Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi guys

Finaly got to fly for the first time today.  Amazing bit of kit; been flying my P3 Standard for a year and the Mavic is just great by comparison.

Was messing around with the controls a lot today, getting to know them during a very low-key flight in the open countryside. I enabled the multilple flight modes option and selected 'cinematic'.  Suddenly noticed the screen was showing my landscape moving away without me doing anything; checked and I was in ATTI mode. No idea how I switched mode and worse, had no way of returning it to GPS mode.  I had 18 satellites locked, but no GPS.  Within a minute it was over 600 metres away drifting in a strong breeze, so had to manually fly back.

No matter what menu I selected, I could not change back to GPS mode; for over 15 minutes I flew in ATTI mode... Finally I decided to land. Went out again half an hour later with new battery and this time it stayed in GPS the whole time.

So did I knock a switch or was it confused?  Did enabling multiple flight mode cause this?  Didn't have any problems on the second flight...

Cheers
Ian

2017-1-27
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

What firmware version are you on? the latest?
Were you flying in sport mode just before this happened?

What used to happen in an older firmware was when flying in sport mode, the main Mavic compass would get electromagnetic interference and cause it to error. The mavic would sense and issue flick to atti mode as it couldnt read the values from the compass. This should have been fixed in the latest firmware as when this happens, it switches to the secondary compass instead.

I tend not to use sports mode now as i'm still not 100% confident the issue is resolved.
2017-1-27
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I checked via DJI Assistant 2 before I flew and it had the latest firmware, from late December.  I may have knocked it into sport mode whilst I was flying in 'cinematic' mode, as at that point I hadn't noticed the Sport Mode switch on the right of the controller.  

Ian
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-27 11:41
I checked via DJI Assistant 2 before I flew and it had the latest firmware, from late December.  I may have knocked it into sport mode whilst I was flying in 'cinematic' mode, as at that point I hadn't noticed the Sport Mode switch on the right of the controller.  

Ian

If you knocked it into Sport Mode you would have known by the increased speed and more sensitive flight controls. And anyways, Sport Mode still uses GPS.
The only way to tell fro sure is through the Assistant2 you can upload your flight log to DJI and they can analyze the flight data to see for errors.
2017-1-27
Use props
KameronaTm
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-27 12:20
If you knocked it into Sport Mode you would have known by the increased speed and more sensitive flight controls. And anyways, Sport Mode still uses GPS.
The only way to tell fro sure is through the Assistant2 you can upload your flight log to DJI and they can analyze the flight data to see for errors.

Is there an instructional video for how to upload the flight log through the software?
2017-1-27
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So am I right in thinking prolonged ATTI mode when you have more than 10 satellites fixed is an error then?  ATTI mode isn't a mode I accidentally selected myself?
2017-1-27
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-27 12:51
So am I right in thinking prolonged ATTI mode when you have more than 10 satellites fixed is an error then?  ATTI mode isn't a mode I accidentally selected myself?

switching to ATTI mode manually is a feature that is missing on the mavic many of us want to have it and it has been requested to DJI to include in some coming future upgrade of FW.
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

KameronaTm Posted at 2017-1-27 12:46
Is there an instructional video for how to upload the flight log through the software?

I will make screenshots and post in just a few.
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-27 12:51

Yes, it's an error. You cannot select to use ATTI Mode.
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-27 12:54
switching to ATTI mode manually is a feature that is missing on the mavic many of us want to have it and it has been requested to DJI to include in some coming future upgrade of FW.

It's been requested many times and for a while. It has not been added so that may mean it will not become an addition.
2017-1-27
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-27 12:59
It's been requested many times and for a while. It has not been added so that may mean it will not become an addition.

it's always to early to give up, i.e. if we don't get an official NO than we might keep asking,

have a nice weekend.
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

KameronaTm Posted at 2017-1-27 12:46

Here are screenshots.
Connect your aircraft to Assistant2 then choose Data Upload and click on confirm.
Then checkmark the flight in question and click on Report Data File.
Then from the next screen unter your info and a description of the error. ( adding the minute and second when it happens would be helpful).
Then click submit.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
2017-1-27
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you Ken. Your help is always appreciated.

Cheers
Ian
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-27 13:18

Cheers

No problem Ian, have a great weekend and congratulations on the Mavic. It truly is an amazing aircraft.
2017-1-27
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Strange I had the same problem today but I was trying Litchi for the first time so blamed that.
I also landed changed the battery and used DJI Go 4 and it was ok.
2017-1-27
Use props
harfordhawk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18668 ft
United States

Ken, if you are monitoring this thread , can you tell me about how long it takes to get feedback, once a request is made.  I uploaded a log today
of a very strange gps occurrence as well. http://forum.dji.com/thread-82519-1-1.html
2017-1-27
Use props
KameronaTm
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-27 13:16
Here are screenshots.
Connect your aircraft to Assistant2 then choose Data Upload and click on confirm.
Then checkmark the flight in question and click on Report Data File.

it won't let me upload the file.  says "invalid data"...  can i email the .dat file?
2017-1-27
Use props
harfordhawk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18668 ft
United States

KameronaTm Posted at 2017-1-27 14:28
it won't let me upload the file.  says "invalid data"...  can i email the .dat file?

i had the same problem, but mine was the phone number.. it wants a specific number so for me i just put a 1 infront of the 10 digits.. (USA)
2017-1-27
Use props
KameronaTm
lvl.2
United States

harfordhawk Posted at 2017-1-27 14:44
i had the same problem, but mine was the phone number.. it wants a specific number so for me i just put a 1 infront of the 10 digits.. (USA)

i tried that too, did you use dashes or spaces or just straight 1_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2017-1-27
Use props
KameronaTm
lvl.2
United States

KameronaTm Posted at 2017-1-27 14:47
i tried that too, did you use dashes or spaces or just straight 1_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

4th try is the charm!
2017-1-27
Use props
KameronaTm
lvl.2
United States

well... it never gave me confirmation that it uploaded but I am hopeful. got to 100% and then had a red x with a circle around it
2017-1-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

KameronaTm Posted at 2017-1-27 14:28

Try using your phone number in this format 1-111-111-1111
2017-1-27
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-27 13:18

Cheers

Did you get this problem resolved as I had this same problem again today and nearly lost it drifting towards Phone lines and this time I was only using DJI Go 4 app.
I was lucky enough to be near a large field and managed to bring it down but it was a lucky escape.
2017-1-30
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Rev Posted at 2017-1-30 12:27
Did you get this problem resolved as I had this same problem again today and nearly lost it drifting towards Phone lines and this time I was only using DJI Go 4 app.
I was lucky enough to be near a large field and managed to bring it down but it was a lucky escape.

I had already erased the SD card by the time I posted this, so had nothing to check.  I took it out 4 times over the weekend and did around 10 separate flights, all without issue.  Never once entered ATTI mode.

Tried out flying in woods, used Tripod Mode flying through the trees at 10 foot high... really amazed by the steadiness and controlability of it..
If it ever flips onto ATTI mode again, I'll get the flight logs checked.

Have to say, it's mad how fast it drifts when you're up high and in ATTI mode
2017-1-30
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-30 13:46
I had already erased the SD card by the time I posted this, so had nothing to check.  I took it out 4 times over the weekend and did around 10 separate flights, all without issue.  Never once entered ATTI mode.

Tried out flying in woods, used Tripod Mode flying through the trees at 10 foot high... really amazed by the steadiness and controlability of it..

Yes it was about 200m away in no time.
I'm a novice but didn't panic but I couldn't get it back to the home point but brought it down in a field it had drifted over.
Its possible I could of knocked it into sports mode as I use an ipad mini but that should not  cause it to go into ATTI mode.
Are the flight logs stored on the SD card as not noticed anything unless they are hidden as I haven't wiped the card yet.
2017-1-30
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I just posted about a similar experience  here , but it wasn't until read your thread that it occurred to me that I was  also in Cinematic mode when something triggered it into ATTI mode.. I wonder if there's a connection?  I also looked through the flight record and the Mavic suddenly (and oddly) switched from Cinematic (with GPS) to ATTI, but with 18-19 satellites still locked on throughout. As I was worried about losing line of sight, I forced it down and fortunately the Mavic didn't sustain any damage.
2017-1-31
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just a question?   are you all getting this issue by changing this feature [cinematic] mode in flight?   or are you changing it before arming on the ground and then getting the issue at some random time during the next flight ?
2017-1-31
Use props
eastvillager
New

United States

Actually I can't figure out how a newbie can make a new post so I'll ask here. How do I keep my drones nose forwar and how do I know. I keep seem to. E flying backwards a lot.
2017-1-31
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Flight logs dont get stored on the microSD card, they are kept on the internal memory on the main board inside the mavic (which funnily enough is a microSD card lol, but not one you can access)

The DJI Assistant pulls the logs from there.
2017-1-31
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

I completely agree.  I've had it happen on 2 different Mavics, and thankfully only once eat time.  I've never flown other drones, so I have no idea how it should behave, but it seems like when it goes into ATTI mode, it doesn't just drift, it flies away.

The first time it happened to me it was up high, so I can assume it was the wind, but the second time was just seconds after takeoff, barely 40 feet above the ground, and I immediately went higher so it didn't hit anything.  It is extremely difficult to fly in ATTI mode and I'm not sure why.  Honestly, I do believe its a bug.  Like you say, all of a sudden you have over 10 satellites, next second you have 1, and it flies itself.  Both times I fortunately didn't hit anything, and after trying to bring it back it spontaneously went back to over 10 satellites and regained GPS mode.

I would like to see DJI add the ATTI mode so that we can practise with this mode since it is necessary to be ready for it.  It happens often enough given the thousands of Mavics out there.  Perhaps the ATTI mode in the Mavic isn't as easy to fly as in other drones, and hence why they don't want it there.  Given that the drone has an IMU and compasses, I don't understand why when losing GPS, the damn thing can't try and hover a bit more gracefully.  It literally forgets how to fly when in loses GPS!  When I close my eyes, I can still stand up straight for god sakes.  Its not like I fall over all of a sudden.

In all seriousness though, since it happened twice to me on 2 different drones, I fear of when it happens again.  About the only thing you can hope for is that you are high enough to not hit anything until you get it back or it regains GPS mode.
2017-1-31
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

MikeQView Posted at 2017-1-31 15:49
Just a question?   are you all getting this issue by changing this feature [cinematic] mode in flight?   or are you changing it before arming on the ground and then getting the issue at some random time during the next flight ?

Here's the sequence for me...
1) Started the DJI GO 4 app
2) Started the RC
3) Connected the Tablet
4) GPS Mode confirmed
5) Started the Mavic
6) Take off - to about 3 metres
7) Put in Cinematic and began filming
8) at 2m35s the log shows "Weak GPS Signal", (with 19 satellites connected!) and it switches to ATTI mode

I'm now wondering if I'd thrown the switch to Sport Mode, if that might have had any effect of re-connecting to GPS mode?  I'd be interested in Ken or anyone else from DJI's thoughts here.
2017-2-1
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2017-1-31 16:38
I completely agree.  I've had it happen on 2 different Mavics, and thankfully only once eat time.  I've never flown other drones, so I have no idea how it should behave, but it seems like when it goes into ATTI mode, it doesn't just drift, it flies away.

The first time it happened to me it was up high, so I can assume it was the wind, but the second time was just seconds after takeoff, barely 40 feet above the ground, and I immediately went higher so it didn't hit anything.  It is extremely difficult to fly in ATTI mode and I'm not sure why.  Honestly, I do believe its a bug.  Like you say, all of a sudden you have over 10 satellites, next second you have 1, and it flies itself.  Both times I fortunately didn't hit anything, and after trying to bring it back it spontaneously went back to over 10 satellites and regained GPS mode.

"Like you say, all of a sudden you have over 10 satellites, next second you have 1, and it flies itself..."

The confusing thing for me was that I went from 19 satellites to ATTI mode to...19 satellites and a message on the flight log saying "Weak GPS signal".  There was no break in the flight log with the satellite connections, yet there I was in ATTI mode and it was quickly flying away.  
2017-2-1
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

GMG Posted at 2017-2-1 01:37
"Like you say, all of a sudden you have over 10 satellites, next second you have 1, and it flies itself..."

The confusing thing for me was that I went from 19 satellites to ATTI mode to...19 satellites and a message on the flight log saying "Weak GPS signal".  There was no break in the flight log with the satellite connections, yet there I was in ATTI mode and it was quickly flying away.

GMG,

Im sure you already know this.... so im not trying to teach you the basics.... but do remember, number of sats is totally different to strength of sats.  

Having 8-9 STRONG sats, is better than 19 WEAK sats. (in my opinion)

Still, strange to suddenly jump into ATTI

2017-2-1
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gibbd Posted at 2017-2-1 01:52
GMG,

Im sure you already know this.... so im not trying to teach you the basics.... but do remember, number of sats is totally different to strength of sats.  

Thought a sat lock was a sat lock?  Is there a concept of weak or strong?
2017-2-1
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MikeQView Posted at 2017-1-31 15:49

I did change to Cinematic Mode....  Might test this out a bit more....
2017-2-1
Use props
Atilla BALCI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 282080 ft
Turkey

does your all batteries up to date? did you check them
2017-2-1
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2017-2-1 02:27
Thought a sat lock was a sat lock?  Is there a concept of weak or strong?

Wellsi,

At the top of the screen in the app will be the icon showing number of GPS sats, and then some bars next to it.

The bars are the signal strength    

Not saying that's the problem necessarily, but something to bear in mind.   When you replay the flight in the app, you should be able to see what this is showing at the points where you had problems.
2017-2-1
Use props
Defender4he1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466 ft
Australia

eastvillager Posted at 2017-1-31 16:01
Actually I can't figure out how a newbie can make a new post so I'll ask here. How do I keep my drones nose forwar and how do I know. I keep seem to. E flying backwards a lot.

On the small radar screen you have an arrow  turn with left stick till the arrow points to where you want to go then right stick forward
2017-2-1
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gibbd Posted at 2017-2-1 02:41
Wellsi,

At the top of the screen in the app will be the icon showing number of GPS sats, and then some bars next to it.

Aha.. of course...

2017-2-1
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

gibbd Posted at 2017-2-1 01:52
GMG,

I get that, but what amazes me is that with such a high number of satellites locked and in a very open area (no obstructions or likely causes of interference) that it switched into ATTI mode.  While strength isn't the same as number of satellites, it could be expected that there is a likelihood that more has a relationship to likelihood to have a stable connection (hence why there's recommendations to be wary when you've got a low number connecting).
Looking at the signal strength meter in the flight record, the GPS bars are at the maximum (5) bars for the entire flight, then, like a light switch, the bars dump to 1 red bar and it goes to ATTI.  Very strange.  
2017-2-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules