2151 18 2015-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david.spencer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

after reading about a man that shut his motors off mid flight I thouht I would check in the simulator, it would appear that if you bank to the left and backwards and for some unknown reason push the left stick down and right you will indeed shut the motors down and destroy your machine. Dji need to address this so it can't be done once altitude is a couple of feet.

Dave
2015-2-17
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

That is worrying.
2015-2-17
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Yea they should fix that ha
2015-2-17
Use props
andi.witech
lvl.1

Denmark

there is nothing to fix? if you read the manual it is all stated.. and it has been like this with all their products and i dont see why it is an issue now?
2015-2-17
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

there is nothing to fix? if you read the manual it is all stated.. and it has been like this with all their products and i dont see why it is an issue now?

They need to fix it because the Inspire is not like any other Dji drone out there, it's a very fast react and speed drone. because of that you can find yourself play with it differently then you had with the Phantom, etc.

2015-2-18
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2

This is not issue but an implemented feature. It's even safety feature in certain (rare) cases when dropping bird beats alternative eg, hitting people etc when control is somehow otherwise lost
2015-2-18
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fine, didn't realise it was normal. I does worry me that someone could accidently shut it down though
2015-2-18
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2

david.spencer@b Posted at 2015-2-18 21:23
fine, didn't realise it was normal. I does worry me that someone could accidently shut it down thoug ...

Your worry is valid imo and propably this feature should be more known overall. I've been flying quads for some years and for me this is normal as my previous quad have never had GPS nor all these other nice features.

When flying (especially filming) there's very little reason to put sticks to these extreme positions anyways eg. when do you actually fly maximal to south-west (stick) while fully descending with full yaw to right
2015-2-18
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I understand what your saying, I work in health and safety and although a normal person wouldn't jump of a scaffold we still have to protect against the idiot that would if you know what I mean.
2015-2-18
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

jaanus Posted at 2015-2-18 23:02
Your worry is valid imo and propably this feature should be more known overall. I've been flying q ...

That's right ! You'd have to Hold the sticks at the stated shut down stick  position and it's not an  instant off switch how you would hold the sticks to these positions is odd during flight . Nothing to fix because this is the way it was purposely set up , never had a problem with this happening after tons of flights on three birds ... Always knew you could stop the motors but paid little notice to this feature and I don't shut down this way after landing either I just throttle back all the way . So how your flying in such a way that you actually held those sticks in the shut motor off mode I'm not understanding , it does not happen instantly even if you get the sticks momentarily to this position during normal piloting .
2015-2-18
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

andi.witech Posted at 2015-2-18 15:41
there is nothing to fix? if you read the manual it is all stated.. and it has been like this with al ...

I read the manual as well and have avoided these  stick maneuvers when in flight. Still, I think DJI should put some sort of altitude lock, so that can't happen. It just doesn't seem very 'safe' to be able to cut your motors mid flight.
Just not sensible at all imo.

In no disrespect, legitimately curious. When would you need to shut your motors mid flight??
2015-2-18
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2
Finland

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-19 01:47
I read the manual as well and have avoided these  stick maneuvers when in flight. Still, I think D ...

"In no disrespect, legitimately curious. When would you need to shut your motors mid flight??"

I honestly don't know either but for me it's comforting to know I have that option is all else somehow fails

2015-2-18
Use props
andi.witech
lvl.1

Denmark

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-19 01:47
I read the manual as well and have avoided these  stick maneuvers when in flight. Still, I think D ...

if you get stuck in a tree some of the motors will speed up and try to level your bird out and they will break down eventually if they are not shut off.. also if you have to land it in your hand because of rough terrain or if it fucks up and speeds away? i like to have that option in my back hand instead of it hurling into anyone or anything! i would rather shut off engines and crash the bird instead of killing somebody
2015-2-18
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

andi.witech Posted at 2015-2-19 02:53
if you get stuck in a tree some of the motors will speed up and try to level your bird out and the ...

Yea I agree about catching it, like with the phantom. I also see your point about trees. All valid statements.

I still think the Inspire IMU should be smart enough to tell if its flying in the air or caught on a third party obstruction. Especially with its bottom camera sensors.

So if it is flying upright in the air, it should not be able to shut off. Especially if its above 'x' amount altitude.

I see how adding this type of 'thinking' to the Inspire's brain could cause for more bugs, complications, and confusion. I'm still pretty confident in my opinion that it should not, no matter what, be able to shut off if its flying high in the air.

In any case, I still love my inspire!! My favorite bird. I have phantoms and mini syma's. Overall performance still is dominated by the Inspire.

Pilots should really be aware of  ALL the Inspire's functions and thoroughly read the manual SEVERAL times before their maiden voyage.
But, human error is always there and dumb asses as well. Not referring to OP. Just saying in general.
2015-2-18
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2
Finland

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-19 03:35
Yea I agree about catching it, like with the phantom. I also see your point about trees. All valid  ...

I personally still think this option is good to have when all else fails. Like earlier poster pointed out I'd rather drop down the bird than risk hitting people and also tree scenario is completely valid in my case

In some other thread someone explained that this happened to him due he's "advanced" pilot and doesn't think about stick moves but only about flying (not a direct quote mind you) I consider myself to be decent pilot too and honestly I personally don't see any scenario where I would want to fly this bird in the way that I would ever reach those stick positions. Try to think how flying looks like if you have full yaw and full descend together with full left and back (or right and back)
2015-2-18
Use props
andi.witech
lvl.1

Denmark

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-19 03:35
Yea I agree about catching it, like with the phantom. I also see your point about trees. All valid  ...

i see your point and yes it would be lovely if it could figure it out by it self but anyway ill still feel most secure by having the controls myself
2015-2-18
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I see what some are saying about the need for a fast shutdown with as little need for thought as possible. But even those who see that need seem to be wondering about a more fail-safe mechanism. It doesn’t seem absurd or naive to wonder about an extra measure of security.  Maybe they feel time lag is already sufficient.  If a time lag alteration makes the safety factor redundant then maybe it could be governed by a functional prerequisite.  

They balanced the need for a convenient and straightforward shutdown against the possibility that CSC could be held long enough during flight to actually pose a risk.  They obviously opted for CSC only and assumed the likelihood of involuntary engagement too rare or impossible.

That doesn’t mean that there is no room for improvement.  To me they seem to have done a pretty good job of covering bases so far and there is no reason to think they are unwilling to consider further measures.

2015-2-18
Use props
st0gas
lvl.2

Lithuania

I wrote email to DJI regarding it second week of Janury, as I managed to start again motors in mid air, quite a big luck. The answer was from DJI stunning. They said its impossible to stop motors while you are in the air..... I just don't pay attention to them anymore, crossing fingers and hoping it will be fixed in the future.
2015-2-18
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you try it in the simulator you will notice there is no time delay, it's instantaneous
2015-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules