Motors - phantom 3 advanced
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonathan1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

recently my dad decided to use my drone with out my permission, thanks dad. It was his first time flying it and to be honest probably didnt know what he was doing. He tells me that upon take off the drone wents backwards one the ground as he tryed to take off, causing the rear propellors to hit the ground. As this happend he said that the motor jammed and has smoke coming out of the motor its self. Does any one know any possible ways to test if the motor is still safe and suitable to use.

Also i have recently noticed a small crack in the fram on the top side coming from the front left motor, again does any one know if this is safe and if need replacing how. I have never crashed the drone so i dont know how the problem has occurred as i havnt use it much over the winter.

If any one can help that would be very helpful.
THANKS
2017-1-24
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Can't comment on the crack - do you have a pic ? On the motor I wouldn't risk it. May look ok, may start ok but if it fails at any decent height the drone is toast. New motors are readily available - just make sure to get a matching one. DJI changed the motors on the P3A and P3pro mid life cycle. Later ones are supposed to be more efficient
2017-1-24
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

If your dad saw the "magic smoke" you have probably fried an ESC. I would open the shell up and follow the wires from the motor to the motherboard where the wires are soldered on. You'll see the bits that burnt up, I'm sure.
2017-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Look at the copper motor windings, are they copper colored or sooty black?

The plastic shell can be replaced, by yourself if you're handy, or you can send it in for repair.
It might be prudent to send it in to get checked now anyway... Up to you. On dads account too...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-24
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-24 14:12
Look at the copper motor windings, are they copper colored or sooty black?

The plastic shell can be replaced, by yourself if you're handy, or you can send it in for repair.

My son had a similar experience. He landed and pulled both sticks back and to the corners, not aware he was doing a CSC. It flipped over immediately  and 2-motors started smoking. I was able to get to it and pull the battery out in a matter of seconds. I told him the motors were only $18-$20 each and he should change them or I would even do it for him. To my amazement, he let it cool off and since then he has flown it repeatedly without issue. I am just waiting on the day it decides to drop out of the sky and I have to tell "Told you so". I hope not but, there has to be some wires fried in there! LOL Anyway it is still going strong, so I know it can be done. Not suggesting it though. Motors are very inexpensive as far as I am concerned, and not hard to change out. good insurance in my book. you decide.

As far as the cracks, there are many conversations about that too! I purchased. as some had suggested, some "Weld-4" solvent. It works great. Looks like water but a drop or two in the cracks and it actually fuses or melts it back together. I can still see them but they have not opened up any. I think it is great stuff, but you can replace the shell too for around $60, but thinking the cracks will come back at some point. I wouldn't stress to much about them as long as they don't continue to get bigger. But they probably will. No change has been made with the design. A lot of us have them. Mine still flies fine.
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-1-25 10:52
My son had a similar experience. He landed and pulled both sticks back and to the corners, not aware he was doing a CSC. It flipped over immediately  and 2-motors started smoking. I was able to get to it and pull the battery out in a matter of seconds. I told him the motors were only $18-$20 each and he should change them or I would even do it for him. To my amazement, he let it cool off and since then he has flown it repeatedly without issue. I am just waiting on the day it decides to drop out of the sky and I have to tell "Told you so". I hope not but, there has to be some wires fried in there! LOL Anyway it is still going strong, so I know it can be done. Not suggesting it though. Motors are very inexpensive as far as I am concerned, and not hard to change out. good insurance in my book. you decide.

As far as the cracks, there are many conversations about that too! I purchased. as some had suggested, some "Weld-4" solvent. It works great. Looks like water but a drop or two in the cracks and it actually fuses or melts it back together. I can still see them but they have not opened up any. I think it is great stuff, but you can replace the shell too for around $60, but thinking the cracks will come back at some point. I wouldn't stress to much about them as long as they don't continue to get bigger. But they probably will. No change has been made with the design. A lot of us have them. Mine still flies fine.

It's your call on the motors. If the windings aren't black, perhaps the power was cut, before major damage ensued. Hopefully, it will continue to be safe for many many happy trouble free flights.

Those shell cracks are pretty common in these drones. Considering the stresses a small aircraft must surely encounter every flight. It doesn't seem all that unusual to me. Having said that. Going on two years here without any on my Phantom 3 Pro. I either got very lucky, or perhaps my run, was a better quality plastic material than many that were constructed after mine was assembled. ;-)

Hope you continue to enjoy your drone for as long as it's in your possession. Forever even. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-1-24 14:03
Can't comment on the crack - do you have a pic ? On the motor I wouldn't risk it. May look ok, may start ok but if it fails at any decent height the drone is toast. New motors are readily available - just make sure to get a matching one. DJI changed the motors on the P3A and P3pro mid life cycle. Later ones are supposed to be more efficient

Just so the OP understands, you must replace motors with the same, if you happen to have the older motors you must replace with the same.
  With the older P3 the ESC was a separate part and only works with early motor.
With the newer P3 the ESC and Mainboard are integrated and uses only the new style motor.  Good Luck!
See photos
     The copper wndings are coated to protect them and keep them in place, the coating smells bad and smokes when overheated.

New vs Old

New vs Old
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules