since the firmware update I'm lagging like crazy, can't get the distance I was getting, etc.  Nothing else has changed, flying the exact same routes from the exact same points.  

I did clear all the cache after today's flight and I'll see how that works later this week when the weather cooperates.  

I did notice under my video settings it's set on 1080/25s.  Not sure if that's too high of a resolution or if I should gear down to 720, that will be my next move.  

I flew today in wide open areas and could only get about 2000' w/ argtek, started lagging at about 500'...nonsense
2017-1-22
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-22 18:02
You local WiFi has nothing to do with the issue, the P3S uses its own WiFi connection. The most common reason for video lag is the ability of the viewing device to handle the feed.

I was concerned that my local wifi could have been causing interference to the phantoms wifi signal. My home internet has a dish like radio receiver that pulls internet strictly thru the airwaves without the use of a cable.
2017-1-22
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-22 17:55
The toy drone probably is transmitting a lower resolution signal than the DJI drone and maybe your display hardware can't handle the video. You can lower the resolution in the go app however.

The toy drone does have a 720p camera...well supposedly! Is not near as pretty of picture as the phantom has but I think if It had a gimbal on it the pictures and video would look a lot better. I say toy but it was exactly one half the price of the phantom. It might be considered hobby grade to some.
2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Latest Go is incredibly bad for Lag ...

I had near perfect video until I allowed update to 3.1.2 ............... then it became so bad I nearly stopped flying the P3S .... I fly a lot of time via the display as I am out of sight. (I dont fly in USA - so no comments please about FAA etc) .....

I have rolled back to 2.9.1 and just waiting weather improvement so I can test her again. Some people are blaming the latest FW 1.8.10 .... but a SW engineer who looked at the bin file reckons there's literally no change to 1.7.09 ... and would not create this lag situation anyway - its purely a video display problem.

Nigel
2017-1-23
Use props
Rick King
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47192 ft
United States

Use litchi app,
2017-1-27
Use props
Day_Dreamer
lvl.1

United States

I had issues when using different devices to connect to the RF remotes wifi.  I doubt the signal strength matters since your phone is litterally sitting on top of the wifi.. the remote controls drone non wifi.  Basically the remote is the middle man.  Only time I have had issues with lag, has been connecting to the RF remote using my newer cell phone, or obstructions at low altitude..
2017-1-27
Use props
Rhino9872
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5912037 ft
  • >>>
United States

It might be the program you're using to view the video. My video was pretty choppy until I started using media player classic. Now my videos look great. It's definitely worth a try.
2017-1-27
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3

United Kingdom

What mobile device are you using?
2017-1-28
Use props
Kabeeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261824 ft
United States