Claims of Inspire dropping out of the sky.
2839 13 2015-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

I have read most all of the posts about battery care, charging and capacity threshholds. All good information passed on to the pilots whom have experienced their Inspires just drop out of the sky.  So I decided to do a little testing of my own.  I have four 4500 mah batteries.  I flew with each one until I hit my 30% warning then landed and let the drone sit  on the ground props still running untill I reached 18%,  this took about 15 minutes per battery. On two of batteries when they hit right around 24% the voice on the pilot app said LANDING !!! and the props just shut off. Thats not landing thats a system failure !!! WTF

After having drained each battery to 18% all of the four batteries recarged to a full 4500 mah.  I was only getting a recharge of about 4200/4300 mah when recharging at 30 %.   I think this clearly shows a huge bug in the current firmware.
2015-2-18
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

If the bird was up and flying it'd landed , but it knew it was on the ground already .
2015-2-18
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

What was the damage to the inspire?
2015-2-18
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-19 00:28
If the bird was up and flying it'd landed , but it knew it was on the ground already .

Are you brave enough to put yours in the air and test that....... not me.  And it only did that  2 out 4 times. Does not add up to me.
2015-2-18
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

method007 Posted at 2015-2-19 01:30
What was the damage to the inspire?

I tested on the ground with props spinning.   
2015-2-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

dennis.aerialpe Posted at 2015-2-19 04:35
I tested on the ground with props spinning.

It already knew that it had landed via the Optical Flow System.  That is why the props just shut down.
2015-2-19
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I own 5 tb48 and have tested them all in hover upto 10 percent which at that point it lands and turns off.
2015-2-19
Use props
chato1974.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own 2 TB-47 and 1 TB-48, and I fly until all my batteries down to 10% then land. How ever I fly it close (within a hundred feet or so) when it get to 20% and less. If the Inspire's on the ground during the "return to home" or "low battery" warning the props will shut off because it knows it's on the ground through it's optical flow sensors.
2015-2-19
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

dennis.aerialpe Posted at 2015-2-19 04:34
Are you brave enough to put yours in the air and test that....... not me.  And it only did that  2 ...

No problem , I always do a lot of rth, low battery rth,  range and distance test on all my birds and make sure that all my aircraft are performing properly before going too far out or up etc ... I've no fear of doing this normal flight battery test , one thing Dji should have left up to the user was setting your own low batt warning levels for rth and land , opting for the new elapsed time and distance rth or land now with a automatic feature .... How stupid , more automatic safty shit for newcomers to rc flight , Watch your battery percentages very closely is really important ! Some guys are turning the low batt rth off in settings and doing it by battery percentage , I can be out a thousand meters D and 100 meters A at 35% and return home without a problem by keeping my eye on that battery percentage. Dji please put back the ability to set our own low battery rth level percentages for this safety feature it was better the other way ! More manual user friendly , your giving the crafts to much mind of their own in some aspects !!
2015-2-21
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

I have my warnings set at 30% and 20% and have been returning to land on the 30% warning.
2015-2-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

dennis@aerialpe Posted at 2015-2-22 06:14
I have my warnings set at 30% and 20% and have been returning to land on the 30% warning.

Mine are set to that as well I always head home at 50% battery as a rule not trusting the specs from the manufacturer. I have a feeling a lot of the faults as of late are the battery and firmware interaction as the battery is always the weakest link.
2015-2-22
Use props
stefan.intarq
New

Chile

Saved   As the Mather fact you could change the value of 30%  and the 10% when starts descending wherever it is. In the advanced mode.

That 10 should last to put it down from 500m.  But it should be able to squeeze it more in case of emergency.

I was doing a fly away test,  I toke it to 500 M high then flow it away up tu 2,6 km , 1.62 miles,  then as I was still pushing it away with not bad camera reception, at exactly 51% it started automatically go home function,   I though well i toke it of first (500)so it will have enough to come back, but in fail safe it flew as slow as hell, so it chewed up every  drop of power and started to descend almost 600m away from me,  it was a torture to find a place to land, because it behaves  different, like drunk,  so as I could I directed it to the middle of football stadium and  lost signal when it passes the roof,    TI happens to land in the middle of a game,   I found that better than landing it there than on any street.   It toke me 7 minutes to get there  and lukily a player passed the inspire back to me.  It's all recorded.   Lesson: fly back fast,  almost all power is used to lift those pounds,  flying slowly is almost the same as fling fast, it's not a plane.  
   Then again  in other occasion I had the fail safe mode activated and could not control it to get back home, this time it felt on grass,  100 m away, but it landed hard,  so hard  the gimbal was ejected 3 m away and found cuadracopter upside down,    I think it could not determine the high right,  and as it was turned the propellers wanted to put the inspire back on his feet but the propellers Where not able as they where blocked with gras and got overheated,  too overheated.   :@   Lost 2 motors.  My reseller told me dji does not Change  motors.  

I'm sure if fail safe mode had not   intruded in my flight  it could have turned home in both cases.
2015-2-23
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

stefan.intarq Posted at 2015-2-24 12:56
Saved   As the Mather fact you could change the value of 30%  and the 10% when starts descending whe ...

"I'm sure if fail safe mode had not   intruded in my flight  it could have turned home in both cases. "

Switch to ATTI to regain control.
2015-2-23
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

I took my Inspire to the beach, and flew all the batteries down to 10% in a 10 foot hover with soft sand underneath
All check out, just a soft auto land if I cancel all warnings
2015-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules