Gimbal Lock; Do we need it?
15719 22 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KTodd
lvl.1
United States

I was wondering what the DJI stance is on the gimbal lock, as they would know better than anyone how the gimbal lock is constructed and what kind of day to day jarring it can accomodate.

When I unpacked my new Mavic the plastic gimbal lock looked to me like packing material...  something put in place to protect the unit during long shipment and unexpected violent jarrings which may occur.  There was not indication that I saw noting that this should be used between flights.

However, in the Mavic community there seems to be a majoritiy contingent that believes his has to be used between flights as such a key component of the device.  Surely, you would be a fool to not take the utmost precautions with the gimbal.

So what does DJI think we should do with the Gimbal Lock?

I was going to save if for air travel and the like, but didn't plan on using it for daily use.  Am I being foolish to keep thing thing off?  It certainly was not designed as a user friendly accessory (and yes, I've seen several videos on how to install the thing).

Just wondering, 'preciate any feedback.  
2017-1-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The only time my gimbal lock is off is when I am flying the Mavic and when it is just sitting between flights. I believe it is for protection of the gimbal to prevent damage from a sudden movement. Even between flights, I put the gimbal cover on to keep the lens clean.
2017-1-27
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't suppose it would come to any harm if you knew it wasn't going to be thrown about in the case - for example carefully placing in your car.
Safest on though for that unexpected jolt.
If the mavic is stored other than horizontal position there will be constant stress on the support at one side too.
2017-1-28
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never used the gimbal lock on my Standard 3 and don't on my Mavic either.  But i always have the drones in a soft case when they're not flying. As I see it, I'm not throwing the case round like couriers would throw a package in the courier van....
2017-1-28
Use props
Pgale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275207 ft
United Kingdom

I just received my new Mavic Pro and on inspection, the gimbal had been fitted the other side of the securing bracket and as a consequence when the gimbal lock was fitted, the clumsy assembly person broke the small thin plastic disk that fits into the gimbal lock. Pretty surprised that it was broken like this but importantly shows that the plastic isn't very strong.
I'd be very cautious when fitting it. This gimbal seems to be pretty flimsy. Here's the pic showing the broken tab
IMG_0351.JPG
2017-1-28
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I should add that like I did for the Phantom 3, I have fitted an open gimbal hood protector to my Mavic. It fits perfectly and I leave it on all the time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic- ... ic-pro/232190448642
2017-1-28
Use props
KTodd
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the feedback,
will be curious to see if a DJI rep responds and what their guidance is.

2017-1-28
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-28 04:26
I should add that like I did for the Phantom 3, I have fitted an open gimbal hood protector to my Mavic. It fits perfectly and I leave it on all the time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic- ... ic-pro/232190448642

The shade looks like a good addition, assume that you're happy with the results from it.  Seems to be a good middle ground between the clear plastic cover that comes with the Mavic and no cover.
2017-1-28
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

I've seen a couple of reports of Mavics being delivered with broken gimbals. Now, take into account the thousands of miles these have travelled and the subsequent handling (or lack of) they have endured during their journey, it's pretty obvious that the gimbal  lock has been a) not fitted properly prior to despatch, or b) has come adrift due to rough handling. I would have thought that being one of the most expensive items to replace on a Mavic, it would be wise to re-attatch the gimbal lock every time you put your drone away. Just saying........you never know when you might have to brake suddenly on your way to the flying site and your Mavic becomes airborne in the car and slams into the footwell. Common sense really.
2017-1-28
Use props
MIP
lvl.2
United States

I never used my gimbal lock on my P3 and it lived in a hard case on my ATV in the mountains. That said the Mavic looks to be much more fragile. I find the gimbal lock troublesome to install after every flight. Always wondered if some soft foam inside the bubble dome to dampen the gimbal might work. Dome is much easier to install and a 1 piece solution would be welcome.
2017-1-28
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-1-28 07:53
I've seen a couple of reports of Mavics being delivered with broken gimbals. Now, take into account the thousands of miles these have travelled and the subsequent handling (or lack of) they have endured during their journey, it's pretty obvious that the gimbal  lock has been a) not fitted properly prior to despatch, or b) has come adrift due to rough handling. I would have thought that being one of the most expensive items to replace on a Mavic, it would be wise to re-attatch the gimbal lock every time you put your drone away. Just saying........you never know when you might have to brake suddenly on your way to the flying site and your Mavic becomes airborne in the car and slams into the footwell. Common sense really.

Not fully common sense.... My cold fat fingers are more likely to damage the gimbal sooner or later putting it on and pulling it off all the time.....
Like I said, would you throw the mavic around like a courier throws packages around in his van?  Normal handling inside a soft case is more than enough protection in my books, but obs each to their own....
2017-1-28
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-28 10:22
Not fully common sense.... My cold fat fingers are more likely to damage the gimbal sooner or later putting it on and pulling it off all the time.....  Like I said, would you throw the mavic around like a courier throws packages around in his van?  Normal handling inside a soft case is more than enough protection in my books, but obs each to their own....

You got fingers like pigs tits as well then?!
2017-1-28
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-1-28 10:26
You got fingers like pigs tits as well then?!

Yeah, and they're always frozen after flying.......
2017-1-28
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Was a good thread on this. I ended up doing the same, putting a tag on the lock so it's easy to see when your out flying. The clear color is hard to see at night
2017-1-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

"I was going to save [the gimbal lock] for air travel and the like, but didn't plan on using it for daily use.  Am I being foolish to keep thing thing off?"

That's basically how I use it: on the (relatively rare) occasion that I fold up the Mavic for compact transport, the gimbal lock and the cover go back on. Otherwise they stay off.

When it isn't flying my Mavic spends about 99% of its time fully extended / unfolded sitting either on my desk or being transported on the floorboard of my car, and the gimbal lock doesn't seem to offer any benefit for those times. In fact, I'd guess that attaching and removing the gimbal lock over and over when there's no real need for it would be more likely to do harm instead of good. And to address another commenter's point, if I ever find myself braking / stopping so hard that my Mavic will be thrown around in the car, its gimbal is probably going to be the least of my worries.
2017-1-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The owners manual says the following:

Use the Gimbal Clamp and Gimbal Cover to protect the gimbal when the Mavic Pro is not in use.

Seems reasonable to me. Passengers always complain about the stiff suspension in my Miata, and if I'm going to bring it along on a hike I don't want it to jar should I slip on something.

2017-1-28
Use props
KTodd
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-28 18:24
The owners manual says the following:

Use the Gimbal Clamp and Gimbal Cover to protect the gimbal when the Mavic Pro is not in use.

Thanks ExMachina....   In all my reads of the manual, I did not see the note that they recommend the Gimbal Clamp be used.
Seems like a bit of a poor design for something they want you to save and use after each flight.

Good to know.
2017-1-31
Use props
ttexxan
New

United States

Pgale Posted at 2017-1-28 03:36
I just received my new Mavic Pro and on inspection, the gimbal had been fitted the other side of the securing bracket and as a consequence when the gimbal lock was fitted, the clumsy assembly person broke the small thin plastic disk that fits into the gimbal lock. Pretty surprised that it was broken like this but importantly shows that the plastic isn't very strong.
I'd be very cautious when fitting it. This gimbal seems to be pretty flimsy. Here's the pic showing the broken tab

I received my mavic today and had the same issue.  The back plastic piece was broken off.  I am returning the damage unit and re ordering.  I cannot see your pic for some reason, but imagine the same area
2017-1-31
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

It's just a simple technique to put the gimbal clamp in place. I only remove if for flying. RTFM . The manual is clear about this. Page 6:

"Use the Gimbal Clamp and Gimbal Cover to protect the gimbal when the Mavic Pro is not in use"

2017-1-31
Use props
General_Lee8620
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97867 ft
United States

I had the same problem when I bought mine but decided to not replace it and bought a replacement 3d gimbal lock made out of rubber and attaches to the front  of it instead of the back because I didn't want to wait another 2 weeks for a replacement. Here is a Link to it: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/n ... ck-lens-cover.2663/
2017-2-1
Use props
ttexxan
New

United States

General_Lee8620 Posted at 2017-2-1 16:05
I had the same problem when I bought mine but decided to not replace it and bought a replacement 3d gimbal lock made out of rubber and attaches to the front  of it instead of the back because I didn't want to wait another 2 weeks for a replacement. Here is a Link to it: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/new-dji-mavic-pro-gimbal-lock-lens-cover.2663/

I saw that product but concerned touching the gimbal when placing.  
2017-2-2
Use props
General_Lee8620
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97867 ft
United States

ttexxan Posted at 2017-2-2 10:16
I saw that product but concerned touching the gimbal when placing.

the guy says it shouldn't affect because it is a softer rubber but if you watch the video to he explains a little more and as long as you put it on the way he shows it I think you should be fine.
2017-2-3
Use props
Mavic Merrick
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6558399 ft
United States

ALWAYS have the gimbal cover ON when not actively flying.  When I fly the last thing I do to get ready for flight is take the gimbal cover off and the first thing I do after a flight is put the gimbal cover back on.  The reason for this is because I don’t want to break the gimbal when I am folding or unfolding the arms.
2022-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules