DRONE RANGE
2513 22 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Big Dog 1967
lvl.1
Flight distance : 324409 ft
United States

hello all, i have a phantom 4 and it is supposed to have a range of 3 miles, mine only goes a little over a mile before it loses contact with the controller and does not transmit images. any ideas?
2017-1-24
Use props
browncoat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12497 ft
United States

Where are you flying?
2017-1-24
Use props
S1000RR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 955581 ft
Italy

Zone,interference,Wi-Fi channel......
2017-1-24
Use props
fans1db81d5e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft
United States

If you're in an urban/suburban neighborhood, you need to factor in all of the interference around.  I took my stock P4 straight out over the water for 2.73 miles without any problem at all.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

In an interference free area you should be able to get close to the advertised range.
Also, proper antenna orientation is necessary. Here is a video that may help.
And if your flying in your neighborhood, there's tons of interference and you will get no where close to the advertised range.

2017-1-24
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203484 ft
United States

LOS line of sight out in the country I achieved 3.5 miles one way. I was positioned on a highside ~250' up. I still had fairly good signal strength both ways. When I turned and started heading back my video broke up a few times, so I'm glad I didn't push it. Any type of obstructions will greatly reduce the distance you can fly.

2017-1-24
Use props
Big Dog 1967
lvl.1
United States

i live in the suburbs, i am flying around my neighborhood and its pretty good there, the problem happens when i reach the area of stores and restaurants. i purchased the shields for the antenna and it improved a little but not much.
2017-1-24
Use props
Big Dog 1967
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-24 15:56
In an interference free area you should be able to get close to the advertised range.
Also, proper antenna orientation is necessary. Here is a video that may help.
And if your flying in your neighborhood, there's tons of interference and you will get no where close to the advertised range.

this video was helpful, thanks
2017-1-24
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Big Dog 1967 Posted at 2017-1-24 18:54

Most Restaurants and stores, and Business's  have WiFi routers that are much stronger then home units, also these same places also have wireless burglar alarms all of which put out massive signal strength compared to  Home wifi routers on top of all that there are usually huge power transformers that supply these buildings which also transmit interference. So it's like flying into a perfect signal overload storm. I've only got one place that i can fly care free and it is over 7 farms that i have obtained permission to fly their properties when flying there i have almost achieved a full 4 miles. And only there do i trust my auto return to home after signal loss (Due to low signal interference)  so i fly till loss of signal almost every flight. in town i turn around when my Downlink starts to show diminished capacity.  
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Big Dog 1967 Posted at 2017-1-24 18:54

Good to hear, let us know how much further you can get now after you've tested it out.
2017-1-25
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Already answered it looks like (with the WIFI in public) but there are a lot of the items in the 2.4ghz range that could be interfering. Risky to fly out a couple miles, past what you can actually see, especially when over restaurants and stores, just keep that in mind.
2017-1-25
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Normn8or Posted at 2017-1-24 22:39
Most Restaurants and stores, and Business's  have WiFi routers that are much stronger then home units, also these same places also have wireless burglar alarms all of which put out massive signal strength compared to  Home wifi routers on top of all that there are usually huge power transformers that supply these buildings which also transmit interference. So it's like flying into a perfect signal overload storm. I've only got one place that i can fly care free and it is over 7 farms that i have obtained permission to fly their properties when flying there i have almost achieved a full 4 miles. And only there do i trust my auto return to home after signal loss (Due to low signal interference)  so i fly till loss of signal almost every flight. in town i turn around when my Downlink starts to show diminished capacity.

RTH has nothing to do with interference, it is set using GPS. So as long as you have enough satellites it should always work correctly no matter how bad the interference.
2017-1-25
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2017-1-25 15:46
RTH has nothing to do with interference, it is set using GPS. So as long as you have enough satellites it should always work correctly no matter how bad the interference.

To each his own, I my self know that huge transformers create huge magnetic interference that can affect compass which can send the bird in the opposite direction of home point. So i'll stick with what works for me. No since in putting a compass in the bird if it doesn't need it or use it in autonomous functions such as RTH. Could have save some money not putting it in.
2017-1-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Normn8or Posted at 2017-1-25 16:00
To each his own, I my self know that huge transformers create huge magnetic interference that can affect compass which can send the bird in the opposite direction of home point. So i'll stick with what works for me. No since in putting a compass in the bird if it doesn't need it or use it in autonomous functions such as RTH. Could have save some money not putting it in.

Of course it uses and needs the compass. It is the sensor that tells the controller which direction the bird is pointing.
2017-1-25
Use props
Big Dog 1967
lvl.1
United States

all good information, i will try a different route and let you know what happens.thank you
2017-1-25
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-25 16:47
Of course it uses and needs the compass. It is the sensor that tells the controller which direction the bird is pointing.

My point Exactly... ;-)
2017-1-26
Use props
ZS1SSM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123146 ft
South Africa

I did a test on my Phantom 4 with a freshly charged battery on the drone and controller and lost signal at an altitude of 220 meters and distance of 300 meters (Flying in the country where there in no buildings or any other interference)  
I am running DJI App 3.0.1 on controller and latest firmware on drone
2017-1-26
Use props
fans1db81d5e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft
United States

4.5 miles for me.
IMG_0504.PNG
2017-1-31
Use props
punkie
lvl.3
Australia

my p4 pro with apparently 7km range started having drop outs at 2km, in the country off the side of a hill. It was a cloudy day, so maybe there was some moisture in the air? don't believe the hype I say..
2017-2-2
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Those specs for distance are only true if you live on the salt flats!!
2017-2-2
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Big Dog 1967 Posted at 2017-1-24 18:50
i live in the suburbs, i am flying around my neighborhood and its pretty good there, the problem happens when i reach the area of stores and restaurants. i purchased the shields for the antenna and it improved a little but not much.

You will get a lot of terrestrial interference around condensed area's.

So that could be the issue.   I live away from cities in the mountains and have a P3S and can reach the maximum distance on it.  About to get a ARGTec antenna set to extend my range.

I run a satellite teleport ground station and I moved away from the city because of interference.  I do not think there are any microwave filters you can get for drones.  
2017-2-2
Use props
Atti Mode
lvl.2
Flight distance : 985623 ft
United States

It certainly helps to understand a little physics and how radio waves are transmitted and received.

Learn more here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_zone
2017-2-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Thanks ATTI Mode
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now