Is there really no way to downgrade firmware?
12Next >
3782 47 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

I caved into the banner and upgraded my perfectly operating drone and I feel like I just opened up a horrifying jack-in-the-box that spews out every evil surprise from the pit of despair. I don't even know where to start- this is my second drone, the first one was disfunctional which I sent back for a full refund--- this one was absolutely perfect--- no errors, no signal losses, absolutely stable as a tripod, fluid video--- I knew I shouldn't have updated. After updating, my rc signal says poor all the time, I get weak signal warnings at just 100 feet away, the video feed is useless, like a 20 year old laptop trying to play a DVD, and today I had the scariest moment ever. After taking it up to 350 feet and taking a bunch of pictures of the sunset, the video feed all of a sudden disappeared and it said "singal lost"-- it was overhead at a steep angle-- a place I had flown so many times previously with no issues. I flew it back home manually and was able to land it, but the video feed and signal never recovered-- I did have RC control the whole time.  I don't know if that instance was firmware related but anyways- here is the healthydrone link for that particular flight:http://healthydrones.com/main?share=rfRHeR

It says data loss error.... I did have the antenna pointing straight out towards the drone,  I wonder if that was the issue? it never recovered the video feed even when it was 5 feet away from me.
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

I can't believe DJI develop software like this, there are loads and loads of complaints on the net. I have 1.7.9 and there is NO way I am upgrading and I wish I stayed with 1.5.8 because 1.7.9 is still no good but not as bad as 1.8.10.

DJI must solve this continuous issue of very poor software release and at least give us a way to revert back to 1.5.8. What is up with them.

I know people will say to you' Why did you update when everything worked ok" that really is not the point, surely an update means an improvement and I am sure if something happened, some bright spark will then say to you "well what do you expect if you were not up to date"  Lost all respect for DJI and will not recommend them, I have switched off auto app updates and ignore my bird update message every time I switch on.

Rant Over but I must say I am very very disappointed in DJI. !!!
2017-1-22
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

The signal lost and black screen issue has been happening for a while , it snuck in when the Go App changed to Versions 3 onwards.
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please try to re-link aircraft and remote after you upgraded firmware.
Have you tried to fly it in different open places? please be far away from the interference since it's WiFi image transmission.
Also please fly it farther then higher and let us know the performance.
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-22 22:44
The signal lost and black screen issue has been happening for a while , it snuck in when the Go App changed to Versions 3 onwards.

May I know what mobile device you're using?
What is the flight distance when you notice the issue?
2017-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bay Cruiser, we do concern much about your feedback, and hope you have great flight experiences.
To locate the problem, we need confirm the information such as the environment, the way to fly aircraft and specific situation.
2017-1-23
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-23 00:01
Bay Cruiser, we do concern much about your feedback, and hope you have great flight experiences.
To locate the problem, we need confirm the information such as the environment, the way to fly aircraft and specific situation.

DJI Natalia I agree but the final answer you guys always give is send it back for repair, that is not good enough. Surely you can't have this many broken drones out there. It's you software updates that cause these problems. Why can't you get them right or allow us to revert back to software that works like 1.5.8. Please explain why you stopped allowing us to downgrade and also please confirm that you are hearing all the reports of this new software giving problems. It's not where or the way they are flying please read the posts, there are hundreds saying its the upgrade that is giving problem. it worked perfectly before and not now and the only thing that has charged is the software so it's the SOFTWARE.
2017-1-23
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-22 23:42
May I know what mobile device you're using?
What is the flight distance when you notice the issue?

Hi Natalia

The black camera screen issue has been occurring on the Go App since version 3.0.0
I am currently using version 3.1.1  on a Galaxy Tablet and version 3.1.0 on a Galaxy S5.
Flight distance makes no difference it can be sitting on the ground waiting to launch , it can be 200 meters away or it can be hovering 20 meters away.  It only seems to happen in Video camera mode it doesn't happen in picture/still mode. There doesn't appear to be any connection with how long the app has been running . When it does occur you still have control over the camera you just cannot see it on the screen.
If you toggle from Video to picture mode it usually starts working again . If it doesn't  then exiting out of the camera mode all together and  clicking camera from the opening screen always fixes it ( as a last resort)
I fly a Phantom 3 Standard and a Phantom 3 Adv and it happens with both aircraft.
My Primary mobile device for the Phantoms is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (2016)  Mdl # SM-T280 running Android 5.1.1 and my secondary device is a Samsung Galaxy S5   Mdl # SM-G900i  running Android 6.0.1  

Happy to provide any further information you may require.
2017-1-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have never had a black screen ............. apart from when I left the lens cap on !!

Now I have said that - it will happen !!

Nigel
2017-1-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-23 05:05
Hi Natalia

The black camera screen issue has been occurring on the Go App since version 3.0.0

I guess I'm curious, if you are having problems with the current version of the app you're using, why don't you go back to an earlier version you feel comfortable with and give it a try? I am still using 2.9.1 and no issues at all.
2017-1-23
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-1-23 06:46
I guess I'm curious, if you are having problems with the current version of the app you're using, why don't you go back to an earlier version you feel comfortable with and give it a try? I am still using 2.9.1 and no issues at all.

Can you please tell me how to do this on an iPhone, I can't seem to find it anywhere for iOS everything keeps reverting back to 3.1.2
2017-1-23
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-23 07:14
Can you please tell me how to do this on an iPhone, I can't seem to find it anywhere for iOS everything keeps reverting back to 3.1.2

In Android you can set the playsotre(app store) to no auto updates. Maybe there is one for IOS in app store? That could be why your go app keeps updating. Good luck.
2017-1-23
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-22 23:37
Have you tried to fly it in different open places? please be far away from the interference since it's WiFi image transmission.

HI Natalia, I did relink the two after the upgrade-- about flying it in open places, the thing is I had flown it in that exact location about 6 times without an issue. The loss of video feed may have been connected to my antenna orientation but once it lost the video feed it never came back, even when I flew it back to my location and let it sit there in front of me for 20 or 30 seconds to see if it would return the video feed. When it kept asking to switch into RTH mode as it was hovering in front of me I just landed it.  
I really like the drone-- which is why I bought the second one after the first one was defective, and it's a real joy when everything works as it should. I just don't understand why we cannot downgrade to a previous version if the upgrade wasn't satisfactory... I seriously had no issues whatsoever with it before the upgrade-- perfect flights, no errors, stable as can be.
2017-1-23
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

stuka75 Posted at 2017-1-23 07:23
In Android you can set the playsotre(app store) to no auto updates. Maybe there is one for IOS in app store? That could be why your go app keeps updating. Good luck.

No Auto update is off, I mean that every time I search for an older version of dji go it takes me to a 3.1.2 version.
2017-1-23
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-23 07:51
No Auto update is off, I mean that every time I search for an older version of dji go it takes me to a 3.1.2 version.

you can find them with a simple search on the internet:  https://www.apk4fun.com/history/96377/
2017-1-23
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

pjhudson Posted at 2017-1-23 08:06
you can find them with a simple search on the internet:  https://www.apk4fun.com/history/96377/

I have searched everywhere and didn't find that site, however it says its just for android and not IOS. I need an IOS version.
2017-1-23
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

i'll follow this thread because i'm having stability issues with mine (and also video loss, live and on sd) after the update.

i'll try another locations when the sun back shine again
2017-1-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-23 08:12
I have searched everywhere and didn't find that site, however it says its just for android and not IOS. I need an IOS version.

try via PHANTOMHELP archive ....

Scroll down through ... a long way !! you will find links to Android and iOS Old Dji Go versions.

Nigel
2017-1-23
Use props
1dash1
lvl.2

United States

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-23 07:51

Not sure if this is the information you're looking for, but hopefully it works:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=501491
2017-1-23
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

Hi Natalia

I too have had the black screen happen a few times on different P3S craft and it will effect litchi as well. I had to ditch once because of it (no FPV, wind and magnetic issues all at once craft was replaced for other reasons) I think 1.5.9 was most stable so far on my Galaxy s5 around big cities etc.. been using 1.7.9 for some time now..with so so results.

Hardly ever fly with DJIgo anymore just do warm up check.
I always give a little extra hover before flying missions just in case of black screen issue..so its top of my issue list!!

Cheers
Darrin
2017-1-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-23 07:14

I am sorry, I thought you were on android. I haven't done this but here is a procedure for IOS.

1. Delete the app from your iPhone.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.
3. Do not update your apps in iTunes. Back up and sync your iPhone using iTunes.
4. When the sync is complete, click your iPhone in the left iTunes menu under DEVICES. Click the Apps tab at the top of the iTunes window. Find the app you wish to downgrade under Sync Apps.
5. Make sure the box is checked next to the app you wish to downgrade. Click the Apply button.
6. The old version of the application will be copied from your computer to the iPhone.

If you have already updated the application on your computer, or synced your iPhone before deleting the new version of the app you must follow this step first. Open the trash can or recycling bin and look for the older app version (this file will end with the suffix .ipa).

Drag the old app file into the iTunes window. iTunes will ask if you want to replace the app with an older version. Confirm and begin from step one above. If the old version is not in your trash can you cannot access the older version of the app.

I don't know if this will help you, but it's the best I can offer. I am not an Apple fan.
Best of luck.

This I am assuming is if you have the older version backed up with I-Tunes.
2017-1-23
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-1-23 11:03
I am sorry, I thought you were on android. I haven't done this but here is a procedure for IOS.

1. Delete the app from your iPhone.

Thats a great explanation and thanks, I will give that a go later.
2017-1-23
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

Natalie, I downgraded the DJI go app to 3.1.1 (previous version) and took it to a huge wide open field. Except for 3 initial failures to start the motors due to an error that flashed too fast for me to read - I think it was compass something--- once it did start it flew perfectly. I took it out to about 350 meters with no problems and a strong signal and flew it around the field back and forth for 20 minutes with a good video feed  and no errors. So- I know for certain that 3.1.1 works well with firmware 1.8.1 , at least for now. The only issue I noticed now it the gimbal seems to be showing a slightly tilted horizon.. I noticed that after the firmware upgrade. I have calibrated the gimbal and imu but am scared to do a compass calibration because of my experience with my first phantom 3 last month.  So anyways, I'm sticking to the 3.1.1 go app for now.
2017-1-23
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

Firmware issues seem to be ruining a lot of quads lately. I refuse to do mine until someone that knows what they're doing writes them properly. Yesterday my brother came by with his advance and it's latest update killed it. Before the update it flew just fine and everything worked as it should. Yesterday after he upgraded it an esc error appeared. I recalibrated the imu the controller and gimbal. Checked the transmitters firmware which was fine. Followed the error message which said to power down the quad and try again. It worked after I power cycled it over 15 times then the error begins again. I got lucky with 1.7.90 and that's as far as it will go. Good luck to those who did after yesterday with the advance I really feel your pain.
2017-1-23
Use props
fans15d28fbb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122438 ft
Canada

I agree with Bay Cruiser it is the software the app fix it please so we can all fly properly and safely
2017-1-23
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

fans15d28fbb Posted at 2017-1-23 18:03
I agree with Bay Cruiser it is the software the app fix it please so we can all fly properly and safely

Will be interesting if we hear from DJI again on this thread !!!
2017-1-23
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-1-23 06:20
I have never had a black screen ............. apart from when I left the lens cap on !!

Now I have said that - it will happen !!

At least you will know what to do if it happens     

It is a totally random thing to , may not occur for 3 or 4 flights then it happens twice in 5 minutes
2017-1-23
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-1-23 06:46

I was using Go App 2.9.1  until the previous FW update to the Standard ver 1.7.9 .  I found when the P3S flew out of range in noisy WiFi areas it wouldn't reconnect until it had almost returned all the way home .

Go App ver 3 onwards reconnects as soon as it gets a signal back with the Standard so I have been using it over 2.9.1 .    If I was only flying the P3A  I would go back to 2.9.1 in a heart beat.
2017-1-24
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

pjhudson Posted at 2017-1-23 15:27
Natalie, I downgraded the DJI go app to 3.1.1 (previous version) and took it to a huge wide open field. Except for 3 initial failures to start the motors due to an error that flashed too fast for me to read - I think it was compass something--- once it did start it flew perfectly. I took it out to about 350 meters with no problems and a strong signal and flew it around the field back and forth for 20 minutes with a good video feed  and no errors. So- I know for certain that 3.1.1 works well with firmware 1.8.1 , at least for now. The only issue I noticed now it the gimbal seems to be showing a slightly tilted horizon.. I noticed that after the firmware upgrade. I have calibrated the gimbal and imu but am scared to do a compass calibration because of my experience with my first phantom 3 last month.  So anyways, I'm sticking to the 3.1.1 go app for now.

You can check the error messages in the flight log either through the Go App or if you want more details through the text file that is saved on your mobile device.

I know a compass error will prevent the P3S from arming the motors (if its occurring at the time you try the CSC command )

I would be wary of flying too far away (stay in VLOS ) if it is regularly complaining of compass errors as it could switch to ATTI mode at any time if it gets conflicting compass data and then you will be flying 100 % hands on
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Natalia

Thanks for your details, that seems interesting.
May I know if you have another brand mobile device to have a try?
If you can record a small video showing the situation, it will be highly appreciated.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

pjhudson Posted at 2017-1-23 15:27

Thanks for your update, glad to hear the good performance now.
Just to clarify, what mobile device you're using? how about the android system?
2017-1-24
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

pjhudson... EVERYTHING you described was exactly the same as the problems i had. As a newbie i thought you HAD to upgrade the firmware to be able to use the unit. Instead i had 10 days of drone hell. I couldn't get even 20 meters away without something happening....so disappointed. Thankfully the shop have swapped it for a new unit today and with 1.7.90 as stock firmware, the problems have all gone.
2017-1-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-24 00:00
I was using Go App 2.9.1  until the previous FW update to the Standard ver 1.7.9 .  I found when the P3S flew out of range in noisy WiFi areas it wouldn't reconnect until it had almost returned all the way home .

Go App ver 3 onwards reconnects as soon as it gets a signal back with the Standard so I have been using it over 2.9.1 .    If I was only flying the P3A  I would go back to 2.9.1 in a heart beat.

Ok, good to know. Glad you have found what works for you!
2017-1-24
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-24 01:58
Thanks for your update, glad to hear the good performance now.
Just to clarify, what mobile device you're using? how about the android system?

HI Natalia-- I am using a Galaxy S6 and android 6.0.1 - Here is another update, I took it up yesterday evening at the same place that I had the data loss error, behind my house, and everything worked as it should. The video feed was ok too. Hopefully it will stay that way.
2017-1-24
Use props
townsendfrank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231171 ft

United States

Hi Natalia

phantom-Paul 7.I aslo have the smasung gal A7 tab.AS you, the display turns gray.It usually reconnects
after I toggle from camera to video and the display becomes live.When the diplay turns gray I get the
rth display.I have 1.7.90 and 3.1.1 ver.This is so annoying
2017-1-24
Use props
Taydav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

Natalia...are you suggesting that we relink our RC after every firmware update , just after this one, or only if we have experienced issues?
2017-1-24
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Australia

townsendfrank Posted at 2017-1-24 12:17
phantom-Paul 7.I aslo have the smasung gal A7 tab.AS you, the display turns gray.It usually reconnects
after I toggle from camera to video and the display becomes live.When the diplay turns gray I get the

That is exactly what happens.  
Is yours at totally random times?  It doesn't appear to be related to load , temp or run time sometimes it happens within 2 mins of taking off sometimes you can go 2 or 3 flights before it happens.

As soon as I can get out to fly this weekend I will try to get some screen shots .
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Taydav Posted at 2017-1-24 13:08
Natalia...are you suggesting that we relink our RC after every firmware update , just after this one, or only if we have experienced issues?

If you're faced with RC signal lost issue, please try to re-link them, which may do good for the connection.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

townsendfrank Posted at 2017-1-24 12:17

Please try another mobile device which is in DJI recommended list, if the problem persists, please record a short video, I'll transfer that to our engineers for a further evaluation.
2017-1-25
Use props
townsendfrank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231171 ft

United States

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-24 23:20
That is exactly what happens.  
Is yours at totally random times?  It doesn't appear to be related to load , temp or run time sometimes it happens within 2 mins of taking off sometimes you can go 2 or 3 flights before it happens.

yes it is random.Sometimes within 30 feet and sometimes after 10 mins or more in flight.As soon as I
can get out I am going to try and stop all running apps.I was told to even stop the dji go app.My little
LG wall mart phone dose not have the problem.Hope it is not a thing with my samsug A7 tab.
2017-1-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules