Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is it possible to reduplicate this photo??
875 4 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RunCycle
lvl.1

United States

20 years ago , my parents got a knock on their door with someone offering to sell them a picture of their neighborhood. I think they paid about 40 dollars. They loved it. ( this picture included below)

Apparently it was taken from either a hot air balloon or plane.

My idea was to travel back to that area-- lots has changed since them- and take the same picture, in the same location with the same height... to make a sort of THEN/ NOW picture for them and give it to them as a present..

My question is this:

1) is there any way to tell from this picture what the relative height this picture was shot at ? I feel like there has to be some mathematical formula to realize the height given the size of everything in that picture but I havent figured it out

2) would an x3 camera be able to duplicate this or would I need a different kind of camera/ lens ?

Maybe it's not doable but it's an idea id like to make come to reality if at all possible..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0642.JPG
2017-1-26
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

I would face the AC in the same direction.  Set the format to 4x3 (to use all of the sensor) then do a series of shots at various heights up to 400 feet, then pick the shot that works best and crop if necessary.
2017-1-27
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I don't think it would be that hard to replicate , with some trial and error and a bit of cropping I think this would be a fun project , If you could  print that photo on a transparent medium then overlay it on  a slave RC go app screen , you will surely get get dam close . That is how I would do it anyway .  Also if you know the distance of some of the objuects in the picture you could triangulate it but I think if you get the Aircraft in the air and do some guesstimating , you will come up with it . My guess the altitude  is about 400-500 feet

Have fun

donnie
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like Donnie mentioned, it would be possible to replicate to an extent with ease. Of course, you would have to play around with aspect ratios on the X3 to mimic the type of lens/camera sensor used in the original picture. If you're pretty good with geometry, then you might be able to get the precise angle, hight etc. If you were OK with math, like I was, guesstimating and a keen eye will be your friend for this one.
2017-1-27
Use props
Coigreach
Second Officer
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-27 10:34
I don't think it would be that hard to replicate , with some trial and error and a bit of cropping I think this would be a fun project , If you could  print that photo on a transparent medium then overlay it on  a slave RC go app screen , you will surely get get dam close . That is how I would do it anyway .  Also if you know the distance of some of the objuects in the picture you could triangulate it but I think if you get the Aircraft in the air and do some guesstimating , you will come up with it . My guess the altitudfe is about 500 feet

Have fun

Height would be relative to sensor size vs focal length. The original photo could have been 35mm film, 6x4 ...who knows??? And the lens used???

Like suggested best to take of and slowly increase height and go backwards until you find best shot then crop to suit original image.

You will be surprised how easy it can be.
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules