Can you fly I2 with just 1 battery attached?
4175 9 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky2PIC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3054869 ft
United States

I am an Inspire 1 Pro owner that is looking to possibly invest in an I2.  Can you fly the I2/X5S with just one battery attached to the aircraft?  Does the aircraft/gimbal remain stable and balanced with only one battery?  I'm interested to know if its possible.
2017-1-23
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394528 ft
United States

Hi Sky2PIC,

I just tested mine. If you put a battery into the left slot only, the Inspire 2 won't power on. If you put a battery into the right slot only, it will power on, but when you connect your controller to it and open the DJI go 4 app, you get a warning to insert more batteries. You can exit this warning and still take off. I'm assuming you'd only get about 5 minutes of flight time, but yes, you can fly with only one battery inserted into the right slot. Mine flew fine while both recording video and pictures with the X5S camera (I have another issue the X5S camera that I've posted to this forum) until the battery went below 40%. At this point the voltage from just the single battery was too low to maintain operation and the Inspire 2 self landed. Mind you, I was only flying it 3-4 feet above the grass in my front yard for this test. I'd definitely recommend always using two batteries for the Inspire 2. I've purchased 8 which gives me around 70 minutes of usable flight time without recharging. With recharging, I can cycle through them all day with minimal downtime. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this helps.
2017-1-23
Use props
fans413ab842
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61860 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianDavis Posted at 2017-1-23 13:46
Hi Sky2PIC,

I just tested mine. If you put a battery into the left slot only, the Inspire 2 won't power on. If you put a battery into the right slot only, it will power on, but when you connect your controller to it and open the DJI go 4 app, you get a warning to insert more batteries. You can exit this warning and still take off. I'm assuming you'd only get about 5 minutes of flight time, but yes, you can fly with only one battery inserted into the right slot. Mine flew fine while both recording video and pictures with the X5S camera (I have another issue the X5S camera that I've posted to this forum) until the battery went below 40%. At this point the voltage from just the single battery was too low to maintain operation and the Inspire 2 self landed. Mind you, I was only flying it 3-4 feet above the grass in my front yard for this test. I'd definitely recommend always using two batteries for the Inspire 2. I've purchased 8 which gives me around 70 minutes of usable flight time without recharging. With recharging, I can cycle through them all day with minimal downtime. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... /page-2#post-133730
Above is a link on the InspirePilots.com sight that references an Inspire-2 that dropped out of the sky and if you read all the way down through the threads it appears that the cause may have been at least in part to flying with just one battery...  The other possible contributing factor may have been related to the one battery not being seated properly.  Everything I have read from DJI regarding the batteries references keeping them paired, keeping them fully charged and flying with both of them, (obviously securely seated). I know that I for one am not willing to risk my $6K+ investment by only flying with just one of the batteries...
2017-1-23
Use props
BrianDavis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394528 ft
United States

fans413ab842 Posted at 2017-1-23 17:59
http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... /page-2#post-133730
Above is a link on the InspirePilots.com sight that references an Inspire-2 that dropped out of the sky and if you read all the way down through the threads it appears that the cause may have been at least in part to flying with just one battery...  The other possible contributing factor may have been related to the one battery not being seated properly.  Everything I have read from DJI regarding the batteries references keeping them paired, keeping them fully charged and flying with both of them, (obviously securely seated). I know that I for one am not willing to risk my $6K+ investment by only flying with just one of the batteries...

Yes, I can't think of a reason I'd ever seriously fly the I2 with only one battery. For my test. I took off and just hovered 3-4 feet above my grass. Also there's no real gain to flying with one battery. I'm not sure why someone would do it. You only get 60% of the battery to use before the voltage is too low and it's draining the battery twice as fast, so you get just about 30% of the flight time you would using two batteries. Just doesn't make sense to use only one battery.
2017-1-23
Use props
SPH*i2*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322579 ft
United Kingdom

No not if you upgrade the newest firmware
2017-3-22
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

As stated above, the latest F/W will not allow the bird to takeoff with only one battery no matter where it's inserted.
2017-3-22
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to have this option again, right now I have one bad battery and can't even fly my 3rd pack. yes I have 2 more, but it's not the point. if you guys want the safety fine, but i would be happy with a warning I can chose to override.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JohnnieYaz Posted at 2017-8-14 10:07
I would like to have this option again, right now I have one bad battery and can't even fly my 3rd pack. yes I have 2 more, but it's not the point. if you guys want the safety fine, but i would be happy with a warning I can chose to override.

The aircraft cannot fly with single battery.
2017-8-15
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

Just because you can...

Just-because-you-CANdoesnt-mean-you-SHOULD-800x675.jpg
2017-8-15
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-15 00:17
The aircraft cannot fly with single battery.

I assume this was firmware that it would let fly on the right battery, so it can but no longer supported by DJI’s choice not ours. I had a defective battery and need to drop the voltage down to 5%.. Impossible to do with current firmware unless you wait 4 hours with it just sitting in idol. I have never needed a redundant battery in all other DJI product so I don’t think it such a big deal and consider it extra fuel and a added safety bonus.

2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules