724 5 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

Hi,

I´m planning to get an android tablet for flying my I2.

My favorite tablet choice doesn´t have a sim card slot so I wouldn´t be able to have internet when I´m outdoors.

Is there any reason FOR HAVING internet on the smart device?
Any reason why the DJI Go App (or DJI Ground Station) should connect to the internet?
For maps for example?
(also including other 3rd party apps you may know)

Just trying to avoid expensive mistakes and I can´t really judge because I never used the tablet functions.

Thanks guys!

2017-1-25
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Hi joejoe, You had better be very, very careful here. #1 Make SURE  that the android device you love is even supported for the I2 !!!!!!!!!! #2 Follow the instructions that came with your new I2. I don't see a need to have internet connection, unless you plan on "live streaming".  And you should be able to "cach maps in the background" look it up. Ken.  
2017-1-25
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

It is not essential but as Ken says, live streaming would need a data or wifi connection (it's not that great, bit of a gimmick really) and it would be wise to cache the map area you intend to fly, before you leave home, whilst you have data/wifi. Other than that, I can't think of a reason to have a data connection.
What was the tablet you had in mind?

Mark G.
2017-1-26
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

Thanks so far!

I ordered an Acer Iconia One 8 and an Nvidia Shield K1 to see what fits me best.

I don´t need livestreaming, but I never tried to cache the map area I´m planning to fly in. Gonna check that out - I thought it someone gets the surrounding maps once start the app with an internet connection.
2017-1-26
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

joejoe Posted at 2017-1-26 05:14
Thanks so far!

I ordered an Acer Iconia One 8 and an Nvidia Shield K1 to see what fits me best.
Joe Joe ,
Just throwing this out there , If you could get an I pad pro you will not be disappointed, the DJI systems have the least amount of Lag and are programmed with the Apple products in mind.  I'm not saying other approved products wont work , just these In my opinion are the best .

I pad pro with GPS.  This way you can use the follow me mode as well, the GPS and cell feature are not that much more .

I love mine and have never had a problem .

Just a suggestion

donnie
2017-1-26
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

Thanks Donnie.
The Shield K1´s CPU is as fast as the Ipad Pro ones for the fraction of the price and I´m really curious to see how it´s gonna perform!
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules