Firmware update?... Hell no>?
1271 9 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

So I just got my Phantom 3 weeks ago...

It took awhile but I finally got it off the ground and everything seems to be just fine.  When i went on my first flight it said everything was updated and ready to roll.
The only slight propblem I had was the compass was a pain in the butt.

So today I went out flying for my second time....compass was still a pain in the butt however this time it said I was in need of firmware updates...

I went ahead and flew anyway and everything was fine....so my question is???...

Should i update my firmware or just LEAVE IT ALONE...

All i have heard on here has been horror stories of bad upgrades and fly aways and changing home spots...no flipping way.

LOL

So i guess for all the NOOBS out here...what are the pro and cons to doing these updates?

Thanks

Chris

2017-1-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

<redundant>
2017-1-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

"No son-of-a-***** ever won a war by dying for their country.  He won it by (letting) the other poor dumb son-of-a-**** die for HIS country."
-General George Patton

I would wait and let somebody else update HIS firmware.  And if he doesn't lose his Phantom to a bad RTH reset or a bricked controller, etc., etc., etc., and the update otherwise gets good reviews, I'd then consider an update.  

MHO
2017-1-28
Use props
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

Honestly, im not even sure of how to tell you what software version its running now...all i do know is that i bought it new 1 month ago and the first time i flew it it said it was good...a week later it said it needed a update.  
2017-1-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

My P3 Pro is running on firmware that was issued late in 2015, and it has no problems or issues. I have locked down the iPad so it won't update the app either, and I enjoy totally trouble-free flying. There have been almost no improvements introduced since that time, or none that I am interested in.

Does that answer your question?

2017-1-28
Use props
cvein88
lvl.1
United States

Yes it does...  Thank you sir!
2017-1-28
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

Ive had mine about the same time and don't think I'll update either.
2017-1-28
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

The current RTH/RC position problem is with the Go App version 3.1.2 on an Android.   Since most will get the app from Google Play, they'd be installing the latest which as of 1/18 is this buggy version.
To see what firmware is on the drone, go into Camera view in the Go app while everything is connected, select General Settings (easiest way to get there is the 3 line icon in the upper right corner), scroll down to the bottom and select About.   Latest firmware is 1.10 for the P3A/P.   I believe it is 1.8 for the P3S.
2017-1-28
Use props
bestpancakes77
New

United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-28 17:25
The current RTH/RC position problem is with the Go App version 3.1.2 on an Android.   Since most will get the app from Google Play, they'd be installing the latest which as of 1/18 is this buggy version.
To see what firmware is on the drone, go into Camera view in the Go app while everything is connected, select General Settings (easiest way to get there is the 3 line icon in the upper right corner), scroll down to the bottom and select About.   Latest firmware is 1.10 for the P3A/P.   I believe it is 1.8 for the P3S.

i'm on my second p 3  pro in this week . both brand new from a big box store, both firmware updates failed.  hope to get through to DJI tomorrow
2017-1-28
Use props
JackA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

I am not very concerned about the firmware updates, the GO APP is of more concern.  I flew my new P3S today on Firmware 1.8.10.  When I unpacked it and set it up yesterday it had FW 1.7.9.  The process is slightly confusing.  First, with the Phantom on and the controller on you open the Go APP on your tablet/phone then change the WI-FI  to a router that has Internet access, the APP downloads to your table/phone then you change WI-FI back to the Phontom3_XXXXXX and the firmware updates takes place.  The message window said 30 minutes so be sure to have everything well charged before starting the process.  My one experience was that the actual update took about 10 minutes.  I am really hoping DJI pushes an APP update soon.
2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules