Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ND filters are definately necessary!
4144 48 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

puredata Posted at 2017-2-7 07:23
Any workflow to do those in Final Cut Pro X?

I don't know as I don't use FCP. The ones I have used are in Adobe After Effects. I imagine that FCP would have something since it is a common high-end editing suite.
2017-2-9
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Fredrick I always find your videos informative and well presented... I would just say one thing re Motion Blurr. There are times when you would like each frame to be sharp and crisp. I do a lot of "Inspection" type videos... and the engineers like to freeze the video at certain spots and grab a frame to print... Just my 2¢
2017-4-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PunaPhantom Posted at 2017-4-24 12:46
Thanks Fredrick I always find your videos informative and well presented... I would just say one thing re Motion Blurr. There are times when you would like each frame to be sharp and crisp. I do a lot of "Inspection" type videos... and the engineers like to freeze the video at certain spots and grab a frame to print... Just my 2¢

In that scenario, you would be better off taking still shots, if resolution is important. A still shot has far more resolution than a frame grab from video.
2017-4-24
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-24 15:43
In that scenario, you would be better off taking still shots, if resolution is important. A still shot has far more resolution than a frame grab from video.

Undoubtedly - and I do take stills, however as you are flying over the target they may spot something that they hadn't previously intended to check... so a decent frame grab is nice to have - and may warrant further investigation (another flight...)
2017-4-27
Use props
ezDrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

I bought a nd8 for sunny days. When its cloudy do I need a nd ever? I got the p4pro
2017-4-27
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ezDrew Posted at 2017-4-27 18:02
I bought a nd8 for sunny days. When its cloudy do I need a nd ever? I got the p4pro

The answer to that is in your histogram. If you can get a decent balance at the shutter speed you are shooting with at the aperture you want then no.
2017-8-18
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

EXCEPTIONS TO THIS CLAIM "ND filters are necessary"
Having worked in post production for years, I can truly say that I have spent a good portion of my video productions shooting without ND filters.  Modern editing software that comes with most computers now has the ability to mold and shape the color and tone of your project in any way you want.   Granted, having a filter will take you half way to where you want your post production image to be, but ND Filters DO NOT do the complete job by themselves.
Recently as a package with my P4P I was given three ND filters and I installed one after the first set of video takes were viewed without the filter.  Indeed, the color was more refined with the filter clips, however when I edited them together, the videos without the filter were able to be adjusted in post production to match the color and contrast of the ones shot with the filter.  I do think the filters do take out some of the adjusting by the software and iris while filming, and that is great.  However to say suggest "must have" to a generation who have a firm grasp on doing their own post production editing, sounds more like an advertising slam on the customers' minds.  "YOU MUST have this... or you aren't keeping up with the Jones'.  With all due respect to the post, I appreciate the opinion, however I think the tone of the message might appeal to those who camp out all night to be first in line for the new iPhone as opposed to the rest of us.
Furthermore, there are more reasons why your video wasn't correct.  Apature, iris setting, and several other photography 101 setting contribute to the factor of color, clarity and image in any given video shoot.  The ND filter isn't a quick fix to having a basic understanding of light and composition, and the various aspects of your camera that all adjust to make a photo capture what the camera operator was projecting to capture.
2017-8-18
Use props
Frederick Hagan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-18 18:02
EXCEPTIONS TO THIS CLAIM "ND filters are necessary"
Having worked in post production for years, I can truly say that I have spent a good portion of my video productions shooting without ND filters.  Modern editing software that comes with most computers now has the ability to mold and shape the color and tone of your project in any way you want.   Granted, having a filter will take you half way to where you want your post production image to be, but ND Filters DO NOT do the complete job by themselves.
Recently as a package with my P4P I was given three ND filters and I installed one after the first set of video takes were viewed without the filter.  Indeed, the color was more refined with the filter clips, however when I edited them together, the videos without the filter were able to be adjusted in post production to match the color and contrast of the ones shot with the filter.  I do think the filters do take out some of the adjusting by the software and iris while filming, and that is great.  However to say suggest "must have" to a generation who have a firm grasp on doing their own post production editing, sounds more like an advertising slam on the customers' minds.  "YOU MUST have this... or you aren't keeping up with the Jones'.  With all due respect to the post, I appreciate the opinion, however I think the tone of the message might appeal to those who camp out all night to be first in line for the new iPhone as opposed to the rest of us.

Ahhhh. You've missed the point. ND filters are a necessity for true cinematic video. Canon C300, RED Epic, DLSR, Drone cameras....doesn't matter. Why? True cinematic motion blur by keeping your shutter speed at half the frame rate...and still properly exposed. It's a common mistake for those just now getting into shooting. Don't trust me...Google it. If you'd been working in PREproduction for years vs. post....this universally accepted rule of thumb for proper video capture wouldn't now be a 101 lesson...for you. It's a matter of opinion and you can always choose to continue to disagree with 99.9% of the professional shooting population.
2017-8-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Frederick Hagan Posted at 2017-8-22 08:04
Ahhhh. You've missed the point. ND filters are a necessity for true cinematic video. Canon C300, RED Epic, DLSR, Drone cameras....doesn't matter. Why? True cinematic motion blur by keeping your shutter speed at half the frame rate...and still properly exposed. It's a common mistake for those just now getting into shooting. Don't trust me...Google it. If you'd been working in PREproduction for years vs. post....this universally accepted rule of thumb for proper video capture wouldn't now be a 101 lesson...for you. It's a matter of opinion and you can always choose to continue to disagree with 99.9% of the professioanl shooting population.

O.k. you put me in my place.  I'm sorry that you don't accept other people who have trained at a professional A/V school and spent over 15 years in the industry   I was merely stating that there are other ways of obtaining the same final product, thus eliminating the word "necessity".  99.9% of professional shooting population?  Are you referring to those who's resumes include DGA credits working for Universal Studios and Walt Disney Entertainment?  Please don't be insulting.  This is suppose to be an unbiased, and judgement-free of those who's comments may be that of different opinion than your own.  Try to be more respectful in the future.
2017-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules