Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NO FLY ZONE UPDATES?
1234Next >
24300 132 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

CAAirborne Posted at 2017-1-24 11:12
Perfect.  Good to know.  Thanks for the info, Ken.

Your welcome.
2017-1-24
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

that map is AWESOME!
does anyone know how accurate it is?  for example, it doesn't really show many no fly zones in Tanzania, and yet there are bans in the all the national parks.?  would they show up as no fly zones, or is this only for FAA type of restrictions?
2017-1-24
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

In my opinion, I think DJI should rethink and leverage self authorization MORE vs mandatory grounding restrictions.  (Im not talking about inside of DC, or right AT an airport/airbase for example. Those should ALWAYS be restricted/grounded).  

Place the full burden/responsibility on the confirmed/registered flyer/owner in most cases.  If I decide to self authorize and fly into an area that Ive been warned about on my screen and that I know is against the regulations? Then 100% of the penalty should come back to hit me...not hit every Mavic owner out there.
2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1880 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-25 06:24
In my opinion, I think DJI should rethink and leverage self authorization MORE vs mandatory grounding restrictions.  (Im not talking about inside of DC, or right AT an airport/airbase for example. Those should ALWAYS be restricted/grounded).  

Place the full burden/responsibility on the confirmed/registered flyer/owner in most cases.  If I decide to self authorize and fly into an area that Ive been warned about on my screen and that I know is against the regulations? Then 100% of the penalty should come back to hit me...not hit every Mavic owner out there.

that is 100% what should happen. I think that DJI has taken a ton of responsibility in their own hands in order to facilitate the brand new pilots and the possibilities of things that could happen if the drone goes out of control and accidentally flies into the path of a plane or some other similar situation that may cause serious harm. But you are definitely correct in the fact that this should not be a mass punishment type situation. This falls in line with what most governmental regulations do, they punish or restrict the masses due to the nature or fault of the few. Again going back to my first posting, if you are in beginner mode, you are only able to go 100 FT from your controller, and NO FLY ZONE restrictions should not even be a consideration. 100 FT is way below what any aircraft is going to travel unless you are right on a runway, and you shouldn't be flying there anyway.
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-25 07:24
that is 100% what should happen. I think that DJI has taken a ton of responsibility in their own hands in order to facilitate the brand new pilots and the possibilities of things that could happen if the drone goes out of control and accidentally flies into the path of a plane or some other similar situation that may cause serious harm. But you are definitely correct in the fact that this should not be a mass punishment type situation. This falls in line with what most governmental regulations do, they punish or restrict the masses due to the nature or fault of the few. Again going back to my first posting, if you are in beginner mode, you are only able to go 100 FT from your controller, and NO FLY ZONE restrictions should not even be a consideration. 100 FT is way below what any aircraft is going to travel unless you are right on a runway, and you shouldn't be flying there anyway.

Believe me, I live closer to DC and feel your pain, but consider 100ft is high enough to carry a grenade out of guard sight across the Whitehouse fence.

Of course, any determined individual could force the drone into ATTI mode, build their own drone, etc., but this does remove an easy way to inflict harm from less-capable evil-doers, and thus presents a smaller attack surface on DJI from those who would outlaw drones altogether.
2017-1-25
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-25 07:24

Do you local laws say "drone flights are prohibited unless the drone is in beginner mode" or is drone flying prohibited without any exceptions? If the latter is the case, you should complain about your laws and not about DJI. If there are exceptions, then ask DJI to handle those as defined by the law.
2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-25 07:42
Believe me, I live closer to DC and feel your pain, but consider 100ft is high enough to carry a grenade out of guard sight across the Whitehouse fence.

Of course, any determined individual could force the drone into ATTI mode, build their own drone, etc., but this does remove an easy way to inflict harm from less-capable evil-doers, and thus presents a smaller attack surface on DJI from those who would outlaw drones altogether.

that is true, but if you were to look at it in that way, I also own an eachine racer 250, it doesn't have restrictions on it at all, nor do any other racing quads. I am able to go outside and race it all over my neighborhood. I have a 900 foot range on it or 3 football fields equivalent. so to restrict a quad because of a camera? or for whatever reason they are using. the distance it is capable of flying maybe? I don't know. but like you said if someone is determined to do harm then they are fully capable.
2017-1-25
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

again, the reference to the white house is a red herring as it relates to this discussion. I dont think anyone is in favor of allowing even liftoff IN the DC limits/inside the 15 mile restricted zone.  We get that. ZERO liftoff at all. OK. Agreed. Got it.

But Outside of that 15 mile zone, into mile 16 and beyond? 50 feet high is not a threat to anyone. And if 50 feet is even somewhat of a risk? Allow self authorization.  Let a person in Falls Church Virginia in a park or their back yard..fly 1/2 the height of a tree if they desire and if they self authorize. If that person causes harm to a Air Force helicopter at 50 feet high..hold that single person accountable. Not every mavic flyer

2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-25 07:45
Do you local laws say "drone flights are prohibited unless the drone is in beginner mode" or is drone flying prohibited without any exceptions? If the latter is the case, you should complain about your laws and not about DJI. If there are exceptions, then ask DJI to handle those as defined by the law.

trust me I am not complaining about DJI in any way shape or form. Just asking DJI to take a closer look at the firmware that was sent out because they map they associate with states that I personally am not in a no fly zone and I want to be able to fly at my current location. Every time I try to start up my mavic it says that I am in a NO FLY ZONE, yet the DJI Map says I am not. so somehow something needs to be corrected, whether it is the firmware, or the depiction of the map showing the true and correct status of the location I am in. I am not complaining at all, just wanting help. I need assistance. that is all.
2017-1-25
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-25 07:52
trust me I am not complaining about DJI in any way shape or form. Just asking DJI to take a closer look at the firmware that was sent out because they map they associate with states that I personally am not in a no fly zone and I want to be able to fly at my current location. Every time I try to start up my mavic it says that I am in a NO FLY ZONE, yet the DJI Map says I am not. so somehow something needs to be corrected, whether it is the firmware, or the depiction of the map showing the true and correct status of the location I am in. I am not complaining at all, just wanting help. I need assistance. that is all.

I agree that the Mavic should understand the no-fly zones properly and if a firmware update is required that is how DJI should fix this. Nonetheless, the discussion here sounds a bit like people are looking for a way to be able to fly in a zone in which flying is prohibited "because a bit of flying is OK".
2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-25 07:58
I agree that the Mavic should understand the no-fly zones properly and if a firmware update is required that is how DJI should fix this. Nonetheless, the discussion here sounds a bit like people are looking for a way to be able to fly in a zone in which flying is prohibited "because a bit of flying is OK".

well from my perspective and that is how I intended it from the beginning, is that I live just outside the no fly zone, and I want to be able to use my drone. yet when I try to take it the message comes up that I cant take off because I am in a no fly zone and I just want to know how to fix it. there is nothing more to it than this. I live outside of the no fly zone and am being prohibited from flying. just looking for a way to fix it and be able to fly. I don't want to fly inside a no fly zone. I just want to fly at my house, which is OUTSIDE of the no fly zone area.
2017-1-25
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-25 07:58

No. you (like some others) are missing the point.  Im not hearing anyone in this thread request ability to violate FAA restrictions and fly INSIDE of the 15 mile zone/in the INNER ring under any circumstances.

But OUTSIDE of the 15 mile zone, the FAA ALLOWS recreational RC flights in the OUTER ring, to altitudes up to 400 feet. That's ALLOWED and DOCUMENTED by the US Federal Government. So if it's CLEARLY ALLOWED by the feds, then why doesn't DJI allow it?  And if DJI wanted to excercise an abundance of caution and go above and beyond then require self authorization, and limit the altitude to something even BELOW what's allowed.  

DC No Drone Zone
The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.
The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.
Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.

Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
Aircraft must be registered and marked
Fly below 400 ft.
Fly within visual line-of-sight
Fly in clear weather conditions
Never fly near other aircraft
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Ha, I'm in Falls Church within the NFZ zone so I'm SOL. ;)

My main point here is DJI has determined this course is in the best interests of their long-term business in regards to regulations over which they have no control. In an ideal world each person would be responsible for their own actions, in this world, lawmakers would and have outlawed drones over fears of danger and loss of privacy.

@x1War Monger1x -- your racing drone absolutely is subject to FAA rules if it's over 250 grams in weight, it's just that that drone's manufacturer has no way to enforce NFZ restrictions should they consider doing so was in their best long-term business interests.

Is DJI really limiting flight or flight height at NFZ borders, perhaps to account for gps and map accuracy errors? If so, how wide are these border zones? There are a few places I intend to fly that are close to such borders; guess I'll find out when I get there if I'll be thus affected.

@fans90d4f438, outside the 15-mile NFZ in question you can self-authorize and fly up to the 400ft ceiling, I've done so several times.

2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-25 08:22

My main point here is DJI has determined this course is in the best interests of their long-term business in regards to regulations over which they have no control. In an ideal world each person would be responsible for their own actions, in this world, lawmakers would and have outlawed drones over fears of danger and loss of privacy.

I totally agree that any drone above the weight restriction is governed by the FAA, as it should be. It is left up to the operator to follow those rules and is NOT in any way a liability on eachine or the manufacturer for my starting up the drone. I went to a park further down route 1 in which it had stated that I was able to self authorize and I did so, entered my phone number, twice, and after all was said and done, it still ended up saying that I was unable to take off due to a NO FLY ZONE so I am not sure if maybe how I entered the phone number was wrong? or whatever happened, but it said I could self authorize and still wouldn't take off.
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-25 08:25
I totally agree that any drone above the weight restriction is governed by the FAA, as it should be. It is left up to the operator to follow those rules and is NOT in any way a liability on eachine or the manufacturer for my starting up the drone. I went to a park further down route 1 in which it had stated that I was able to self authorize and I did so, entered my phone number, twice, and after all was said and done, it still ended up saying that I was unable to take off due to a NO FLY ZONE so I am not sure if maybe how I entered the phone number was wrong? or whatever happened, but it said I could self authorize and still wouldn't take off.

Hmm, you need a data connection in order to self-authorize, maybe you were in an out of service area? Apparently you can pre-authorize a spot for 24 hours if you know ahead of time there's no service in your desired flight area. Hope this helps.
2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-25 08:34
Hmm, you need a data connection in order to self-authorize, maybe you were in an out of service area? Apparently you can pre-authorize a spot for 24 hours if you know ahead of time there's no service in your desired flight area. Hope this helps.

I appreciate all of the help. I wont stop trying. in the end I hope to prevail and be able to fly at the house, which by the map is NOT in a no fly zone lol. but after this thread I have found a couple of places nearby that sound promising. I am hoping to get to try them out this weekend. thanks.
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Here's the preauthorization form: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

Good luck!
2017-1-25
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-25 08:25

was the park at least 15 miles away from Reagan Airport? The restriction rings begin at Reagan and radiate outward in all directions.  If you were at least 15 (lets say 16 to be safe) miles away from Reagan, you should have been able to fly after self authorization.
2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-25 08:59
was the park at least 15 miles away from Reagan Airport? The restriction rings begin at Reagan and radiate outward in all directions.  If you were at least 15 (lets say 16 to be safe) miles away from Reagan, you should have been able to fly after self authorization.

yes it was outside of that 15 miles. matter of fact according to the map from DJI it is only an enhanced warning zone, not even yellow but only green. it was still requesting unlocks.
2017-1-25
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-25 08:22

I dont even get the self authorize option. It just says can't take off. i try and start motors and the message comes up. I will try again later to get the exact message. Once im able to self authorize I will still need to contact a tower since im withing 5 miles of airport. This is class B airspace. Its called washington tri area class b airspace. There is a calss to take about SFRA ( Special flight restriction area ) that might help us understand a little more. The floor in my quad is 4,500 agl so below that should be class e airspace
2017-1-25
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

Heres a TAC chart of our area that live near DC.  http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/a ... ington_TAC_94_P.pdf
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-1-25 09:03
I dont even get the self authorize option. It just says can't take off. i try and start motors and the message comes up. I will try again later to get the exact message. Once im able to self authorize I will still need to contact a tower since im withing 5 miles of airport. This is class B airspace. Its called washington tri area class b airspace. There is a calss to take about SFRA ( Special flight restriction area ) that might help us understand a little more. The floor in my quad is 4,500 agl so below that should be class e airspace

You won't get the opportunity to self-authorize if you're within the 15 miles NFZ. Details on how DJI manages all this is at: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2017-1-25
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-25 09:14
You won't get the opportunity to self-authorize if you're within the 15 miles NFZ. Details on how DJI manages all this is at: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Im outside 15 miles. Closer to 45 miles. Im at the top of this chart. ( Link Below ) Montgomery county ( Gai ) The quad im in has a floor of 3500ft so should be class E airspace. But this whole area for dc to 60 miles out is SFRA soooo kinda complicates things. But we are still able to fly if wer 15 miles out of center of d.c. Soooooo they shouldn't be locked in this area.
http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/a ... ington_TAC_94_P.pdf
2017-1-25
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

here says 15 miles from Reagan Airport...not 15 miles from center of DC itself.  So technically, you in Montgomery County are even further away...

https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/no_drone_zone/
2017-1-25
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-25 10:46
here says 15 miles from Reagan Airport...not 15 miles from center of DC itself.  So technically, you in Montgomery County are even further away...

https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/no_drone_zone/

Exactly..... So the fact that our mavics are in can not fly mode is an issue I think DJI needs to change for us fellows pilots. I believe a couple people have emailed the link for false NFZ but no success.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-1-25 12:55
Exactly..... So the fact that our mavics are in can not fly mode is an issue I think DJI needs to change for us fellows pilots. I believe a couple people have emailed the link for false NFZ but no success.

There's not a "No Fly Mode" in the aircraft.
It's the No Fly Zone from the map that dictates if the aircraft is able to fly or not.
If the FlySafe GEO map shows your position and there is no NFZ around then the aircraft can fly.
If it's in or close to a NFZ then flight is not possible or height and distance is restricted depending on how close you are to the NFZ.

It's not only airports, but prisons, correctional facilities, and other sensitive areas that can be NFZ's.
But if you have permission to fly within the NFZ then email FLySafe@DJI.com for access.

If there is absolutely nothing there and it's showing a NFZ in the app or on the map then also email FlySafe@DJI.com and report the error.
2017-1-25
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-25 13:24
There's not a "No Fly Mode" in the aircraft.
It's the No Fly Zone from the map that dictates if the aircraft is able to fly or not.
If the FlySafe GEO map shows your position and there is no NFZ around then the aircraft can fly.

Understood thanks Ken. I think I just need to do the unlock with serial number setup you guys have for it since its 1.5 miles from an airport.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-1-25 13:37
Understood thanks Ken. I think I just need to do the unlock with serial number setup you guys have for it since its 1.5 miles from an airport.

That would be the way to do it.
Unfortunately it's not a permanent unlock.
2017-1-25
Use props
Masdog
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-25 14:08
That would be the way to do it.
Unfortunately it's not a permanent unlock.

Hey I guess it keeps us responsible!!!!
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-1-25 14:45
Hey I guess it keeps us responsible!!!!

Yes, for sure.
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Hey DJI-Ken, when you write "if it's in or close to a NFZ then flight is not possible or height and distance is restricted depending on how close you are to the NFZ", can we have the algorithm that determines this? I'm trying to get a more precise sense of what to expect with a couple sites I intend to visit that are near NFZ borders -- thanks!
2017-1-25
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Good Morning guys:
EX Machina; Masdog, DJI Ken, the latest from the unlock series is as follows lol. I tried the unlocking through my cell phone, it told me was successful but yet after it said unlocked it still said I couldn't take off. The same happened after I went online and tried to do the plan ahead and it had stated was successful. when I got home it wouldn't fly. so SUPPORT told me that they are capable of doing an unlock of up to 30 KM for a 3 month period and to put in all of the information on the "individual unlock" page. so now I am waiting to see where this goes. Hopefully they can unlock me to fly. Need to get my paperweight off the ground lol.
2017-1-26
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

THAT I like (If it works): giving you a 3 month unlock period that you, the customer requested, and that you, the customer, take 100% full accountability/responsibility for.  THAT"S being a responsible company without being excessively heavy handed.  

I get that DJI comes from the land where internet is restricted, twitter is blocked, and freedom is a foreign word. But they need to consider that in America...well, the culture is a bit different from what they are used to.  And the rules on flying in America need to reflect more American ways
2017-1-26
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-26 06:03
THAT I like (If it works): giving you a 3 month unlock period that you, the customer requested, and that you, the customer, take 100% full accountability/responsibility for.  THAT"S being a responsible company without being excessively heavy handed.  

I get that DJI comes from the land where internet is restricted, twitter is blocked, and freedom is a foreign word. But they need to consider that in America...well, the culture is a bit different from what they are used to.  And the rules on flying in America need to reflect more American ways

the one thing that I forgot to add to my post is that you will need the lat long for your location. you can go to the website here and get it by putting in your address.

http://www.latlong.net/

good luck pilots lol.
2017-1-26
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.1
United States

Webassign Posted at 2017-1-23 18:01
I am in yellow zone as well, you need to verify your account at DJI, a verified account allow you to self authorize for 24hrs or plan authorize in advance for 3 days

I live just outside a yellow area, but get the warning message. The ability to acknowledge and override is grayed out. A couple couple of questions:
1. Would this be grayed out in Beginner Mode?
2. Do I have to verify my DJI account before it lets me override?
Not quite sure exactly where to verify account. Will research that. Guess I missed that
2017-1-26
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

bluezdawg Posted at 2017-1-26 06:48
I live just outside a yellow area, but get the warning message. The ability to acknowledge and override is grayed out. A couple couple of questions:
1. Would this be grayed out in Beginner Mode?
2. Do I have to verify my DJI account before it lets me override?

on my controller it does the same. right next to the two statements that you have to agree to, you cant see the check boxes but they are there. so click on the right hand side of them until you see the blue check mark come up. you just have to play around with it. And yes even in beginner mode it will gray out. Just entering your telephone number is good, it will send you a text number with a code and you enter that code on your DJI GO app. good luck
2017-1-26
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Good Monday Morning everyone. well I took the advice of one of the pilots here. I went down to Occoquan regional park and flew the drone. Its maiden voyage lol. I didn't get as much flying time as I wanted but it was enough to get a feel for the controls and take 5 minutes of video. It was awesome and only made the thirst for wanting to get out and fly that much stronger lol. As long as I took the quad towards the river it was awesome, no messages or anything popped up. but if I came back inland and started to go over the tops of the trees it made me self unlock, which was ok, I unlocked and continued flying. well I hope that everyone had a great weekend. I am still waiting on DJI to do the 3 month unlock on my current location and will keep you all updated as to how that goes. Or if it even works.
2017-1-30
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.3

United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-1-26 05:19
Good Morning guys:
EX Machina; Masdog, DJI Ken, the latest from the unlock series is as follows lol. I tried the unlocking through my cell phone, it told me was successful but yet after it said unlocked it still said I couldn't take off. The same happened after I went online and tried to do the plan ahead and it had stated was successful. when I got home it wouldn't fly. so SUPPORT told me that they are capable of doing an unlock of up to 30 KM for a 3 month period and to put in all of the information on the "individual unlock" page. so now I am waiting to see where this goes. Hopefully they can unlock me to fly. Need to get my paperweight off the ground lol.

It sounds like the GEO fencing that comes through on the software is more up to date than the Maps on DJI or BFUFLY websites. (Note that BFUFLY specifically states that the information on the site may not be current).

NOTAM 6/7215 NOTAM HERE  dated October 12,2016 looks like it is still active and expanded the "Red" zone to include Lorton. NOTE: I'm not swearing to the accuracy of this statement, that's just my interpretation based on taking a quick peek. NOTAMs and their associated maps can be a bitch to decipher, especially in crowded areas like DC.

If you get you drone unlocked I'd suggest proceeding with caution so as to avoid having a conversation with any authorities in the area.  
2017-1-30
Use props
JasonG
lvl.1

United States

Question on no-fly zone red zones?

I'm in a aviation program in college and our classes are held at the airport. We want to take some pics of our 727. We have permission to fly at the airport from the airport manager. But of course it's in a red zone how to I get this unlocked ?
2017-1-30
Use props
fans4c5591db
United States

I just got mine the other day and I am in a caution zone near an airport. When I started the controller and drone it asked me if I wanted to fly anyways ans if I would be responsible and I said yes and I was able to fly. Called the tower to let them know I would be flying first.
2017-1-30
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules