Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My Phantom 2 from Hell
2241 10 2014-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
petdcat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1650 ft
Thailand

I have bought and flown a couple of Phantom 2 before this one. The first, due to pilot error, I lost in a lake on a golf course in Chiang Mai,Thailand The second one, again due to pilot error, I lost it in the Jungle in Bali. I say this just to establish that I have experience flying the Phantom and I know how it should behave. The Phantom I have now has been defective from the very beginning. The first 2 times I flew it was ok. The 3rd time, after calibrating the compass and getting 12 satellites,when I throttled up the Phantom immediately climbed full speed to about 12 meters then dropped like a rock. This cracked both the top and bottom shell. I recalibrated the compass and tried again. This time it would fly correctly for about 4 or 5 minutes then would crash to the ground. I went home and did another IMU calibration reinstalled the software recharged the batteries and tried again. It didn’t crash to the ground but it would drop to the ground then lift off again. I brought it back to the hobby shop where I bought it and explained the problem. They reinstalled the software and said the location where I was flying probably had interference. I had flown there over a dozen times and doubted this advice. I went to a new location and it flew perfectly. I then went back to old location and it flew perfectly. The next week when I went to fly, it dropped to the ground again. I returned again to the dealer and said I think this should go back to DJI. He said DJI would not accept it back because I had opened it. I only opened it to install the H3-3D Anti-Interference Board. The latest problem is the 2 batteries I have. One of them has only been used about 12 times and the other 29. Neither of them are recognized by the Phantom. When installed I get a error message saying “ Not DJI intelligent Battery!”  Cleaned all contacts and get the same result. My guess is the Naza unit is defective. How do I return this to DJI if I get no cooperation from the dealer?
2014-10-5
Use props
tmansonusa
lvl.3

United States

Personally I think the weak points in the P2V+ are the ESCs.  They dissipate a lot of energy (especially under a full load) and they get warm, very warm.  They are also built with commercial grade parts thus their performance under extreme conditions are not very well guaranteed and the likelihood of getting a bad part in an operational ESC is credible.  So Petdcat, I suspect that your first crash in that third Phantom was possibly caused by a weak ESC and its capability went down from there.  Unfortunately without a good set of electronic lab equipment you are probably not going to know the weak links at this point and may be forced to replace all of the ESCs (and anything else that may have been weakened by the first crash.  This is all speculation on my part however, so it might be a great time to learn how the electronics in your Phantom work.  
Good luck,
Tom
2014-10-6
Use props
petdcat
lvl.1
Thailand

Well I found the problem, it was the connection on the main circuit board where the battery plugs in. There is a connector thats says  SMB for the smart battery. This connector was no longer soldered to the board. It must have always been loose and intermittent , now it finally popped off.
2014-10-8
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
China

Hi petdcat,
Do you have picture of the original soldering? With that we can study and improve our manufacturing quality to avoid this happening again.

Also, after re-soldering the connector, did the issue go away?

Thank you
2014-10-8
Use props
petdcat
lvl.1
Thailand

DJI-JS Posted at 2014-10-9 15:13
Hi petdcat,
Do you have picture of the original soldering? With that we can study and improve our ma ...

I ordered a new central circuit board and it should be here next week. I cannot resolder the connector it is too small. I will post the results after installation.
2014-10-9
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.4
  • >>>
China

petdcat Posted at 2014-10-10 13:03
I ordered a new central circuit board and it should be here next week. I cannot resolder the conne ...

Ok, keep us updated.
2014-10-10
Use props
chris
New

Australia

Can you cut the connector off and solder direct to the board? See pic? Although I have tried solder I am still getting "Not DJI intelligent Battery!" error. Have I soldered in the wrong spot?
2015-12-21
Use props
chris
New

Australia

Can you cut the connector off and solder direct to the board? See pic? Although I have tried solder I am still getting "Not DJI intelligent Battery!" error. Have I soldered in the wrong spot?
2015-12-21
Use props
chris
New

Australia

2015-12-21
Use props
chris
New

Australia

2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

chris@halfnine. Posted at 2015-12-21 16:46
Can you cut the connector off and solder direct to the board? See pic? Although I have tried solde ...

Can't see your picture
2015-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules