Stress crack
1302 15 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans167f7396
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22953 ft
United Kingdom

I have one small stress crack on my lightly used P3S. Bought in November but not used much due to weather and no crashes or hard landings. Should I be concerned? Best course of action?
2017-1-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have same on one leg under side of motor ..... I will dremel out the crack on mine and epoxy. I could fit my prop guards which are screwed with plates - but then it won't fit my bag.

Nigel
2017-1-26
Use props
fans167f7396
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22953 ft
United Kingdom

Been researching and I think I'll add the reinforcement plates.
2017-1-26
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Before you add the plates, drill the end of the crack with a .5mm to stop it migrating. Fill the drill hole with a drop of superglue and a dab of baking soda.
2017-1-26
Use props
ARMONI319
lvl.2

United States

Hello,
These cracks have a tendency to grow. IMHO there are two things you can do if you're out warranty and don't want to replace the shell.  If you don't want to open the shell, apply a very small amount of Weld- on # 4.  After cleaning with alcohol. Let it dry before applying Weld-on. This stuff is amazing. It seeps right into the crack melting the plastic and filling the crack  just like welding. You just need a very small amount. I use a mini cotton swab such as the ones for makeup detailing. If you are willing to open the shell, apply Plast-aid from the inside. Plast- aid will not fill the cracks but  will become part of the base material. I combine both for the best possible repair. Remember to inspect your AC after every flight. I've got  very good results with this method.  Hope this helps.
2017-1-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

A very light way to mend as well is PU glue that sticks like **** to a blanket ... it foams and expands into every crevice ... once cured - you can cut / sand to shape. But its light brown colour ! And takes overnight to cure ...

Nigel
2017-1-26
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

if under warranty send it in..the plates are an option..My craft was replaced for same issue. I believe just flying the P3S series hard can crack the arms..cheers D
2017-1-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I have PU'd mine ... but also ordered the plates as a final measure.

Nigel
2017-1-26
Use props
Rosomak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1543179 ft
Poland

HI there, I have this problem too. I got two near engine cracks, after about one hour of flights on my P3P. Now I wrote ticket to the support and I'm going to send my drone to the service. I know it might happen after several hours of using, but not after one....
2017-1-26
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Rosomak Posted at 2017-1-26 13:08
HI there, I have this problem too. I got two near engine cracks, after about one hour of flights on my P3P. Now I wrote ticket to the support and I'm going to send my drone to the service. I know it might happen after several hours of using, but not after one....

I have used the Weld-4 solvent to fix several Phantoms. This stuff does work very well, and you don't have to take anything apart.
2017-1-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Hard plastic solvent is MAK .... used by the plastic model people. You can actually take a small amount if it and dissolve plastic in it to create a paste for joints / cracks.

You could even use plastic model cement - that also has a solvent in it to dissolve the joint plastic to weld together.

Nigel
2017-1-27
Use props
Rosomak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1543179 ft
Poland

Alright, it's kind of solution, but I expected a little bit more from that drone. It might happen in some 100 € no name construction from Tesco, not in drone 8x more expensive, signed by one of the biggest UAS company in the world imao.
2017-1-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Totally agree ....... its not a good design if it cracks so easily.

I have a crack that runs from the joint of the two halves .. back to one motor screw and then back to another. I channeled it and then added CA .. but it wouldnt take so cleaned of and then added PU glue (often termed Gorilla Glue ... a brand name of PU) ... sprinkle of water to get it to foam and set ...

Later carved back and sanded .... seems to be holding. I only have to keep it together while waiting for the strengthening plates ..... which cost me all of $5 ....

I've also ordered a bottle of MAK .... commonly termed EMA Plastic Weld ..... this is the solvent glue that modellers use with a fine point paint brush to join their plastic models ... but as with any plastic glue - will always be brittle joint. So well worth the few grams weight of the plates.

Nigel
2017-1-27
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292297 ft
United Kingdom

If it's still under warranty I wouldn't hesitate in sending it in for repair to Dji.
I recently purchased a brand new P3P and on opening the box and inspecting noticed several cracks on the underneath of one of the motor arms, there was evidence of one screw head also being damaged from over tightening.
This P3P was brand new and had never been flown, so this was obviously damage done at the factory from over tightening one or more motor screws.
How did that ever get through the QC at the Dji factory?
I took the P3P back to the retailer who was very apologetic, to which I reminded him it was not his fault but the manufacturers.
Then I waited a week for another P3P to arrive.
So far so good.
2017-1-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I agree with Andy in his situation ... trouble is many of us buy via online retailers who are usually distant.  Given the weak design - it could be better to just bite the bullet and effect a repair oneself. I decided that even though I bought in November. Getting it back to Banggood and replacement ?

Bit of glue - add the plates and she'll go for years ...

Not only that - but I don't want a model that has possible problems as some people have found - mines an excellent flyer having setup FW and so on to get it so.

Nigel
2017-1-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

My PU glue repair is holding up nicely ... gave her some real flight stress today ...

Nigel
2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules