Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Farm Waterfall
1595 18 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bsett
lvl.3
United States

After weeks of either cold, rainy or windy weather here in Kentucky we were blessed with one of those magical winter days where it was sunny with temperatures near 70 degrees  F.

I took advantage of this break in the weather to go out and fly my Phantom 4 pro and filmed this video of a waterfall on the farm:

2017-1-23
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Pretty area. Very relaxing. You did not ask for critique but the dubbed water sounds don't really match the video  but it was a nice thought. You should strive for smooth fluid motions.
2017-1-23
Use props
Thermographer
First Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Very nice, what part of Kentucky? I am in Louisville.
2017-1-23
Use props
BentonJoyce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

what an awesome place to film nice video!
2017-1-23
Use props
Helimage
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

Apart from the sound being a bit off, that's some nice footage. Looks like a great place to do some slow tripod mode shots.
2017-1-23
Use props
bsett
lvl.3
United States

Thermographer Posted at 2017-1-23 08:02
Very nice, what part of Kentucky? I am in Louisville.

I live just outside of Russellville. About an hours drive from both Bowling Green and Clarksville.
2017-1-23
Use props
bsett
lvl.3
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-23 07:01
Pretty area. Very relaxing. You did not ask for critique but the dubbed water sounds don't really match the video  but it was a nice thought. You should strive for smooth fluid motions.

Yeah the sound sucks. Is there anyway to record sounds with your drone? Guess it would be tricky with the noise they make.

As to getting the fluid motions I expect that will improve over time. This was only my 3rd. flight with my P4P and the first in a really tight confined space.

Spent most of the flight time just jogging around the overhanging branches and praying I didn't push one of the controls the wrong :-).
2017-1-23
Use props
Thermographer
First Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

bsett Posted at 2017-1-23 10:40
I live just outside of Russellville. About an hours drive from both Bowling Green and Clarksville.

Is Ed's famous BBQ still there south of town on 79.  Been awhile since I have been through there.
2017-1-23
Use props
bsett
lvl.3
United States

Helimage Posted at 2017-1-23 10:26
Apart from the sound being a bit off, that's some nice footage. Looks like a great place to do some slow tripod mode shots.

One thing that was in the back of my mind and maybe someone with more experience can help out. I was concerned as to what would happen if while going out of site around one of the creek bends, I lost control of the drone.

Would the RTH kick in and the drone try to get up to the 30m height that its currently set at? If so that would be bad news with the tree canopy and over hanging branches?

Amongst all the trees the GPS signal was still real strong and I was able to pretty much keep a line of sight on the drone. Just need to figure out the best settings for working underneath a tree canopy.
2017-1-23
Use props
Helimage
lvl.4
Finland

The drone would indeed rise up to the set altitude. Maybe it would be better to use the "Hover" option instead of RTH in case of signal loss to minimize the risks.
2017-1-23
Use props
bsett
lvl.3
United States

Helimage Posted at 2017-1-23 12:16
The drone would indeed rise up to the set altitude. Maybe it would be better to use the "Hover" option instead of RTH in case of signal loss to minimize the risks.

If your are down below the trees and you have RTH set to hover and it looses connect and goes into hover what do you do then? Just try and reposition yourself and hope to regain control of the craft before the batteries loose power?
2017-1-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Interesting landmark. It's always fun seeing how the water, carves out its own path...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-23
Use props
Helimage
lvl.4
Finland

bsett Posted at 2017-1-23 12:43
If your are down below the trees and you have RTH set to hover and it looses connect and goes into hover what do you do then? Just try and reposition yourself and hope to regain control of the craft before the batteries loose power?

Basically, yes. Don't be afraid of that happening, though. On normal conditions, the signal should be pretty stable.
2017-1-23
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
United States

bsett Posted at 2017-1-23 10:48
Yeah the sound sucks. Is there anyway to record sounds with your drone? Guess it would be tricky with the noise they make.

As to getting the fluid motions I expect that will improve over time. This was only my 3rd. flight with my P4P and the first in a really tight confined space.

I have not done it, but you could try recording some natural sounds of the waterfall with your phone or some other audio recorder. Since there is no need to sync that particular sound other than matching the area in the video, it should be pretty simple to dub. Just need to get a loud enough recording so you do not have to crank up the gain and introduce noise (so you might have to get pretty close to the waterfall etc). Of course you would have to record without the drone running.
2017-1-23
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
United States

bsett Posted at 2017-1-23 12:43

Exactly. Of course in that particular set of circumstances, I would expect you would be very near the aircraft so as to see all the branches and stuff. Definitely want it to hover and not raise up into the trees.
2017-1-23
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

would love to have that area in my backyard
2017-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Have I been remiss, expressing my liking, of your video?

I enjoyed that a lot. Had to view it again... Thanks for sharing it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It really is lovely scenery, thanks for sharing.
2017-3-7
Use props
SRO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2405174 ft
Switzerland

Nice location. For me the music is okay. Thank you for sharing. Hope you can enjoy this place again.
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules