DJI Customer Service - unsatisfactory explanation of failure
2549 23 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

My son was flying his P4 on Christmas Day and it disconnected mid-flight (not a Christmas gift thankfully - it was a graduation gift... he's had it about 6 months). It was about 1700 ft away and 150 ft. in the air, and not within visual line-of-sight, so he waited while trying to reconnect and/or RTH automatically. When it didn't show up, we went looking for it at the last known location.

We weren't ever able to reconnect with it or find it that day, but three days later I went back to look in the vicinity of LKL and found it. The battery was missing, so I thought it might have come out in-flight since we were very close to it on the day he lost it. The other possibility is it had a hard landing and that jarred the battery out. Although I didn't see it laying close by, it was near a ditch with high weeds and I wasn't going to dig around and find a snake instead!

Here are a few pics of what it looked like when I found it. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture of the spot where I found it. I was actually a bit concerned someone might think I was trespassing and so I didn't want to linger. Took these after I got home with it:

Two props look like they hit mud first, but they weren't broken. There is also a significant splotch of "something" on the top rear above the battery slot.

Here's a closer look into the battery slot. There's some discoloration near the bottom left of the back "wall" of the slot, and it appeared that possibly water had accumulated there. We had light precip in the Houston area off and on between the time it was lost and recovered, but nothing hard. This wasn't facing up toward the sky when I found it, but I've no doubt some of the precip probably got into this opening.

Here's a closer look at that splotch near the battery slot. The first thing I noticed is it's a different color than the mud on the rotors. It's obvious that the splatter that's on the side wall of the slot couldn't be there if the battery had been in the slot. I'm not sure how tight the seal is, but I'd guess not much could get on the top of the opening either. This looks like something that got there after the battery was gone. Of course, we don't know when over the course of the 3 days that happened...

Front view... the legs and gimbal seemed to be fine structurally. I have never tried operating it by hand (or even flown the P4), but the gimbal only rotates horizontally about 60-75 degrees. Having watched some of the video my son has shot, I think this is the normal range of motion to avoid getting the struts in the picture. The rotation in the vertical plane is closer to 90 degrees.

This shows a close-up of the rubber baffle or grommet that sits above the gimbal assembly. A small part of it was hanging down out of the body of the drone, but I was able to tuck it back into the opening and it appears okay.

Went back out and found the battery the next day... it was fried, presumably from laying in the mud. It had a slightly swollen area in one of the cells.

Here's where it and the drone landed...it was sitting in the tall weeds, upright, well above the water level in the ditch.

Those are some pretty tall trees, but they aren’t nearly tall enough to reach out and grab it when it was 150 ft. in the air… they’re 80-100 ft. tall, at most.

My son opened a case with DJI, and they sent us a pre-paid shipping label to return the drone and RC to them for evaluation and repair, which we did the first week of January. I hoped they could access the flight log and share it with us. I'd really like to see what it did after it disconnected, but they haven’t done that. With how the battery went splat in the mud, I'd say it had to have fallen from a decent height. Hoping this would all be covered under the warranty... we're under 1 year, but over 6 months so some parts may not be covered. Based on the quote below it appears that everything was functional when they powered it up.

Item

Quantity

Unit Price(USD)

Total Price(USD)

Phantom4 central   cover component

Phantom4 top cover

Service Charge

65.00/H

Freight:

Total Amount:

DJI Care deduction:

Total Payment:

I was a tad uncomfortable with sending it off not knowing what the internal flight log had on it... I have trust issues when the same people who will be deciding whether it was their fault or ours are the ones who control the information flow. That's the only way we could get to the next step in the process, since we weren’t willing to fork over the $115-140 (depending on where it comes from) to get a spare battery. Unfortunately, they concluded it was our fault.

From initial DJI Customer Service quotation:

CAS-382776-L0W5S7

Remarks:

Customer flying at   dangerous environment with a lot of trees around, the drone hit the tree   branch from bottom while returning to home.

There was no photo or video of the crash of the drone, nor did DJI send someone to the location to investigate, so they were clearly looking at Google Earth and responded with a canned answer. They have no way of proving the drone hit a tree branch - I cleaned it up before we shipped it, so there was literally no sign of damage. If it had hit a tree branch while ascending, it wouldn't have escaped with all four props intact. Furthermore, as you'll see below, the log shows a very controlled descent before loss of contact.

The log from the DJI Go app for the flight in question is here. I wanted the file stored on the drone itself, which should contain more information about what happened after it disconnected until it lost power. As mentioned, DJI has not shared that file with us.

I posted about this incident, and included this flight log, on a different forum. For comparison, the log of the flight immediately prior (just minutes before) is here. On that flight, Go to Home was activated at 2m 29s, and it shows the craft stopping forward motion, ascending to 246 ft., then continuing flight toward home. That altitude is consistent with what my son had programmed - 70 meters (even though the units on the app are set in Imperial, the selection for RTH altitude is in Metric – how confusing is that?). He disengaged Go to Home and flew it in Sport and P-GPS most of the way back, but that brief period of flight in Go Home mode indicates to me that the RTH altitude was set correctly.

On the flight he lost the drone, it shows the drone essentially hovering and decreasing in altitude after the return to home mode was activated. The drone was on the ground only a few minutes between those flights, and my son says he didn't change the RTH altitude.

I did some data analysis of those two flights... I am more comfortable with graphs, so here are pictures to illustrate the two flights.

This is the full first flight of the day. Four parameters plotted are altitude (blue line, left axis, ft.), speed (brown line, right axis, mph), battery (purple line, right axis, %) and an indicator when Go Home is activated (green line).

Here is the part of that flight where Go Home was activated (there were two downlink gaps in the data). You can see that altitude increased as expected and forward speed was resumed. This graph is on slightly different scales to match with the plots for the second flight.

Here is the full flight where the drone was lost... time on the x-axis is in minutes of flight, which picks up from the preceding flight.

Here is the last minute of data to zoom in on altitude and battery... wouldn't have expected it to suddenly start trying to land at 43% battery, but wondered if there was any correlation. The step-wise decrease in battery percentage is just because the value is reported without decimal places... in reality it was a slow, steady decrease.

It is clear to me that the drone behaved differently on the second flight than the first, and it isn't obvious that the change in altitude was correlated to activation of Go Home... this makes me wonder if there was an operational issue that caused it to lose altitude. I am less concerned now that there was an erroneous Go Home altitude set in the app, since the altitude did go up for a bit after Go Home was activated. I've looked at the other values recorded in the log and don't see anything that closely correlates to altitude decrease, but there's a lot I don't understand about the data.

A significant element of the discussion on the other forum revolved around the proximity of a small General Aviation airport nearby (Baytown Airport). The airport is west of Home point, and the app wouldn't let it fly into the restricted space, which is why my son triggered Go Home. There was a decent breeze blowing the day this happened, but not sure how that would affect it in the P-GPS mode. It appeared to hold at the boundary of the restricted altitude space.

Once Go Home is activated, I would have thought it would ascend (which it was trying to do at first) then fly home. It's like it hit a conflict in the command code that over-rode the ascend-then-fly-home instruction. If the wind was pushing it in the direction of the restricted space, could it somehow cause it to auto-land? Why isn't there any warning message about the restricted space landing?

One of the responses to my post on the other forum provided the following insight based on the flight log (thanks to msinger of PhantomHelp):

Before taking off, DJI GO did warn your son that he was about to fly in a warning zone (which has no flight restrictions). He took off and flew directly toward the airport until he hit the restricted altitude flight zone at 13m 48s in the flight log. From that point until 14m 8s in the flight log, he continued to attempt to fly toward the airport with the right stick in the full up position. Instead of pressing forward, the Phantom stopped and auto descended at its current location. While there is no message in the flight log indicating what happened, I can only assume the Phantom was trying to descend to a safe altitude since it was in a restricted altitude flight zone.

I don't understand the way it behaved… he called it “auto descending” but why would it do that without warning? Then it yawed around from -96 deg. to 90 deg. 5 seconds after RTH activated (pointing back toward Home) and then began ascending toward RTH altitude while holding station 1 second later. There were no inputs from the RC – my son was completely allowing it to function on auto. It ascended for 4 seconds then began descending again (all while pointed away from the restricted zone with no inputs from the RC).

This map shows the boundary which he reached on the second flight of the day. What's interesting is he has previously taken off and flown within the Authorization Zone (larger radius) around Baytown Airport (at a local park), but never tried to cross the boundary. That flight reached a higher altitude (186 ft.) and never generated any sort of a forced landing or even a different warning (only the same one on start-up as the flights on Christmas Day). The only difference is he never used the Go Home feature.

This
wiki page is hard to decipher, but appears to have some useful info as well. It doesn't use the same zone descriptions as the map pages, but has an illustration of how the altitude limit slopes up from 66 ft. at the edge of the no-fly zone up to a limit of 1640 ft. at the 1 mile radius which designates the edge of the second (authorization or restricted-altitude flight) zone. On the flight he lost the drone, he started outside the second zone, and even if he was a few feet inside it when the app stopped his forward motion, his ceiling ought to have been well above the altitude he was flying.

My son said he received a prompt from the app asking if he wanted to request authorization when he reached the boundary (presumably after trying to cross it and failing) and he replied "no" then hit the Go Home button. Loss of contact was after that happened. It should never have been in an auto-land situation.

The RTH altitude was set well below local ceiling altitude, as well as ceiling immediately inside boundary of "authorization" zone. The aircraft was not inside the boundary at loss of contact, based on last known location. The loss-of-signal action is programmed as return to home. There were 17 GPS satellites visible at loss of contact per the flight log recovered from the app.

I've loaded the KML file for the flight log into Google Earth, and on 3D view the trees are about half the height of the drone when contact was lost. Also I've measured the length of tree shadows in Google Earth using its ruler tool, and based on the maximum sun angle on the day the pictures were taken, the trees in the area the drone went down are all well below 100 ft. tall. I don't think the customer service reps from DJI would understand the trigonometry of that proof, so I’m afraid there’s no way to convince them.

We rejected the initial response from DJI and escalated the issue (opened what they call a “dispute”). After waiting over a week, they finally got back to my son with a response.

"Our Data Analysis experts re-evaluated and double checked your RTHF height is been automatically lower because he is right next to an airport, he is flying at a no-fly zone, the height needs to be limited, and that is why the altitude is been auto lower. Please do not fly close to any AIRPORT as this affect the flight of your unit."

This demonstrates their lack of understanding of the "no fly" vs. "authorized flight" boundaries, and the fact that they don't look to what happened after RTH initiated. He tried to reiterate our concerns with the lack of an explanation of the behavior of the Phantom, but they have said the  case is closed from their end. We aren’t going to have them do the repairs they quoted, so they are going to ship it back to us. We will have to wait to get the drone back, and get a battery, to try to recover the flight log off the aircraft.

I am hoping one of the mods here will be able to provide us with a better explanation than we have gotten through the Customer Service contact. As it stands now, we have very low confidence that the drone can be flown very far away without risk of losing it again. We obviously intend to stay clear of the airport, but I’ve read other posts about similar “Aircraft Disconnected” scenarios where they weren’t flying in the same setting… two ended up in rivers, one still hasn’t been recovered from the urban area it was lost. I haven’t done a thorough survey of all Phantom users, that is only the result of periodic searches of the internet.

We aren’t satisfied with the response from DJI – if there is an operating limit which we were unaware of, then we would like a clear explanation of the reason the Phantom crashed. It would obviously be nice if they would replace the battery, but we’re primarily interested in learning what happened so we can fly with confidence.

2017-1-24
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

Just to clarify - my son did initiate RTH manually before the drone disconnected from the RC...
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thanks for your detailed description, we're aware of your case and would like to help you escalate it.
I'll inform our engineers to review your data and get back to you once I get the analysis result.
2017-1-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry about this, & to see the pics and read about the unnatural behaviour. Hope that you can get it repaired and back real soon.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Its possible that the no fly zone forced the phantom to drop altitude to comply which then interupted the signal. It may have flown into the trees while trying to RTH and complying with the NFZ height restriction.

There is a reasonable description provided in the manual of what is supposed to happen with "no fly zones" as far as the drone being forced to a lower ceiling and eventually landing when these zones are intruded.
It may not be exactly what happened to your son but its worth reading because it seams to happen to a few Phantom pilots   each month.

No Fly Zone

No Fly Zones description

No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone
no fly text.jpg
2017-1-25
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-24 23:54
Thanks for your detailed description, we're aware of your case and would like to help you escalate it.
I'll inform our engineers to review your data and get back to you once I get the analysis result.

My son received an email, but it did not contain a conclusive analysis. Here is the text:

After re-reviewing your flight analysis, the conclusion will remain as previously stated.
The aircraft was too close to an airport and the altitude was limited due to safety and regulation concerns.
The Return to Home Function operated normally, however due to the environment and restriction of height distance, the unit struck and object.
However, there were no hardware, software or application malfunctions detected.  Based on this data our data analysts were unable to apply warranty.
Please refer to the data attached to this email.

Here are the two screen shots that they provided, which are from the on-board flight log:

We have several issues with this analysis:
  • As with the previous email, it refers to being in proximity to the airport (circled in red on the first picture) but does not explain what flight rule caused the drone to change altitude. You can see that we were nowhere near the NFZ.
  • The statement that the "Return to Home function operated normally" is wrong. In the second picture, the commanded RTH is circled in the text field below the graph. However, the drone did not return to home. In the low-resolution text at the bottom of the top picture, it indicates "fail-safe action hovering", yet that is not the way my son programmed it to respond to loss of contact. As you can see from the behavior in the first flight of the day, when RC connection was lost, it initiated a RTH.
  • The email also repeats the claim that it flew into an object, yet there is no proof of that (picture, video, etc.).
  • The second picture shows the altitude, and has data showing the drone went into hover at 20 meters, which it held for about 250 seconds. Based on our reading of the wiki page linked in the first post, that is the altitude limit at the boundary of a no-fly-zone (i.e. the red circle in the top picture). We were clearly not anywhere near the no-fly-zone!!!
  • Look at the title of the window in the second screen capture - "Viewer (build v1714) vision 1.25.11 with some unknown bug" - it basically says it all right there...

We would like to learn from this, but we have been given no explanation that we can use to change our future flight plans. This seems to be a blatant attempt to avoid responsibility on the part of DJI. On other threads, you have provided data from the DJI flight log analysis that shows what the pilot did wrong. In this case your data appears to point to a problem with the flight controls. Our understanding of the altitude restricted flight zones is outlined in my initial post. Please explain how the drone flew into an area that it thought it should be hovering at 20 meters when my son followed the rules and commanded a RTH when he reached the boundary of the Authorized Flight zone. After 4 minutes, were the batteries depleted enough to trigger an auto-land? I could definitely see that causing the drone to strike a tree, since there were trees in the vicinity. The failsafe return to home should have protected from this scenario happening.
2017-1-25
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"There was no photo or video of the crash of the drone, nor did DJI send someone to the location to investigate, so they were clearly looking at Google Earth and responded with a canned answer. They have no way of proving the drone hit a tree branch - I cleaned it up before we shipped it, so there was literally no sign of damage. If it had hit a tree branch while ascending, it wouldn't have escaped with all four props intact. Furthermore, as you'll see below, the log shows a very controlled descent before loss of contact."

I think DJI have enough info in the logs to tell with reasonable certainty that it hit a tree while attempting to rise up and fly over it, hitting a small branch doesn't necessarily cause any damage to the props and is unlikely to actually break them.  Unfortunately we don't have access to the data that is in the aircraft logs, for all we know it may include a 3D stereoscopic photo of the obstacle that triggered the assent followed by data showing the motors being obstructed, that would be fairly conclusive!  If I had been writing the aircraft software then I would certainly have considered including that information if practical. Given that it landed just under a row of trees I am inclined to believe their analysis.

I haven't managed to understand what has happened with the height restrictions, and I'm not going to spend much time trying to understand it.  However one thing I did wonder about is how does the aircraft know when it needs to reduce height?  I imagine that it would have to use GPS height since the barometer only gives relative height that is not relative to the airport - you might fly off a hill 1000 ft above the airport and fly horizontally over the airport, your barometric height would be 1000ft too low and that could be a very serious error.  In your analysis of heights you seem to be using barometric height relative to the take off point for everything, thus your analysis with regards to both airport restrictions and tree height may be significantly wrong.

Maybe the lesson to be learned is that you should not fly near airports, and if you do then you should certainly be within visual range of your aircraft so that you can avoid collisions. There is no guarantee that every aircraft leaving and landing at the airport will exceed the height limits that your aircraft is attempting to obey.  Flying beyond signal range while in restricted airspace so that you can't even control your aircraft is even worse.

2017-1-26
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-1-26 08:58
"There was no photo or video of the crash of the drone, nor did DJI send someone to the location to investigate, so they were clearly looking at Google Earth and responded with a canned answer. They have no way of proving the drone hit a tree branch - I cleaned it up before we shipped it, so there was literally no sign of damage. If it had hit a tree branch while ascending, it wouldn't have escaped with all four props intact. Furthermore, as you'll see below, the log shows a very controlled descent before loss of contact."

I think DJI have enough info in the logs to tell with reasonable certainty that it hit a tree while attempting to rise up and fly over it, hitting a small branch doesn't necessarily cause any damage to the props and is unlikely to actually break them.  Unfortunately we don't have access to the data that is in the aircraft logs, for all we know it may include a 3D stereoscopic photo of the obstacle that triggered the assent followed by data showing the motors being obstructed, that would be fairly conclusive!  If I had been writing the aircraft software then I would certainly have considered including that information if practical. Given that it landed just under a row of trees I am inclined to believe their analysis.

We are at 30 ft. above sea level, but as far as I know, all altitude discussion with respect to restricted flight zones is height above ground (is that what you're referring to as relative height?). There is obviously something about crossing the boundary into the authorized flight zone that caused something unexpected. Whether that was something we should have expected is really the crux of my argument. Nothing I can find online spells this out. The linked wiki about flight zones would lead me to a different conclusion than DJI has reached. Although I didn't state this in my last post, it is obvious that we need to stay away from the airport.
2017-1-26
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

WBN3 Posted at 2017-1-26 11:35
We are at 30 ft. above sea level, but as far as I know, all altitude discussion with respect to restricted flight zones is height above ground (is that what you're referring to as relative height?). There is obviously something about crossing the boundary into the authorized flight zone that caused something unexpected. Whether that was something we should have expected is really the crux of my argument. Nothing I can find online spells this out. The linked wiki about flight zones would lead me to a different conclusion than DJI has reached. Although I didn't state this in my last post, it is obvious that we need to stay away from the airport.

Not sure if flight restrictions are height above the runway or GPS height, GPS height would make more sense.

Your heights are height above take off point, which could easily be different to height above ground by the height of a tree.

My guess is that when implementing a height restriction the Phantom uses GPS height rather than height above take off point.

Even if you do find a description of how the flight restrictions are implemented, I think it is quite likely to be out of date as this is something DJI have done a lot of development and improvement on over the last year.
2017-1-26
Use props
Grrrrrr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1212684 ft
United States

As a hobist you should never be any closer to a air port than 5 miles
2017-1-26
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.2

United States

My guess is that perhaps somebody else may have saw it sitting there are jacked the battery from it, leaving the bird there in case of GPS tracking,  I dunno, just seems unlikely that the battery came out mid-flight.
2017-1-26
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-24 23:54

My son declined service and requested the drone be returned 10 days ago... we have heard nothing since then. As a moderator, can you provide any insight into this lack of communication? We are aware it was Chinese New Year a couple weeks ago, but this is taking too long to hear back. There are many threads detailing poor communication by DJI in the Service forum... would really appreciate an update. Thanks.
2017-2-8
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

Within an hour of posting the above, we had an update... not sure if that was pure coincidence or a result of this posting. My son said he had (without telling me) chatted with DJI again yesterday and requested the return (again). It appears perhaps the combination of the two may have resulted in movement. We haven't received a tracking number yet, but hoping to see that today or tomorrow.
2017-2-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

WBN3 Posted at 2017-2-8 11:44
Within an hour of posting the above, we had an update... not sure if that was pure coincidence or a result of this posting. My son said he had (without telling me) chatted with DJI again yesterday and requested the return (again). It appears perhaps the combination of the two may have resulted in movement. We haven't received a tracking number yet, but hoping to see that today or tomorrow.

It's shipped out, hope you could receive it soon.
Very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-2-9
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-9 02:58
It's shipped out, hope you could receive it soon.
Very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We have the shipping number and will watch for the package. Thanks for the help.
2017-2-10
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

Why would you decline service ? Its useless until you have it repaired. From everything I read, it sounds like pilot error. Even if there was an error with the drone, your son was flying without line of sight, and near an airport. When you don't obey the rules and something goes wrong, you have to take some blame.
2017-2-12
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

WBN3 Posted at 2017-1-26 11:35

"There is obviously something about crossing the boundary into the authorized flight zone that caused something unexpected."

No it was not unexpected. You flew into a restricted zone.  The DJI software functioned as it should.
It brought your drone to the max flight level allowed.  What is so hard to understand about that?

RTH settings will not override no fly zone restrictions. If it did DJI would be facing lawsuits should you crash into air traffic.
2017-2-12
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

It seems pretty clear the issue relates to a restricted area near an airport. Like Maxxgold, I'm puzzled why service is being refused. The drone is repairable and for a reasonable price. A couple hours service, some parts and a new battery and it could be flying again.
2017-2-12
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-2-12 07:10
Why would you decline service ? Its useless until you have it repaired. From everything I read, it sounds like pilot error. Even if there was an error with the drone, your son was flying without line of sight, and near an airport. When you don't obey the rules and something goes wrong, you have to take some blame.

You need to re-read my post. The drone was completely functional, and we only declined service because it was superficial cosmetic damage, parts costing WAY less than the labor. We needed to save the money for buying a new battery. As far as the "getting what he deserves" attitude, that's short-sighted. Yes, there is a clear learning opportunity for my son. However, the behavior of the drone was unexpected and unexplained. The recent issues with the Android version of DJI Go which had unexplained fly-aways makes it clear that the app and flight control systems aren't flawless. This situation seems to have been a glitch in the control system, and even if the bird had been in VLOS, I don't know if he could've saved it.
2017-2-15
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

Just to close out this thread - my son has successfully flown the P4 since we received it back. The only issue we had was the battery which was ruined when it fell into the ditch. There were no performance issues with the drone at all.

As to the cause of the incident, I am going to presume it had to do with the control system not being up-to-date. When I connected to DJI Assistant, it needed to be updated on firmware, as did the remote control. At the time of the incident (Dec. 2016), the bird had V01.02.0503 (where latest was V01.02.0602 - Nov. 2016 release) and the RC had 1.6.0 (where latest was 1.8.0 - Oct. 2016 release). I don't know if either or both of these factored into the unexpected behavior, but we have learned from the experience.

1. Always verify the firmware is up-to-date
2. Always maintain VLOS
3. Always stay away from flight region boundaries where drift or GPS issues could trick the system into thinking it was somewhere it wasn't supposed to be
2017-4-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WBN3 Posted at 2017-4-2 15:30
Just to close out this thread - my son has successfully flown the P4 since we received it back. The only issue we had was the battery which was ruined when it fell into the ditch. There were no performance issues with the drone at all.

As to the cause of the incident, I am going to presume it had to do with the control system not being up-to-date. When I connected to DJI Assistant, it needed to be updated on firmware, as did the remote control. At the time of the incident (Dec. 2016), the bird had V01.02.0503 (where latest was V01.02.0602 - Nov. 2016 release) and the RC had 1.6.0 (where latest was 1.8.0 - Oct. 2016 release). I don't know if either or both of these factored into the unexpected behavior, but we have learned from the experience.

I don't think agree that it is necessary to be up-to-date with firmware at all times. Nor do I think it had anytrhing to do with what happened, otherwise there would be literally thousands of aircraft crashing during the period that the firmware was current. As to updating, with the poor record that DJI has of testing new firmware updates, I don't update at all, and my aircraft is flying perfectly on firmware that is nearly two years old.

2017-4-2
Use props
WBN3
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-2 15:47
I don't think agree that it is necessary to be up-to-date with firmware at all times. Nor do I think it had anytrhing to do with what happened, otherwise there would be literally thousands of aircraft crashing during the period that the firmware was current. As to updating, with the poor record that DJI has of testing new firmware updates, I don't update at all, and my aircraft is flying perfectly on firmware that is nearly two years old.

Very valid points... when I first started buying computers, I just kept what was installed (in the '90's, before the age of bloatware) and never updated or installed much new. Those computers remained stable until a part failed... I guess in this day of connectivity, I have become accustomed to keeping everything up-to-date.
2017-4-2
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I think DJI's explanation was clear.  Your son went into the NFZ or hit a geo-fenced Restricted Area wall and their software forces it to land there immediately.  It doesn't turn around and fly back home, it just lands and NOW!

There was someone else in the PhantomPilot's forum where the same thing happened to his and it landed immediately upon hitting the NFZ wall.  He was thinking a lawsuit might erupt had it landed on a freeway and caused an accident, but his cleared that.  It's just DJI's way and not what seems the best way out which might be to follow the bread crumbs back home.

I'm not crazy about the way it is implemented, but in case it is a NFZ, say with a wildfire with aerial tankers, spotters, and chopper water-droppers, then getting it down is paramount to letting it continue to fly up there or going off to wherever.

As to the battery popping out, if it is coming down and it hits a limb, the flimsy thin plastic case's arm can bow enough where the latch will not catch on the shell and out comes the heavy battery.

2017-4-2
Use props
fans41779ada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1700968 ft
United States

Don't forget per their documentation, if you are within 1 mile of the "warning zone" (100m from the NFZ) the maximum altitude increases from 66ft (at the edge of the "warning zone") to the full 500m at 1 mile from the warning zone.  If RTH is activated within the 1 mile "altitude ramp" from the warning zone, it won't ascend to its programs RTH altitude, but will be limited by position on the 1 mile 66ft to 500m max altitude ramp.  If close to the warning zone it couldn't come close to where your son had it programmed.  As it moved closer to home --I'm thinking that's what it should do -- it should increase altitude based on the 1 mile max altitude ramp, and stop when it hits the programmed RTH altitude.  If RTH was hit close to the warning zone, the altitude it's allowed to ascend to could easily be way below tree level.  Then as it increases altitude as it moves up the ramp, it could collide with overhanging branches.  This sounds like it's what DJI was referring to.
2017-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules