drone flew its own route with no input
1364 11 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BlueMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73087 ft
Canada

I was flying my P4P the other night. When I was bringing it back to land it, it decided to start flying in a horizontal circle with no stick input from myself.
I looked at the video and it looks like it was a 12ft diameter circle over and over all on its own.
Can anyone explain what happened? Anyone seen or heard of this before?
2017-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

That sounds like a bad compass calibration to me. Where did you take off from?
2017-1-23
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-23 13:02
That sounds like a bad compass calibration to me. Where did you take off from?

from my backyard. no issue during take off or during flying it. then i brought it back and it started randomly doing its own circles
2017-1-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like you have a Mavic. Just kidding. But, they WERE having similar issues at one point.
2017-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

BlueMan Posted at 2017-1-23 13:09
from my backyard. no issue during take off or during flying it. then i brought it back and it started randomly doing its own circles

OK, but that sort of behaviour suggests a badly aligned compass.
2017-1-23
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Canada

if it was a badly aligned compass i would be having a warning on the app and id be having that issue the whole flight. right?
2017-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BlueMan Posted at 2017-1-23 13:45
if it was a badly aligned compass i would be having a warning on the app and id be having that issue the whole flight. right?

Are you saying you got no warnings, you can always play your flight back in the app to see if there were any warnings,
Did you have good gps?
You can also upload your flight log to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  and post them here so maybe we can see what happened..
Good luck..
2017-1-23
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-23 14:06
Are you saying you got no warnings, you can always play your flight back in the app to see if there were any warnings,
Did you have good gps?
You can also upload your flight log to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  and post them here so maybe we can see what happened..

yes, i looked at the video, no warnings popped up and i had no pressure on either stick. the video is how i saw it was a 12ft diameter circle
2017-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BlueMan Posted at 2017-1-23 14:11
yes, i looked at the video, no warnings popped up and i had no pressure on either stick. the video is how i saw it was a 12ft diameter circle

It sounds like compass issue, whether it was interference in the air or if you calibrated your compass recently in an unsuitable location.
2017-1-23
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Canada

sorry it is sideways but you can see i stopped pulling down with the left stick and then it starts doing its weird circle on its own
2017-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BlueMan Posted at 2017-1-23 14:27
here it is sorry it is sideways but you can see i stopped pulling down with the left stick and then it starts doing its weird circle on its own

It sounds like a compass problem OR a perfectly good compass in an area of magnetic influence.
I can make my phantom do that any time by descending towards a steel roof.
As the Phantom gets closer and the magnetic influence of teh roof gets greater, the phantom starts to do slow circles - climb and it stops.
2017-1-23
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
United States

@labroides. I've flown in my back yard a lot of times and it's never been as issue so I have no idea what happened
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules