Adjustable f-stop is fantastic as well as important!
1235 11 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frederick Hagan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Another great informative video Frederick, thanks for putting this together.

Have a nice evening. :-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Frederick Hagan
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-25 20:16
Another great informative video Frederick, thanks for putting this together.

Have a nice evening. :-)

My pleasure RHP.
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Gosh, I just replied to one if your other posts here. Yes, thank you.

Keep it up. Most educational... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This is nowhere near as important as you might think and is more of theoretical interest than of practical use.
This is misleading because almost no-one is going to be using an aerial camera to shooting with important foreground elements 1-2 metres from the camera like that clock.
Like all wide angle lenses, the lens on the P4 pro has a large depth of field regardless of the aperture used.

Look at the numbers and it's clear that at the kind of focus distances that will be used by operators of the P4 pro, even at full open (f2.8) everything will be in focus unless you want to focus on something closer than 5 metres.

DOF.jpg
2017-1-25
Use props
Frederick Hagan
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-25 20:46
This is nowhere near as important as you might think and is more of theoritical interest than of practical use.
This is misleading because almost no-one is going to be using an aerial camera to shooting with important foreground elements 1-2 metres from the camera like that clock.
Like all wide angle lenses, the lens on the P4 pro has a large depth of field regardless of the aperture used.

Ditto this. All of it.
2017-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How's that?

The lens has a truckload of depth of field at any aperture at the kind of distances for which it will be used.
Unless you want to compose photos with foreground elements 1-2 metres away and keep the background in focus, DOF is not something you need to worry about with this lens.
2017-1-25
Use props
Donnz
New

New Zealand

Hello, I am new here, and very new to drones. However, I am not new to photography, I have been doing it for a living since 1974.
The question of depth of field and f.stop are never easy to answer, but there are some principles.
When the lens is designed, these days usually by a computer, the designer and maker try to achieve a series of pieces of glass that will work together to cover a range of uses. However, it is almost impossible to get glass to work over all ranges, so the designer tries to get at least one bit of the combination working perfectly. This bit of the lens is usually right in the middle. The rest of the glass in the lens is there just to hold in place the perfect bit. So by raising the f.stop value, you close the lens down so it is using more of the perfect bit, and less of the rest of the glass.
If the P4p did not have this feature, I would not have bought it. It is one of the basics of photography. I have been waiting awhile.
What I do is set my camera on 100asa, set Apature priority say f5.6, lift the drone up so the camera is looking at the ground, and set the f.stop so that the shutter is going to go off at less than 800th. Digital produce better results at a slower speed, like Fuji Reala film, if anyone remembers it. I am using the camera as a light meter, and setting accordingly. This means I am forcing the lens to use that part closest to it's centre, the best bit. I do it with my D700, D800, D300, D200, F8, F4, F606, FM, and so on. I have a reputation for getting sharp photos. Try it.
2017-1-31
Use props
Propwash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

As usual nice presentation Fredrick
2017-1-31
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-25 20:52
How's that?

The lens has a truckload of depth of field at any aperture at the kind of distances for which it will be used.

I believe he was agreeing with you.
2017-1-31
Use props
Frederick Hagan
lvl.4
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-1-31 08:16
I believe he was agreeing with you.

Ditto this too.
2017-1-31
Use props