Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NO FLY ZONE UPDATES?
1234Next >
24305 132 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1880 ft
United States

Well they are saying I'm not in an No Fly Zone and don't need unlocked. So they aren't going to help me. But yet they can't see my damn screen when it says Can't take off in a no fly zone yet the map is yellow and not red
2017-2-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-2-1 11:58
Well they are saying I'm not in an No Fly Zone and don't need unlocked. So they aren't going to help me. But yet they can't see my damn screen when it says Can't take off in a no fly zone yet the map is yellow and not red

Huh? Maybe send them a screencapture of your screen?

Are you looking at this map?
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

BTW, I was flying near the Lauren Hill Equestrian Center over the weekend and could fly just south of the farm buildings, but couldn't take off from the parking lot -- had to walk down the path towards the Workhouse a bit.

According to the map linked above, that area's all green, see the annotated map below -- arrow points to farm buildings; I can fly immediatly to the south but was prevented from launching immediately to the north.

Closer to the westernmost silo behind the fenced-in horse run I could take off but the Mavic immediately wanted to land, guess it was close enough to the border to lift off but not far enough away to fly more than 5ft or so vertically. 50-yards south of that silo was pretty much where I was able to take off and fly as expected.
dcnfz.jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

This is as close as I could get to the farm buildings that the bottom arrow is pointing to in the map shown in the previous message.

lorton_small.jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-1 18:13
This is as close as I could get to the farm buildings that the bottom arrow is pointing to in the map shown in the previous message.

that is crazy, we are supposed to be in a self authorization area or the green areas are just warnings and you should be able to fly with no problems. yet for some reason the mavic is NOT following what the maps say that they put out. so what is going on? WHO NEEDS TO FIX THIS? IS IT A FIRMWARE PROBLEM? DJI KEN? thoughts? I have been working with Sophia and another lady from the support office and basically have gotten nowhere. They need to get the aircraft firmware INLINE with the MAPS so we can use the product.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-1 13:27
Huh? Maybe send them a screencapture of your screen?

Are you looking at this map?

yes, this is exactly the map that I used when I took a screen shot and sent it to DJI to get them to update the version of my firmware. they are telling me that they wont unlock it individually unless they get a copy of my drivers license and have a letter from an airport and a pilots license and some other stuff. They also told me that they want a screen shot of my controller screen so they can personally see it say cant take off and also the firmware version. Like they don't believe me? really? why would I say it if I am out flying? I just want to fly in an authorized area I don't want to go out doing anything stupid.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

From all the reports I've seen, my deduction is that DJI went a bit too heavyhanded in the "restriction" category when many of those "restricted" areas should have been self authorized warning areas.

Before those with limited reading comprehension chime in: I am NOT referring to the 15 mile restricted circle around the DC area.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-2 09:04
From all the reports I've seen, my deduction is that DJI went a bit too heavyhanded in the "restriction" category when many of those "restricted" areas should have been self authorized warning areas.

Before those with limited reading comprehension chime in: I am NOT referring to the 15 mile restricted circle around the DC area.

well I have personally went through at least 3 different maps from various locations in regards to restrictions and the FAA and all of that and I am "outside" of the 15 mile restriction. I am in a yellow zone or self authorization area and am able to do the unlocks, but after it says "unlock successful" I try to start up the rotors and it tells me I "cannot take off in a no fly zone". And now DJI Support is stating they want to see it. so tonight when I get home, I am going to have to take screen shots of the "phenomenon" and send to them and see how they are going to handle it. I hope it gets resolved and I can fly my Mavic soon.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

I hope it works out for you as well.  I have other brands (parrot being one) of drones and I consider Parrot to be just as "responsible" as DJI. But yet, they have nowhere NEAR the amount of mandatory flight restrictions that DJI has implemented
2017-2-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

I suspect it's a bug -- their own maps show the areas as fine to fly in. There are many overlapping restriction zones in this area to account for.
2017-2-2
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-24 10:58
Go to Occoquan Regional Park, just outside the red zone. You have to self-authorize, and you may be subject to temporary flight restrictions when VIP are flying nearby, but it's a great place to fly. I'd leave it in Beginner mode until you have some experience under your belt.

I grew tall in Occoquan, great place to play and fly.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Go to Occoquan Regional Park, just outside the red zone. You have to self-authorize, and you may be subject to temporary flight restrictions when VIP are flying nearby, but it's a great place to fly. I'd leave it in Beginner mode until you have some experience under your belt.

Ex Machina: I just received word from the Northern Virginia Radio Control Club that Fairfax County restricts all flights to the radio controlled airfields. which you have to be a member of their club in order to fly. They only have 2 fields right now, one called poplar ford and the other in Lorton near Occoquan which they are still working on. However, you have to be an AMA member, $75 annual fee, NVRC member $70 annual fee, $50 one time joining fee, and they are thinking of doing an additional Lorton Fee once the field opens. Me personally, I can't think of why I would PAY $200 a year to go fly my Mavic in this area only a couple of times a month and maybe only a handful of times a year? this seems ridiculous to me. I can send you their contact information if you want to talk to someone yourself. just PM me.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-2 09:31
I grew tall in Occoquan, great place to play and fly.
Regards,
-d.

I am not sure where this information is posted and how valid it is, but as I just put out to Ex Machina, Fairfax county restricts all flight to model RC airfields and all other flights are illegal and grounded? I am trying to pursue this myself. I need to know if it is true. but it was told to me by the NVRC, Northern Virginia Radio Control Club.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-2-2 10:10
I am not sure where this information is posted and how valid it is, but as I just put out to Ex Machina, Fairfax county restricts all flight to model RC airfields and all other flights are illegal and grounded? I am trying to pursue this myself. I need to know if it is true. but it was told to me by the NVRC, Northern Virginia Radio Control Club.

Ok so I just went to the Fairfax county government website and what they told me is not true, I say again NOT true. I wish these people could get information straight without telling lies and trying to gain propriety on something they cannot own for themselves. Below is a quote from the Fairfax government page:

A. The operation of unmanned aircraft (UA/drones), to include model aircraft, is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Information concerning the operation of UAs can be found on the FAQ section of the FAA website. Additionally, the District of Columbia and cities and towns within a 15-mile radius of Ronald-Reagan Washington National Airport are a No Drone Zone. This includes a portion of Fairfax County. Further information can be found at DC IS A NO DRONE ZONE.
2017-2-2
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-2-2 10:10

Only half of the park is in Fairfax, the other half is in Prince William County, or was when I was a kid and lived there.Regards,
-d.
2017-2-2
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-2 10:37
Only half of the park is in Fairfax, the other half is in Prince William County, or was when I was a kid and lived there.Regards,
-d.

Looks like I may be mistaken, however if you go to the southern side of the river you are in P.W.C. and should be able to fly there.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-2 10:43
Looks like I may be mistaken, however if you go to the southern side of the river you are in P.W.C. and should be able to fly there.
Regards,
-d.

A. The operation of unmanned aircraft (UA/drones), to include model aircraft, is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Information concerning the operation of UAs can be found on the FAQ section of the FAA website. Additionally, the District of Columbia and cities and towns within a 15-mile radius of Ronald-Reagan Washington National Airport are a No Drone Zone. This includes a portion of Fairfax County. Further information can be found at DC IS A NO DRONE ZONE.

The statement made by the NVRC is completely false and he didn't know what he was talking about.
2017-2-2
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

I am in Burke right up the street from you guys.  My Mavic just shipped today so I will see.  I am in the EXACT same position with being in the yellow.  On the FAA charts I am in walking distance to the NFZ.  According to the previous versions of the DJI charts I am in the NFZ.  They have updated and I am now half way in the yellow.  I wonder if some of it stems from the previous location of the DJI NFZ that was extended beyond the  FAA NFZ?  Here are the screen shots from October 3, 2016.
I have a feeling I am going to end up not being able to fly at my house either.

FAA NFZ from AirMap.  I am the red dot, all clear.

The older DJI map from October.  I am the unfortunate yellow dot.

Now I am right in the middle of the yellow on the new DJI maps.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

not only will you not be able to fly AT your house? With the restictions, you wont even be able to fly INSIDE your house. THATS insane.
2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

wow, that sucks, I am outside of a red zone, its about 4 blocks away or a little further? in a double yellow zone and green zone situation but the aircraft itself still thinks for some reason it is in the red. cant get that figured out. I think that stinks though and hope that your situation gets better. Good Luck.
2017-2-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

You can fly inside your house inside the NFZ if the GPS signal is weak enough to force ATTI mode, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of interior space and experience. W/o a GPS signal the Mavic can't tell that it's in a NFZ.

x1War Monger1x, the info you are looking at regarding NVRC confused me, too. I think it stems from back when the NFZ extended 30 miles out instead of 15 and an exception was made for the NVRC at their Lorton landing strip. Back then if you wanted to fly within the NFZ you did have to be a member, because only members were allowed to use the runway and field. I don't begrudge NVRC their membership fees, because they're mainly an RC aircraft club that needs to maintain their runways and such, but I agree it doesn't make sense for folks like us.

2017-2-2
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-2 16:25
You can fly inside your house inside the NFZ if the GPS signal is weak enough to force ATTI mode, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of interior space and experience. W/o a GPS signal the Mavic can't tell that it's in a NFZ.

x1War Monger1x, the info you are looking at regarding NVRC confused me, too. I think it stems from back when the NFZ extended 30 miles out instead of 15 and an exception was made for the NVRC at their Lorton landing strip. Back then if you wanted to fly within the NFZ you did have to be a member, because only members were allowed to use the runway and field. I don't begrudge NVRC their membership fees, because they're mainly an RC aircraft club that needs to maintain their runways and such, but I agree it doesn't make sense for folks like us.

That may be, but I think that they being a "semi-professional" business type, should be up to date on their rules and regulations. To sit back on their laurels and pass out bogus information and make rules based on old requirements is Ludacris. I just think that it is very expensive and the rules they are following are out dated and they are actually "arguing" and all of that based on the old information. anyway. I just wanted to try and help others out with the same questions and situations that going to an RC club is not always the right answer. As for indoor flying? in my house? I tried it the other day and the aircraft started drifting and it scared me so I landed it lol. I am not that good of a pilot and don't want to risk breaking up my machine.
2017-2-3
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

well today is Friday, I hope that everyone has a great weekend and is able to go out and fly. I think they said something about it being really cold and maybe some drizzle or snow possible. lets cross our fingers and hope not. anyway, have a great weekend everyone.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans0e229dda
lvl.1
United States

x1War Monger1x Posted at 2017-2-2 05:16
that is crazy, we are supposed to be in a self authorization area or the green areas are just warnings and you should be able to fly with no problems. yet for some reason the mavic is NOT following what the maps say that they put out. so what is going on? WHO NEEDS TO FIX THIS? IS IT A FIRMWARE PROBLEM? DJI KEN? thoughts? I have been working with Sophia and another lady from the support office and basically have gotten nowhere. They need to get the aircraft firmware INLINE with the MAPS so we can use the product.

I'm regretting upgrading to a Mavic Pro and the new DJI Go App. I can't even fly in green zones!! Everywhere is a no-fly zone!! I wish I could send the dam thing back for a refund!!
2017-2-6
Use props
fans0e229dda
lvl.1
United States

DJI used to sell good products!! There current products can't fly anywhere!! (no-fly zones) Can't even fly in the green zones!!
2017-2-6
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans0e229dda Posted at 2017-2-6 12:16
I'm regretting upgrading to a Mavic Pro and the new DJI Go App. I can't even fly in green zones!! Everywhere is a no-fly zone!! I wish I could send the dam thing back for a refund!!

where are you located again? I have had to drive down to the Occoquan regional park in order to fly. But I have done that twice in the last couple of weeks. Its only about 10 minutes from my house. For some reason it still does the same thing at my house, but at least I am getting my mavic up and flying. You should drive down there and fly.
2017-2-7
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

fans0e229dda Posted at 2017-2-6 12:18
DJI used to sell good products!! There current products can't fly anywhere!! (no-fly zones) Can't even fly in the green zones!!

wow, so sorry you are having such bad luck.
2017-2-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

fans0e229dda Posted at 2017-2-6 12:18

Sorry to hear that, if you can't fly in green zones I'd say you have a defective product and should be contacting support.
2017-2-7
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina, x1War Monger1x and anyone else in the Burke or Lorton area where are you flying now?  I need a good but LEGAL place to fly this weekend for my first flights.
I just got my Mavic yesterday.  I have read the manual twice VERY slowly and drinking it in.  Tonight I will play with the simulator and maybe go out and see if I can fly at home (doubtful).  Even if I can my house has tons of trees around it and is no place to learn.
This weekend I want to get out and give it a go.  Let me know if anyone wants to meet up anywhere and fly/give me some pointers.  Any recommendations on where to go would be great.  Occoquan park is about 10-15 minutes from me.
2017-2-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

superjet96, I've flown several times in Occoquan Regional Park, which requires self-authorizing, and in the nearby Veterans Park in Woodbridge, which does not. Both have lots of wide-open spaces great for getting a hang on things. Have fun!
2017-2-7
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2017-2-7 07:34
Ex Machina, x1War Monger1x and anyone else in the Burke or Lorton area where are you flying now?  I need a good but LEGAL place to fly this weekend for my first flights.
I just got my Mavic yesterday.  I have read the manual twice VERY slowly and drinking it in.  Tonight I will play with the simulator and maybe go out and see if I can fly at home (doubtful).  Even if I can my house has tons of trees around it and is no place to learn.
This weekend I want to get out and give it a go.  Let me know if anyone wants to meet up anywhere and fly/give me some pointers.  Any recommendations on where to go would be great.  Occoquan park is about 10-15 minutes from me.

yeah as Ex Machina says, I have gone twice to Occoquan regional park now and nobody has said a word. Yet anyway. I did get the NVRC people trying to tell me that Fairfax County Park authority is stating that we are not allowed to fly in any parks, but the last time I was at Occoquan, a park employee sat right there in his vehicle and didn't say a word. matter of fact he gave me a thumbs up so I took that as he liked the mavic. anyway I would go there.
2017-2-7
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

Thanks guys I will have to check it out this weekend.
2017-2-7
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tell you man; investing in a drone when you live in the DC area is very much a luxury!  Mine usually sits in its case until I travel for work or take a personal trip out of town.  I too know why the NFZ is here but I wish I could power up in my own yard sometimes.  
2017-2-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-2-7 12:30
I tell you man; investing in a drone when you live in the DC area is very much a luxury!  Mine usually sits in its case until I travel for work or take a personal trip out of town.  I too know why the NFZ is here but I wish I could power up in my own yard sometimes.

Yup, putting a lot of miles on the car. ;)
2017-2-7
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

No kidding.  I have a place to fly but it is almost two hours away.  I make it there once a month in the winter and every weekend once it warms up but it would be really nice to just go out and fly.  
I have other multi rotors that I can fly but none like this one.  I just need to fire it up to make sure it is working for now.
2017-2-7
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

I finally took it outside tonight without the props to see if I could get it to fly at my house OUTSIDE of the NFZ and it was a no go.  I got the NFZ warning and that was the end of it.  I got to spin up the motors without the props and play with the camera inside, yay.
2017-2-7
Use props
Mavman
New

United States

FlyHighX Posted at 2017-1-23 19:22
I do see the merits of using geo fencing to protect certain sensitive locations.  However, the way it is implemented now is not only unfair to the fair use of UAVs but it also does not line up with the current FAA regulations.  Having the drone be unable to fly, at all, in some circumstances is definitely not the solution that should be implemented. If I am in a red zone and wish to fly my drone in my own home or warehouse or anywhere indoor I should be able to.  In fact the FAA does not regulate the use of UAVs indoors

From the FAA's  FAQs site:

I am with you completely. I purposely bought this mavic to hire out for home inspections in the DC area. Studying for my FAA license now but apparently won't be able to use this machine to do my work without way too much paperwork and grief. Seems like DJI should open the mavs to fly under the FAA restrictions around here for yellow and red usage. Limit them that way if necessary but don't prevent flyers from getting off the ground at their own property or indoors. DJI should either write "sucker" on the box delivered to this area, BLATANTLY warn customers they can't fly around here or do the right thing and open up the mav at least within the FAA regs. My choice is the last one but I got stuck with the first one.  
2017-2-7
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
United States

That's what I've been saying all along. Let persons assume responsibility for their own flying from the 15-30 mile sections of the DC ring. Place full burden on the flyer. Heck, limit the altitude to 100 feet if need be in that area.  But don't ENTIRELY restrict

Can't wait until someone successfully hacks the code to remove limits. Only a matter of time
2017-2-8
Use props
That Bex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 768 ft
United States

This issue has come up in some other threads and with some trial & error, this seems to be the issue: apparently some Mavics were shipped with firmware that extends the Washington DC Flight Restriction Zone (the 15 NM radius around DCA) to the full radius of the GREEN Enhanced Warning  Zone as shown on the DJI "flysafe" map. If you have an affected Mavic, no amount of app unlocking or Advance Unlocking on the website will disable the NFZ. Go even a few feet outside of the GREEN Enhanced Warning Zone (like I did around Reston) and you'll be good to fly.

It's worth noting that even if you appeal to DJI to manually unlock a Green/Yellow zone, it currently only works for users of Apple products with iOS systems - no Android. The rest of us are stuck waiting for DJI to correct the geofence in a future firmware update. Note that this error only appears to apply to the 15mi DC FRZ and other No Fly Zones with yellow Authorization Zones appear to unlock normally if you are signed-in properly through the app. Note also that this only applies to Mavics and I have personally witnessed Phantom-class units starting up and flying normally in areas where my Mavic will not spin up and I get the NFZ notice. PLEASE DJI - get a firmware patch out quickly to resolve this and/or make it so Android users can at least get a temporary override for this geofence mapping error. We all understand that living in the DC area comes with extra restrictions, but your mapping error is unduly restricting the use of your newest and most popular product.
2017-2-9
Use props
That Bex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 768 ft
United States

Tried to edit a post & got deleted - trying again.

This issue has come up in a couple other threads and after some trial & error to test a theory, here is what appears to be the issue: some or all Mavics were shipped with firmware that has erroneously-extended the 15 nautical mile Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ) around Washington DC to the full extent of the GREEN "Enhanced Warning Zone" as shown on the DJI "flysafe" maps. This means no amount of controller unlocking or Advance Unlocking on the DJI site will unlock this area and if you are trying to fly a Mavic, you will get the No Fly Zone notification if you are ANYWHERE in the Green or Yellow (and obviously red, but correctly-so) zones outside of the FRZ.

It's worth noting that other local No Fly Zones appear to be working properly and you can unlock an Authorization Zone either in-app or in advance on DJI's site. It's also worth noting that if you intend to request a manual override of the NFZ through the Individual Unlocking process, that process only works for users of Apple products with iOS - no android. So we android users are stuck waiting for DJI to update the firmware. Again, this only affects the Mavics and I have personally witnessed Phantom units being flown and Authorization Areas being unlocked in the precise spots my Mavic gets the No Fly Zone notification. PLEASE DJI - fix the erroneous geofence mapping and/or make it so Android users can request the manual overrides. We all understand that living in the DC area comes with extra restrictions, but you have erroneously removed hundreds of square miles from our "flyable" area!
2017-2-9
Use props
x1War Monger1x
lvl.4
United States

That Bex Posted at 2017-2-9 01:46
Tried to edit a post & got deleted - trying again.

This issue has come up in a couple other threads and after some trial & error to test a theory, here is what appears to be the issue: some or all Mavics were shipped with firmware that has erroneously-extended the 15 nautical mile Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ) around Washington DC to the full extent of the GREEN "Enhanced Warning Zone" as shown on the DJI "flysafe" maps. This means no amount of controller unlocking or Advance Unlocking on the DJI site will unlock this area and if you are trying to fly a Mavic, you will get the No Fly Zone notification if you are ANYWHERE in the Green or Yellow (and obviously red, but correctly-so) zones outside of the FRZ.

well I hope that you are right. I hope they do the update and get this resolved. After looking at their map daily, hoping that something was going to pop out at me and apologize for not letting me fly my mavic in a green zone at my house has gotten me frazzled to say the least. I just hope that DJI fixes this very very soon. the one thing that is most irritating is that it will tell me I can unlock, it gives me those options. and after I hit confirm, it reverts right back to NO FLY ZONE.
2017-2-9
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules