Scary situation
1479 11 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Hello

The topic title is not a clickbait. It is really a scary situation with all this reports of fly aways or crashes!

I've bought mine 2 weeks ago and so far (thankfully) is fine. But i'm scared to fly confident.

Have all up to date (firmware + dji go app).

usually fly always in open areas with good reception (usually 8 to 10 sattelites) and not exceed the flight distance (about 200 m or so, i'm newbie in this lol), also with full battery and full battery on RC. Using Samsung Galaxy S7 (good GPS coverage also)

My question here: fly or not to fly? Soon will need this fantastic bird for a job (areal photography). I must rely on the equipment to not desapoint my client.

Any opinions or suggestion are most welcome

Thanks

________
Fly Safe.
LeonardoSB (on youtube)

2017-1-24
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Practice ATTI MODE...You will be glad you mastered it.

Check RC and AC and PROPS before and after each flight.
2017-1-24
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

dronist Posted at 2017-1-24 16:10
Practice ATTI MODE...You will be glad you mastered it.

Check RC and AC and PROPS before and after each flight.

Yeah. i was thinking about it and today i start a little bit "without the training wheels" it is hard but fun.

Need more practice tho.

Thanks for the hint

________
Fly Safe.
LeonardoSB (youtube)
2017-1-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Leonardo,

Since you already have a project planned, your best option is to try to duplicate the flight as much as possible.  This way, you will be able to operate the Phantom with more confidence.  Reading the manual more than once is also a good confidence builder.  The manual will give you a good overview of setting needs.

In the General Settings (upper right of "Camera View" screen, 3 short lines) are the flight settings and options.  The most important will be "Gimbal".  Be sure the gimbal setting is for "Follow", not "FPV".  Follow will be blue, but test the touch process of choosing settings by changing the setting between Follow and FPV back and forth.  You will see that after you set the gimbal on Follow, the setting turns blue.  FPV requires a lot of work to get it right.

To help you, I have attached three images that will help you understand better how to use your Aerial Camera and what settings to use.  Read them over until you have a better understanding of how to make everything work the way you want it to.

Aloha and Drone On!
SmoothPANs.png
Improve Video.jpg
Improve Video2.jpg
2017-1-24
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Get rid of the Go app 3.1.2 and install version 2.9.1 or 3.0.1 Then work on a pre-flight check list.
2017-1-24
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-24 16:24
Aloha Leonardo,

Since you already have a project planned, your best option is to try to duplicate the flight as much as possible.  This way, you will be able to operate the Phantom with more confidence.  Reading the manual more than once is also a good confidence builder.  The manual will give you a good overview of setting needs.

Wow! nice tip man! Will have lots to read tonight! Love it!

Thanks a lot dude and Aloha!

Saudações de Lisboa

Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Betamace Posted at 2017-1-24 16:24
Get rid of the Go app 3.1.2 and install version 2.9.1 or 3.0.1 Then work on a pre-flight check list.

That looks a nice option. In this way i dont need to downgrade the AC firmware right?

Thanks for the hint
2017-1-24
Use props
Pekik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995397 ft
Indonesia

get a cheap manual drone for practice, mastering the manual control... you will get confident faster..
2017-1-24
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Pekik Posted at 2017-1-24 16:38
get a cheap manual drone for practice, mastering the manual control... you will get confident faster..

like those sell in gearbest and bangood type right? it is a good idea. maybe those little RC drone without any tech. Thanks
2017-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

leonardo.sb Posted at 2017-1-24 16:40
like those sell in gearbest and bangood type right? it is a good idea. maybe those little RC drone without any tech.  Thanks

No cheap "trainer drone" will be as easy to fly as the Phantom.
You'd be better off using your time to learn how the Phantom works and how to fly it.
If you are planning a job you definitely need to practice and be competent.
2017-1-24
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

leonardo.sb Posted at 2017-1-24 16:36
That looks a nice option. In this way i dont need to downgrade the AC firmware right?

Thanks for the hint

Downgrade the AC firmware? Not really.
The 1.7.9 firmware has been proven in casual testing to give somewhat better flying better range  but overall, the 1.8.1 seems just as good a version as 1.7.9.
IMHO, there is not much difference between the two versions.  It would take a lot of carefully planned tests in various locations and flying conditions to see which version is actually better as flying performance is quite variable due to many external factors.

Just lose the 3.1.2 app. It is bad.
2017-1-25
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Betamace Posted at 2017-1-25 04:07
Downgrade the AC firmware? Not really.
The 1.7.9 firmware has been proven in casual testing to give somewhat better flying better range  but overall, the 1.8.1 seems just as good a version as 1.7.9.
IMHO, there is not much difference between the two versions.  It would take a lot of carefully planned tests in various locations and flying conditions to see which version is actually better as flying performance is quite variable due to many external factors.

Yep. 2 days ago i've downgraded the app version. So far so good.  so far one flight only but everything is fine. more tests to come thanks
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules