Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NO FLY ZONE UPDATES?
1234Next >
24301 132 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans46960a28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1880 ft
United States

Does anyone know when this change will make it into the DJI GO 4 App? I bought the Mavic Pro and cant get it off the ground. its very frustrating to say the least. Even in beginner mode it wont allow you to go more than 100 feet from your controller. You cant get high enough or far enough away from your controller to be any kind of a threat or problem in any way. Please tell me how i can get my mavic airborne. I am outside the 15 mile radius, but my program keeps telling me i am in a no fly zone.
2017-1-23
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

Would need a little more detail in what your talking  about?   and  Location..
2017-1-23
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Where is your location?

If you are near Blue, Red, it won't take off or in some instances it won't power on.
I was visiting a friend in VA and it won't even lift off in his garage. Later we found out that there were some regular office buildings in the area that were used by the CIA???

You might have the same issues, maybe  not CIA but might be FBI field offices or other federal agencies you don't know about.

Maybe this is an excuse to use with the wife so you can get out of the house and explore the country   

Protect animal population. Spayed or Neutered? and License your Pet!
2017-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

In beginner mode you have a height and distance restriction.
Here is the GEO map, only the red zones you cannot fly in. The yellow zones you are free to fly in after self authorizing.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map
2017-1-23
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-23 12:04
In beginner mode you have a height and distance restriction.
Here is the GEO map, only the red zones you cannot fly in. The yellow zones you are free to fly in after self authorizing.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

according to the DJI Map, I live in a yellow zone, but when I start up the mavic it says I am in a NO FLY ZONE. why is that? does the map need to be updated?
2017-1-23
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

HWKIDD Posted at 2017-1-23 11:50
Would need a little more detail in what your talking  about?   and  Location..

I live in Lorton Virginia, my street is in a yellow zone, not in a red zone according to the map. but when I start up the mavic it says it cannot take off, it is in a NO FLY ZONE. how can I fix this?
2017-1-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

doesnt help, but in the DC area, you are not alone. Appears DJI needs to correct/refine their map/NFZ  for the DC area

https://forum.dji.com/thread-80806-1-1.html

Also, seems to make minimal (if any) sense to COMPLETELY prevent lift off outside of the actual DC vicinity. I understand grounding the flights within DC. Got it.
But for the several miles outside of DC and into the suburbs, what harm/risk at all would it be to allow a flight ceiling of say, 50 feet max. There are ZERO planes/helicopters flying BELOW tree level.  At least Mavic owners could fly in their yards/approved parks and have some enjoyment with their crafts while presenting ZERO risk to the US Government. As it stands today, every other RC craft can/has been flying in these (outside of DC) areas.

thoughts DJI KEN?

2017-1-23
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

exactly. If it is in beginner mode, then you can only go 100 feet from the controller and still I am outside the no fly zone according to the map, yet my mavic wont even take off. it says I am in a no fly zone and so now I have a 1300 dollar paper weight? this sucks. I wish they could get the no fly zone issue fixed.
2017-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-23 12:31
exactly. If it is in beginner mode, then you can only go 100 feet from the controller and still I am outside the no fly zone according to the map, yet my mavic wont even take off. it says I am in a no fly zone and so now I have a 1300 dollar paper weight? this sucks. I wish they could get the no fly zone issue fixed.

Can you post a screenshot of your location in the GEO map link from my earlier post.
You said you wish they could get the NFZ issue fixed, so I'm guessing that where you are flying is not a NFZ.
If your in a Red NFZ and one should not be there then you can email FlySafe@dji.com and they can get it straightened out.
2017-1-23
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Ken, i think this map should be baked into the DJI Go app so people can be a little more responsible and aware of where they are flying. Maybe you can suggest it to the developers?
2017-1-23
Use props
Toomer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19475 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-23 12:23
doesnt help, but in the DC area, you are not alone. Appears DJI needs to correct/refine their map/NFZ  for the DC area

> But for the several miles outside of DC and into the suburbs...

This isn't really DJI's call to make.  The FAA regulations are what they are.  If *implemented correctly* in DJI's firmware, I don't see this as a bad thing...   just look at that idiot that flew his drone into the White House lawn.  How many more of those do you think we'd need before we'd get an all-out ban or ungodly FAA licensing requirements?
2017-1-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

Toomer Posted at 2017-1-23 13:08
> But for the several miles outside of DC and into the suburbs...

This isn't really DJI's call to make.  The FAA regulations are what they are.  If *implemented correctly* in DJI's firmware, I don't see this as a bad thing...   just look at that idiot that flew his drone into the White House lawn.  How many more of those do you think we'd need before we'd get an all-out ban or ungodly FAA licensing requirements?

You are incorrect. It's important for all of us flyers to know facts, and our rights:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/no_drone_zone/

"Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
Aircraft must be registered and marked
Fly below 400 ft.
Fly within visual line-of-sight
Fly in clear weather conditions
Never fly near other aircraft"

So for DJI to allow flights of say, 50 feet and BELOW for persons 15 miles away into Virginia's suburbs, is well within FAA guidelines.
2017-1-23
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-23 12:19
I live in Lorton Virginia, my street is in a yellow zone, not in a red zone according to the map. but when I start up the mavic it says it cannot take off, it is in a NO FLY ZONE. how can I fix this?

There is a remedy to this, as I also fly around DC.  I never had this problem with my P4 as long as I was outside the magic circle but since I started flying the Mavic I have got the cannot take off message/no fly zone twice.   Yet, each time after I moved my controls to the start position an unlock message came on the screen and I answered yes and after that I powered up and enjoyed my flight.  If I had not pulled my controls to the start position I would have never known about the unlock and would not have been able to fly.  I suppose lots of people are just repacking their Mavic like you did an called it a day.  
2017-1-23
Use props
Toomer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19475 ft
United States

> So for DJI to allow flights of say, 50 feet and BELOW for persons 15 miles away into Virginia's suburbs, is well within FAA guidelines.

No.  You couldn’t be more wrong.  You don’t get to just make up things like that because *you* think that makes sense.

Why did you leave off the most important/relevant section of that page you linked to?

“Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.”

Flying = any height off the ground, period.
2017-1-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

with all due respect, your reading comprehension is off. In my post, I clearly state "15 miles AWAY".  As in OUTSIDE of the 15 mile radius inner ring you refer to.
Per several Mavic flyers, DJI currently has it's software configured to prevent liftoff even OUTSIDE of the 15 mile radius.

Im not debating INSIDE the 15 mile radius.

But to be 20 miles OUTSIDE of the 15 mile radius inner ring and not have the ability to even fly 50 feet up..is absurd. Serves no purpose. And is NOT an FAA law/regulation/requirement
2017-1-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

This is a fully sanctioned RC flying field that's LESS than 30 miles not just from DC, but literally less than 30 miles from the White House doorstep. I've flown here many times

http://www.flyfreestate.com/

So it's TOTALLY legal to fly RC craft recreationally within 30 miles of DC.  

2017-1-23
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-23 12:18
according to the DJI Map, I live in a yellow zone, but when I start up the mavic it says I am in a NO FLY ZONE. why is that? does the map need to be updated?

if you live in the yellow zone , then you should be able to self authorize and then be able to fly,   
2017-1-23
Use props
Webassign
lvl.1
United States

I am in yellow zone as well, you need to verify your account at DJI, a verified account allow you to self authorize for 24hrs or plan authorize in advance for 3 days
2017-1-23
Use props
FlyHighX
lvl.1
United States

I do see the merits of using geo fencing to protect certain sensitive locations.  However, the way it is implemented now is not only unfair to the fair use of UAVs but it also does not line up with the current FAA regulations.  Having the drone be unable to fly, at all, in some circumstances is definitely not the solution that should be implemented. If I am in a red zone and wish to fly my drone in my own home or warehouse or anywhere indoor I should be able to.  In fact the FAA does not regulate the use of UAVs indoors

From the FAA's  FAQs site:

If I'm just flying my UAS inside a building, or in my own yard, do I have to register it?
If you're flying indoors, you do not need to register your unmanned aircraft as the FAA does not regulate indoor UAS use. However, when flying in your own yard or over your own property, you will need to register your UAS if the UAS weighs more than 0.55 pounds.

So to just fly indoors, the UAV doesn't even need to be registered let alone regulated by 107!!!!! Admittedly, I don't know how it could be done on the technical side to allow the UAV to fly indoors but not outdoors.  However, it is my belief that if this can not be achieved, than rather than disallowing all flight ability, all flight ability should BE allowed rather than prevent a user from not being able to legally use his drone.

The other issue I have has to do is with waivers.  If I have a waiver to FAR 107 AND permission from the FAA through an exemption (the online process of notifying the tower) to fly in class C airspace for example (a red zone),  I shouldn't be prevented from doing so.  If I follow all of the FAA's guidelines and get approval to fly 1 mile from a class C airport at no higher than 50ft to do real estate work, the DJI software should not prevent me from using the UAV to earn money this way.  

My hope is that we're in the early days of regulation and this will get sorted out.  I doubt it will work itself out on it's own though.  I suggest everyone contact their local FSDO and speak to a DE.  Contact DJI. Voice your concerns.  Let's see if, as a community we can bring about change.
2017-1-23
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-23 12:19

According to Airmap, Lorton VA is in a no fly zone.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 8.02.23 PM.png
2017-1-23
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Haha, I like that: TEMPORARY Flight Restriction. End: PERMANENT.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

wow, I guess there are at least 4 different versions of maps that I have seen now. thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. now to find out where I can go that is worth flying around that I don't have to drive an hour plus to get to. Again, thanks.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-24 00:05
Haha, I like that: TEMPORARY Flight Restriction. End: PERMANENT.

yeah, that is really messed up. permanent.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

HWKIDD Posted at 2017-1-23 17:55
if you live in the yellow zone , then you should be able to self authorize and then be able to fly,

another gentleman pulled up a different map with AIRMAP? and it shows all of the LORTON area as red. That isn't the map that I pulled up by either DJI or through the B4UFLY app from the FAA. both of those maps show my house in a yellow zone. AIRMAP shows red, not sure who makes up the zones and which one is the right one to go by? there should be 1 standard and all should follow it and not have to worry about which map has the right information.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-23 16:33
This is a fully sanctioned RC flying field that's LESS than 30 miles not just from DC, but literally less than 30 miles from the White House doorstep. I've flown here many times

Thank you for the information. I will look it up and see how hard it is to go there. I would love to get my mavic airborne. I tried to fly it indoors last night and well the mixture of the kids, dog, and panic made the landing a little tricky to say the least, but most of all "short lived"
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-1-23 15:42
There is a remedy to this, as I also fly around DC.  I never had this problem with my P4 as long as I was outside the magic circle but since I started flying the Mavic I have got the cannot take off message/no fly zone twice.   Yet, each time after I moved my controls to the start position an unlock message came on the screen and I answered yes and after that I powered up and enjoyed my flight.  If I had not pulled my controls to the start position I would have never known about the unlock and would not have been able to fly.  I suppose lots of people are just repacking their Mavic like you did an called it a day.

I have not packed it up yet lol. I did the unlock and apparently by the map it says that there are 3 layers where I am at? apparently I have 2 layers of authorization that overlay the location I was trying to fly as well as a no fly zone. The first two times I put in the unlock code and after doing so the "cannot take off you are in a no fly zone" popped up. I am not giving up that is for sure. I paid too much money to just give up.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Here is the screen shot that you asked for.

map screenshot

map screenshot
2017-1-24
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

there is also a designated APPROVED RC Flying field IN Lorton, VA.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/new ... or-i95-landfill.htm
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-24 06:06
Here is the screen shot that you asked for.

OK thanks. You can see that Red line is very close to you. That is the reason why you cannot take off.
If you go a little further away you should be able to take off but altitude gradually  gets less restrictive the further you get from the edge of the NFZ.You can email FlySafe@DJI.com to see about getting permission to fly at your house and possibly block out a chunk of the NFZ.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-24 07:00
OK thanks. You can see that Red line is very close to you. That is the reason why you cannot take off.
If you go a little further away you should be able to take off but altitude gradually  gets less restrictive the further you get from the edge of the NFZ.You can email FlySafe@DJI.com to see about getting permission to fly at your house and possibly block out a chunk of the NFZ.

thanks, I will email them and see what I can do. I appreciate the help.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-24 06:59
there is also a designated APPROVED RC Flying field IN Lorton, VA.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news/2015/lorton-airpark-approved-for-i95-landfill.htm

thank you, I have not heard of this one.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-24 07:03

I sent the request. do you know how long it usually takes for them to respond to emails? I sent in requests to DJI when I had first made my original order for the mavic in December and believe it or not, I still have not gotten responses from them. so I was wondering if this would be about the same lol.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-24 07:03

No problem, have a great rest of the week.
2017-1-24
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-24 07:00

How would a remote PIC get a modification to fly in a no-fly zone if s/he has an FAA waiver or exemption?  There needs to be an easy way to override these restrictions.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-1-24 08:38
How would a remote PIC get a modification to fly in a no-fly zone if s/he has an FAA waiver or exemption?  There needs to be an easy way to override these restrictions.

Since they are NFZ's, proper steps must be taken.
There's paperwork involved and they need the aircraft S/N and GPS coordinates and dates and times, so it's not a quick easy process.
2017-1-24
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-24 08:48
Since they are NFZ's, proper steps must be taken.
There's paperwork involved and they need the aircraft S/N and GPS coordinates and dates and times, so it's not a quick easy process.

Understood.  But once those are all satisfied, how would the UAV then be modified?  While I appreciate DJI trying to limit their liability, it's the ultimate responsibility of the remote PIC to know where and when to fly, not the UAV manufacturer.  (These comments are more general and not specific to the Mavic.  Apologies if these should be elsewhere.)
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-1-24 09:09
Understood.  But once those are all satisfied, how would the UAV then be modified?  While I appreciate DJI trying to limit their liability, it's the ultimate responsibility of the remote PIC to know where and when to fly, not the UAV manufacturer.  (These comments are more general and not specific to the Mavic.  Apologies if these should be elsewhere.)

The aircraft is modified by DJI pushing data into your flight controller so it is able to fly in that particular radius, altitude, and time and date that you requested your flight to be.
It is up to the manufacture to not have the ability to fly in NFZ's for safety reasons.
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Go to Occoquan Regional Park, just outside the red zone. You have to self-authorize, and you may be subject to temporary flight restrictions when VIP are flying nearby, but it's a great place to fly. I'd leave it in Beginner mode until you have some experience under your belt.
2017-1-24
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-24 10:58
Go to Occoquan Regional Park, just outside the red zone. You have to self-authorize, and you may be subject to temporary flight restrictions when VIP are flying nearby, but it's a great place to fly. I'd leave it in Beginner mode until you have some experience under your belt.

thanks, I will go look that up. wanting to get this kids out of the house and that might be a good place to start, thanks.
2017-1-24
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-24 10:16
The aircraft is modified by DJI pushing data into your flight controller so it is able to fly in that particular radius, altitude, and time and date that you requested your flight to be.
It is up to the manufacture to not have the ability to fly in NFZ's for safety reasons.

Perfect.  Good to know.  Thanks for the info, Ken.
2017-1-24
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules