12Next >
3277 51 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
McCrimmon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1988 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a DJI Phantom 3 Standard (my first real drone), which arrived this  afternoon.  

I got it all configured, activated, tutorials watched  etc.  I performed 4 very simple flights in the field infront of my  house.  Very basic maneuvers and utilzing the return to home function to  land the drone.  All of this happening in beginners mode.  

On my final  flight when I pressed the return to home button the drone started to  ascend then changed direction and flew away over the houses into the  horizon.  The drone quickly dropped signal with the receiver and i've  never seen it since after hours of searching in the dark.  

How the hell  can this happen?  I have had the drone for 20 minutes!!!

From looking at the flight data on my phone, I can see that the home position changes for no reason to a beach miles away from my house.

I need answers and resolution asap DJI!  I did not pay £500 for 20 minutes performing basic moves in a field infront of my house!

2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please post the flight LOG.
Visit www.phantomhelp.com for instructions.

As well www.healthydrones.com

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
fans14e29af9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2102513 ft
United States

DJI GO 3.1.2 app issue on Android, HERE maps show Home point 1+ km west of actual home point, needs immediate fix
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/U4VAQX3WPFO0PNNNACBE/
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.healthydrones.com/mai ... _id=GENERALOverview
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-25 15:31
How many miles is the beach away and how much battery % did you have left?  It may have landed at the beach or on the way.  Someone can probably figure out roughly how far it got if you post the logs to the link RedHotPoker posted.

Have posted the flight logs.  I've searched for hours to try and locate close to the "changed" home location, however, its pitch black and have had no luck at all.

The location looks very close to the sea so IF it did make it there then i would say the chances are that its in the sea.
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans14e29af9 Posted at 2017-1-25 15:26
DJI GO 3.1.2 app issue on Android, HERE maps show Home point 1+ KM east of actual home point, needs immediate fix

Any idea what DJI are doing about this?  Surely this is not right!  
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Please visit www.healthydrones.com and post the flight LOG back here.
As well http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
fans15d28fbb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122438 ft
Canada

Sad thing DJI has done nothing and the evil app is still available so sad
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

@AlecW, Yeah, thanks bud, I was interrupted, wiping up tears.
Mary Tyler Moore passed away today, she was 80...
Feeling pretty sad, moist eyed too. ;-)

Have a great day. . .

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-25 15:41
Looks like you had about 30% battery left when it lost connection.  Beginner mode is slow so I doubt it got far before it hit 10% and auto landed.  Looking at the map it's probably in someone's backyard unfortunately.  I'm not good at logs, someone else may be able to calculate something close.  RedHotPoker's link is a better log site than healthydrones and has more data available.

Your drone could be sitting somewhere with nothing wrong with it.  Other than the bug that's causing these issues recently.

Thanks for the response.

What is the bug?  That the location just automatically changes?  

As I said, I was literally doing very basic forward, back and up and down movements.  I had executed 3 similar flights beforehand utilizing the return to home function.  The final flight it just seemed to go AWOL and was up and over the houses in no time setting in immediate panic.

I'll certainly continue the search, however, with my lack of experience and knowledge it feels like a search similar to MH370.  Where do I even start?  Hopefully some of the smart bods will be able to provide some guidance.
2017-1-25
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

McCrimmon Posted at 2017-1-25 15:50
Thanks for the response.

What is the bug?  That the location just automatically changes?  

Did you have your name, phone number or FAA number on the air craft?   
Hope you locate it and all is well.
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The new home location was approximately here.

2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

WD9EON Posted at 2017-1-25 16:15
Did you have your name, phone number or FAA number on the air craft?   
Hope you locate it and all is well.

Unfortunately not.

I was simply doing some basic moves outside my house to see what it was all about.  It was always within close distance to me.  The last thing i expected was it to go awol on me.
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-25 16:02
That is sad and made me think of these lyrics.  Yeah I'm odd ;)

Oo-ee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly

Yes, you are.. Haha

I was such a fan of hers, I can't even tell you... It's sad to learn of this news today.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Another good reason not to rely on RTH for routine flying.  Sorry you lost your drone but have hopes for you to find it in the morning along that line.  Did you try to cancel RTH right away?
2017-1-25
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

It is  a shame that DJI does not stop the 3.1.2 app !
HOW LONG WILL THEY WAIT TO ACT?
Your drone landed most likely as shown on the map. If the waves did not catch it it should be still there. Landing point is almost accurate.
Mine also landed about 1km NNW.

2017-1-25
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

oops, mistake: should read WNW not NNW
2017-1-25
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

This is insane that so many people are reporting this bug, yet the only response seems to be "thank you for reporting it, please post your flight log and our technical department will look into it".
There should be a forced update to the previous version immediately. I wonder what the deal is going to be if this issue causes someone drone to create a fatal accident, with DJI knowing that this issue exists? I hope they have deep pockets.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Australia

McCrimmon Posted at 2017-1-25 16:22
Unfortunately not.

I was simply doing some basic moves outside my house to see what it was all about.  It was always within close distance to me.  The last thing i expected was it to go awol on me.

The first thing I did was put a little sticker with return details. Hopefully never have to use it though.
I meant to ask McCrimmon....you're using Android yeah?
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJ Nee Posted at 2017-1-25 17:06
The first thing I did was put a little sticker with return details. Hopefully never have to use it though.
I meant to ask McCrimmon....you're using Android yeah?

Yes
Android on a Samsung S7 edge
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

formentera Posted at 2017-1-25 16:50
It is  a shame that DJI does not stop the 3.1.2 app !
HOW LONG WILL THEY WAIT TO ACT?
Your drone landed most likely as shown on the map. If the waves did not catch it it should be still there. Landing point is almost accurate.

How sure are you that it would have reached the beach given the battery percentsge?

If its foubd its way there then its most definently gone and taken by the north sea.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-25 17:12
I agree but people tend to overreact and say things like fatal accident or bringing down a 747.  I know that's possible but it's crazy odds and I expect DJI have insurance.  

Let them figure it out, a knee jerk reaction after the horse has left the stable won't help anyone.

Yeah I guess. So what's the situation with this guys drone then? If the app is deemed to be at fault does he get a new drone then? I'm really new myself, so I'm not sure how it all works, but if I'd lost my new drone after 15 minutes I'd be spewing..
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

McCrimmon Posted at 2017-1-25 17:15
How sure are you that it would have reached the beach given the battery percentsge?

If its foubd its way there then its most definently gone and taken by the north sea.

Eh, it was bad luck, but don't be so negative. Think positively, even in the darkest hour.
I have empathy with your lost drone, but you might still get it back, so please go look for it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, and wishing you all the good luck you deserve. Ok?

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

The flight to the beach should have taken about 105 seconds at 25.1 mph from connection lost point 55.95317068  -2.98824685.
That should be possible in my opinion with 17% (27% -10% reserve)

2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJ Nee Posted at 2017-1-25 17:16
Yeah I guess. So what's the situation with this guys drone then? If the app is deemed to be at fault does he get a new drone then? I'm really new myself, so I'm not sure how it all works, but if I'd lost my new drone after 15 minutes I'd be spewing..

I am! I've thought about getting one for months. Finally bit the bullet last night and got next day delivery.

Was blown away by it after a few mins flying and then it decided it no longer liked me and disappeared back to a home locstion, which only the DJI aop can explain.

They better refund or rellace. No two ways about it - ill be taking it further if they dont.
2017-1-25
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

I think if it is low tide in your area it should be at top of  the beach
2017-1-25
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

then it might be to late.
2017-1-25
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

formentera Posted at 2017-1-25 17:24
The flight to the beach should have taken about 105 seconds at 25.1 mph from connection lost point 55.95317068  -2.98824685.
That should be possible in my opinion with 17% (27% -10% reserve)

Thanks
Will resume the search when at sunlight.
2017-1-25
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Hi mate, I had the same issue, the drone set a home point 200 meters away from where I was!

I posted in this thread  and you will see my flight logs http://forum.dji.com/thread-81916-1-1.html . Another thing to remember is that I had to go through 4 logs to actually find out where it landed. The last log gave me where it landed and it was on the roof of somebody house! I was superlucky because I literally surrounded by water and it couldn't have landed in the water.

The great new I was able to retrieve it and won't fly again until DJI releases an official statement!
2017-1-25
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

wow, this is all crazy .. random RTH locations .. its like hide and seek .. I use an iPhone and am fully updated both on the P3S and the Go app.  I flew 4-5 separate flights this past weekend, all in the same day, in the span of 2 hours.  RTH initiated once due to low battery, but it was close, and it landed where it was supposed to.  I didn't know about this issue then and will be much more cautious, diligently, either canceling RTH if its initated or just keeping it close at low battery and manually landing.

Are all the lost drone folks using Android?  Has this happened to anyone using an iPhone?
2017-1-25
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

McCrimmon Posted at 2017-1-25 15:34
Any idea what DJI are doing about this?  Surely this is not right!

Check out the 3.1.2 app reviews on Google play. Lots are giving this psycho app 3 stars while complaining loudly about crashing, video lag, fly aways , bogus home points, etc, etc.   
2017-1-25
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Australia

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-25 20:54
wow, this is all crazy .. random RTH locations .. its like hide and seek .. I use an iPhone and am fully updated both on the P3S and the Go app.  I flew 4-5 separate flights this past weekend, all in the same day, in the span of 2 hours.  RTH initiated once due to low battery, but it was close, and it landed where it was supposed to.  I didn't know about this issue then and will be much more cautious, diligently, either canceling RTH if its initated or just keeping it close at low battery and manually landing.

Are all the lost drone folks using Android?  Has this happened to anyone using an iPhone?

I've been following most of the threads regarding this and have yet to hear about this issue with iOS.
2017-1-25
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

I've had one flyaway but I think that was my error BUT I MUST put my phone number on it!
I am not suggesting this is what happened, but assuming the default password hasn't been changed what stops someone else hijacking it?
2017-1-26
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

I have used both Android and iOS devices.

In my experience, my iPad (Wifi + 3G) always correctly identify its own GPS position ("H" on the App), as well as the Drone Take off position.

When I use my LG Phone (which isn't officially supported), the Drone take off position is usually good, while the Operator GPS position ("H") may be wrong by quite a lot.

When I use my LG Phone, and I voluntarily trigger the RTH, sometimes it tells me that the Home Position (aka what my Phone GPS module says it's my current position) has been changed, and it asks me if I want the RTH to be set to the Drone Take off position or to the new Home Point position.

The feature is meant to let you get the drone back to you even when your position changes (i.e. when you're on a boat!), but you can guess what can go wrong with it! If your phone GPS isn't that reliable, it may have the drone go awry on you :-/

2017-1-26
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

fans22aa3cea Posted at 2017-1-26 00:38
I have used both Android and iOS devices.

In my experience, my iPad (Wifi + 3G) always correctly identify its own GPS position ("H" on the App), as well as the Drone Take off position.

"If your phone GPS isn't that reliable, it may have...."
This is wrong ! The gps of the android phones/tablets is absolutely ok  what can be easily proofed by checking android phones/tablets position on google maps or navigator.
It is the app that is faulty.
solentlife did a hell lot of tests with  interesting results, check it out,
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D395%26typeid%3D395
2017-1-26
Use props
McCrimmon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So the search throughout the night and this morning has returned nothing.

If it made it to the beach its no doubt out in the sea.

Absolutely sick to the stomach!

DJI - I WANT ANSWERS!
2017-1-26
Use props
fans22aa3cea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

formentera Posted at 2017-1-26 01:12
"If your phone GPS isn't that reliable, it may have...."
This is wrong ! The gps of the android phones/tablets is absolutely ok  what can be easily proofed by checking android phones/tablets position on google maps or navigator.
It is the app that is faulty.

doesn't matter, if you're using a non-supported device
2017-1-26
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Did you also walk the way from lost signal to assumed landing point in a straight line - in case the battery did not make up to the end ?

The only question that is left for me is HOW the app triggers the new homepoint setting. You always find new "Homepoint recorded" in conjunction  with "maximum flight distance reached. adjust distance settings in MC settings if required". But this is something only DJI could tell us - if they ever will...

2017-1-26
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

This is just negligent of DJI, my thread and other threads have demonstrated the RTH glitch in 3.1.2 since it's release but DJI still refuse to pull it from the Google PlayStore. If I was the OP I would be making waves with DJI now knowing this app has been demonstrated as being suspect for over 8 days now, with NO action from DJI. If they refuse to reimburse or supply a NIB P3S I would be straight down to the Trading Standards local office.
2017-1-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules