Flyaways and bugs with DJI Go 4
2170 15 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

In the Google Play store the App has only 2,9 stars any many, many trouble are reported.

Flyaways, Crashes, Crashing App,.... all the stuff you don´t want to happen to your DJI.

What´s true now with the Android version? Is it stable or is it not?

I only used DJI Go on an iPhone so far and wanted to switch to Android with my I2 today,... but I´m really afraid of the potential risks (thinking of the comments & star ranging)

2017-1-27
Use props
Drone Air
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158251 ft
South Africa

First flight with brand new insipre 2 today and app crashed during flight, no video feed and black screen, fortunately it was still in sight so changed to atti mode and flew back
2017-1-28
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Drone Air, I'm glad you had the skills to get her back safely! Imagine what could have happened if you didn't have a visual on it! Great job! Ken.
2017-1-28
Use props
Drone Air
lvl.2
South Africa

Highasakite Posted at 2017-1-28 07:41
Drone Air, I'm glad you had the skills to get her back safely! Imagine what could have happened if you didn't have a visual on it!  Great job! Ken.

Problem is i now have no confidence in it and this limits you in a big way
2017-1-28
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Drone Air, have you considered uninstalling the app and reinstalling it? Ken.
2017-1-28
Use props
userf1d95a1ea1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448110 ft
United States

You probably didn't have to put it in atti mode to get it home. Losing the app usually doesn't mean a total loss of remote control. It would be best to say what device you're using too, be it Android or ios and which brand.
2017-1-28
Use props
Drone Air
lvl.2
South Africa

userf1d95a1ea1 Posted at 2017-1-28 10:10
You probably didn't have to put it in atti mode to get it home. Losing the app usually doesn't mean a total loss of remote control. It would be best to say what device you're using too, be it Android or ios and which brand.

Probably not but after hearing of flyaways with the app was not taking any chances, reinstalling app now will try again tomorrow and see if have the same Was using i-pad air 2
2017-1-28
Use props
Drone Air
lvl.2
South Africa

Highasakite Posted at 2017-1-28 09:54
Drone Air, have you considered uninstalling the app and reinstalling it? Ken.

Yap busy doing that now
2017-1-28
Use props
Drone Air
lvl.2
South Africa

Highasakite Posted at 2017-1-28 07:41
Drone Air, I'm glad you had the skills to get her back safely! Imagine what could have happened if you didn't have a visual on it!  Great job! Ken.

Thanks Ken, probably would have to hit the RTH but having heard of some flyaways of the phantom 4 pros when RTH is activated would be some nail biting stuff
2017-1-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't believe everything you read and these reviews are mainly people that do not have a lot of experience IMO. Think about all of the entry level pilots out there  just getting started with a new 999 dollar Mavic  ?@#^*  most of them have never flown a drone before.....

I have not had any trouble with the DJI GO App 4.02 and didn't write a review. I have flown my Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 without and problems. I do not own the I2 yet but have 2 Inspire 1's.  I was using my IPhone 7 and iPad mini 4 and they work great for me.

Just because the Go App crashes, it doesn't mean the Inspire 2 is out of control. The remote will still function normally.
Super happy for you and your new Inspire 2!!  Fly and enjoy that awesome aircraft  Can't wait until I get my new I2

All the best
Rich
2017-1-28
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

RichJ53, it´s about the android app, not the ios app and a vote of 2.9 is very fatal.

Also you have to put "crash of app" on one level with "crash of copter" because it´s not a given that it will come back without crashes (and that you can still handle it in a large distance without camera).

Drone Air had the crash with iOS, I didn´t have a crash on ios within my last (and only) 10-15 ios flights.
Also the android app didn´t crash during flight yet (~3 flights) but it crashed once with no connceted remote & copter.
2017-1-29
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-28 11:53
Don't believe everything you read and these reviews are mainly people that do not have a lot of experience IMO. Think about all of the entry level pilots out there  just getting started with a new 999 dollar Mavic  ?@#^*  most of them have never flown a drone before.....

I have not had any trouble with the DJI GO App 4.02 and didn't write a review. I have flown my Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 without and problems. I do not own the I2 yet but have 2 Inspire 1's.  I was using my IPhone 7 and iPad mini 4 and they work great for me.

Ditto!!  Have never had issue with the Go app.... after about 60 hours of flying the app.
2017-1-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

joejoe Posted at 2017-1-29 06:32
RichJ53, it´s about the android app, not the ios app and a vote of 2.9 is very fatal.

Also you have to put "crash of app" on one level with "crash of copter" because it´s not a given that it will come back without crashes (and that you can still handle it in a large distance without camera).

Hi Joe
I see what you are referring to and it is also important to be using one of the DJI approved devices from the list. Many Android devices do not have the correct specs to handle the DJI Go App. It seems that the Android version has always been slightly behind the iOS version however, they work on the recommended devices.

The App crashing is undesirable while flying for sure and can be rebooted or restarted if needed. Unless you are flying out of LOS you can fly the Inspire back manually or hit the RTH button on the remote in any case.  I guess it is possible, but I cannot see the Go app crashing.... causing a fly away scenario. The remote control can be used to hit the RTH button.

I can say the all of my iOS devices have been great to me so far. They can get really warm in the summer months during use and some drop out issues happen from time to time, but normally work very well.

All the best
Rich

2017-1-29
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-28 11:53

I'm with you on this one Rich. The app is completely unnecessary for safe flight, flying out of visible line of site is where the danger is introduced. Just because your machine has a 7km range does not mean it is safe to do so. Similarly, if you have a Ferrari F40 capable of 200+mph and you push it to its limits and destroy it in an accident, no point in complaining to the manufacturer.  Ferrari is not responsible for the guy who pulled out in front of you the same as DJI are not responsible if your tablet fails. If you loose your live feed for whatever reason (tablet battery dies, USB cable gets snagged, tablet gets knocked to the floor etc. etc.) it should be an inconvenience only, not a danger as you should be flying in such a manner that you don't need it.
If thrills is what you're after, shred those tyres off that F40 and fly that bird way out past that second island but when that dog runs out in front of you or jumps up to say hello (knocking your I-Pad to the floor) what you gonna do?

Be safe or be lucky dudes!

Mark G.
2017-1-29
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

The first thought I had as I began reading this thread........Never fly out of LOS!!
2017-1-29
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

I´m not saying a crash of the app can cause a flyaways. The comments stated the app causes flyaways and crashes. that´s what I wanted to verify.

For me it´s not really about flying totally out of sight. There are enough reasons even when flying responsibly.
Even in 200m distance it can be tough judging the orientation. Or sometimes you´re circling around a see-through winter tree that doesn´t affect reception and it wouldn´t be a risky maneuver at all.

Also there are situations where you don´t feel too confident about using RTH because you can not judge received satellites or whatever.
So the app should better run save ;)
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules