Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Color Matching
1759 5 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

I'm wondering if anyone has any techniques for white balance matching between a P4 and video camera.

Most of my videos are shot on a sony pxw-z150.  I use a phantom 4 and in some circumstances an osmo set to auto wb.  On my sony I use a white balance card which is fantastic and works great.  Matching up the footage from the drone and osmo requires a lot of work in post.  It would be great to be able to set the white balance with a card and have it stay fixed at that setting.

Has anyone else figured out a workaround or have another technique for matching wb from different sources?

2017-1-25
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

As far as I know, the only way to set white balance manually is to set its temperature on the Phantom. I am guessing that if you match the temperatures that will be as close as you can get. I may be wrong tho and there is a better way that I don't know about.
2017-1-25
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

The only way you can really do this is with a light/colour meter.  You can get iPhone apps and the like that will give you a spot or incident colour temp and green/magenta tint, you can then use those settings across whatever camera you use although how well calibrated the DJI cameras are I don't know.
2017-1-25
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

thanks for the feedback.  I was trying to avoid light meters and such as I really don't understand how it works and was being lazy and trying to avoid learning something new.  The DJI color calibration isn't the same as high end video cameras.. or even their own products for that matter.  For example if I set WB on the video camera to 5600K and also set the phantom and osmo to 5600K, it won't be a match.  There will even be a difference between the phantom and osmo.  
2017-1-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I also get a color shift just with the ND filters which shouldn't change color, but they do.  I also own a Sekonic color temperature meter which gets me into close agreement, but adding filters with a color cast are another matter.  Sometimes a ColorChecker card included someplace helps in post color grading to balance.  Ain't always easy or that straightforward.
2017-1-26
Use props
Odan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

If you need something fast....just take the props off the drone and use it like a handheld.  Dumb but works  
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules