2041 33 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yoengel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had a wonderful time visiting London during the holidays. Used my Mavic and Canon 6D.  Turn up the volume and have a great week everyone.
Note: I checked the UK Drone Code and the Drone Assist app to find out where I cannot fly.

2017-1-29
Use props
madispuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133957 ft
Estonia

Great video! As I read tons of complaints about Mavic loosing GPS signal and drifting without control, I hope you made the street clip by riding a bus, not with the Mavic.
Nice work!
2017-1-29
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

madispuk Posted at 2017-1-29 11:08
Great video! As I read tons of complaints about Mavic loosing GPS signal and drifting without control, I hope you made the street clip by riding a bus, not with the Mavic.
Nice work!
Thanks and yes, and a glass elevator!
2017-1-29
Use props
SLiWooDy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If central London is a no fly zone- how comes your flying?
2017-1-29
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 2017-1-29 12:12
If central London is a no fly zone- how comes your flying?

This is outside the central London, no fly zone.  I checked the UK Drone Code.
2017-1-29
Use props
SLiWooDy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yoengel Posted at 2017-1-29 12:23

You are braver than me, that's all I will say.

2017-1-29
Use props
firestar
New

United Kingdom

Very Nice work
2017-1-30
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

wow!!! stunning images!
2017-1-30
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Firstly, some stunning footage!! Love it!!

Im not here to tell you that you are wrong, because in my opinion the rules, codes etc etc are very confusing. I tend to go on the side of super caution.

I didn't think you could fly anywhere near central London like you are, but Im happy to be proved wrong

Could you post where you refer to in the drone code that means you can fly where you did

The NATS Drone Assist App is very useful.  Whilst I can possibly see that where you were flying is technically allowed (if you closely follow the dronecode, CAA rules etc)  its very dodgy ground with being close to airports and restricted airspace dotted very close.

Also take a read of this which is very helpful relating to UAV in and around London    https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/doc ... otice%202014190.pdf
2017-1-30
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey fella; awesome little video; real nice mix of Mavic and hand-held camera footage.

Just for anyone else reading and thinking though, you're way off about being outside of the centre of London.  All of London is controlled airspace and the Drone Assist app clearly shows red right out until Rainham marshes, 10 miles further out to the East.
You're between Tower Bridge and Canary Wharf, on the approach to City Airport; all completely restricted and you're also within 150 metres of built up areas, which is a blanket CAA rule for everywhere, so you're defo the wrong side of those rules.  
But hey, I drive over the speed limit....    And you've got a great bit of footage

Cheers

Ian

Drone Assist

Drone Assist
2017-1-30
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-30 03:16
Hey fella; awesome little video; real nice mix of Mavic and hand-held camera footage.

Just for anyone else reading and thinking though, you're way off about being outside of the centre of London.  All of London is controlled airspace and the Drone Assist app clearly shows red right out until Rainham marshes, 10 miles further out to the East.

Ian,

Happy to stand corrected... the red in the drone assist app is restricted... but not no fly.   (ALTHOUGH I AGREE THE RED BIT WEST OF TOWER BRIDGE IS NO FLY FOR CITY AIRPORT)

I think where the user is, youd struggle to follow the drone code anyway for distance from people and built up areas, but is it true to say that the fact he is that close to city airport in itself doesn't mean he cant fly.

Personally.. just for the record, I myself wouldn't even dream of doing anything like this so close to restrutions and airports..... but, each and to their own
2017-1-30
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gibbd Posted at 2017-1-30 03:26
Ian,

Happy to stand corrected... the red in the drone assist app is restricted... but not no fly.   I think where the user is, youd struggle to follow the drone code for distance from people and built up areas, but is it true to say that the fact he is that close to city airport in itself doesn't mean he cant fly.

True.  When you drill in, it states they recommend you do not fly as this is Controlled Airspace and a high risk zone, but only state "operation of your drone may be hazardous or prohibitied"....  Which is nice and vague

But this thread did teach me about an app that I never even knew existed, so all good....
http://dronesafe.uk/drone-assist/

Cheers again to the OP

2017-1-30
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-30 03:38
True.  When you drill in, it states they recommend you do not fly as this is Controlled Airspace and a high risk zone, but only state "operation of your drone may be hazardous or prohibitied"....  Which is nice and vague  

But this thread did teach me about an app that I never even knew existed, so all good....

Still... as I mention.... really wouldn't fly here and risk bringing a commercial aircraft down in central London....

Drone assist app is great.... but id love to have more clarity from the CAA about all this...
2017-1-30
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-1-30 02:37
Firstly, some stunning footage!! Love it!!

Thank you for the kind comments!

There is a public park right by the Thames, and it complies with the 150m distance from urban areas and 50m from people/buildings.  I also kept the drone in sight at all times.  It was also at sunrise on Christmas Day and this part of London was pretty much empty.
2017-1-31
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-1-30 03:52
Still... as I mention.... really wouldn't fly here and risk bringing a commercial aircraft down in central London....

Drone assist app is great.... but id love to have more clarity from the CAA about all this...

If we see a commercial airplane flying at this height, I think we have something bigger to worry about.
2017-1-31
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-1-30 03:38

Thanks and glad you sorted it out.  We stayed near this area and have been observing it for several days.  Also exercised extreme caution and kept the flight very short.
2017-1-31
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Used to live in the Canary Wharf area and work in the city a decade ago.  Brings back great memories.  Loved the footage.
2017-1-31
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-31 21:58
Used to live in the Canary Wharf area and work in the city a decade ago.  Brings back great memories.  Loved the footage.

Thank you!
2017-1-31
Use props
Camolin
lvl.2
Germany

Great material! You really know how to operate and put the raw footage to good use.

Usually I am against all illegal/ risky flights but I think you really gave it some thoughts and the spots you flew in (above water etc) are well chosen to avoid risks. Only thing could be the height at 0:18 but hey...
Keep it up
2017-2-1
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Beautiful footage. And wicked laws... I see no way you could risk anything or anybody with those shots.
2017-2-1
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

yoengel Posted at 2017-1-31 20:54
If we see a commercial airplane flying at this height, I think we have something bigger to worry about.

yoengel,

Agreed about your comments about commercial aircraft being that low, but... they could be close with city airport close by. That being said, it sounds like you have been extremely careful.   

I think as another person has commented, you have thought through your flightplan carefully, and, although in a restricted area that's not recommended to fly in, you are within the CAA rules (as far as we all can understand them ) and have exercised extreme caution, to get those incredible shots.  

Still doesn't alter that id be too scared to do it hahaa!  
2017-2-1
Use props
enc3phalon
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You may want to relook the UK drone code. It clearly states that you need to be at least 150m away from built up areas. You are clearly in violation to that. Here is a link to drone code, it is on the 4th slide.
http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/ .
Having said that, You're video itself is amazing.
2017-2-1
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

enc3phalon Posted at 2017-2-1 03:44
You may want to relook the UK drone code. It clearly states that you need to be at least 150m away from built up areas. You are clearly in violation to that. Here is a link to drone code, it is on the 4th slide.
http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/ .
Having said that, You're video itself is amazing.

Those rules are hilarious.  Yep, live in England but take off and land no closer than 150 ft away from property (either your house or a neighbors house... Or anyone in a park, or....).  That's a bit like saying you can drive a car on the road but never get within 4 feet of the center line or 10 feet of the curb.  No human being can avoid contravening that aspect of the code.

The problem with making overly restrictive rules is that even the most law-abiding people can't avoid contravening them some of the time, which affects the integrity of the rules themselves.  That's why the entire world including your aunt Martha drives at 39mph in a 30...
2017-2-1
Use props
ClancyO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296053 ft
United States

Great video!
2017-2-1
Use props
enc3phalon
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-1 04:23
Those rules are hilarious.  Yep, live in England but take off and land no closer than 150 ft away from property (either your house or a neighbors house... Or anyone in a park, or....).  That's a bit like saying you can drive a car on the road but never get within 4 feet of the center line or 10 feet of the curb.  No human being can avoid contravening that aspect of the code.

The problem with making overly restrictive rules is that even the most law-abiding people can't avoid contravening them some of the time, which affects the integrity of the rules themselves.  That's why the entire world including your aunt Martha drives at 39mph in a 30...

No matter how hilarious the rules may seem, they are still the rules. What would the OP do if he lost control of the drone in the middle of Regent street where the pavements are always packed with people. There are quite a few threads in this forum about people losing control of their mavic drones. The problem is, even if it were a minor issue, the media would lap it up a blow things way out of proportion. Take this article for instance.

Drone near The shard

When you read the article, it shows that the plane was 4900ft from ground level and the chances of the drone flying that high is extremely rare. that did not prevent the media from lapping up this incident and blowing things way out of proportion, and it also instigated a lot of hatred amongst the public about drones. I just feel you should not give anyone the excuse to further taint the reputation of drones and the people who fly them.
2017-2-1
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

enc3phalon Posted at 2017-2-1 05:23
No matter how hilarious the rules may seem, they are still the rules. What would the OP do if he lost control of the drone in the middle of Regent street where the pavements are always packed with people. There are quite a few threads in this forum about people losing control of their mavic drones. The problem is, even if it were a minor issue, the media would lap it up a blow things way out of proportion. Take this article for instance.

Drone near The shard

My point is not about whether it makes sense to fly in Regent Street or anywhere else.  My point is about the regs.  They are ridiculous.  They mix the sensible with the impossible, which is a dangerous mix if you want to drive adoption of something.  If you have regs that are impossible to follow to the letter and that are rarely enforced then you're more likely to get people ignoring the rules entirely and doing their own thing; not less likely.

The rules are the rules, just like motoring law.  I get it.  However, if we can't have a sensible conversation about issues with the current regs then we should all just suck it up and get what we get.
2017-2-1
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone near The shard

He didn't fly in Regents St; he only flew the drone east of Tower Bridge.  
The footage showing St Paul's is from inside a glass lift as he states, and the Regents Street footage is from inside a double decker bus....
2017-2-1
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Drone near The shard

Hang on.... this OP wasn't flying down Regent Street.  The drone footage was as he points out over a park/over the river, east of Tower bridge.

The shots going down the road are handheld with a camera/phone.....    if he/she flew down regents street I think we would have seen it on the news

The article about the shard..... clearly the OP was flying WAYYYY to high
2017-2-1
Use props
enc3phalon
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm so sorry, I'm not very good in reading. I thought the footage along Regent Street was taken using the Mavic. Also about the article, I don't think it was even a drone. I can't think of a single reason why someone would fly at that altitude apart from either being extremely stupid or has some sort of malicious intent. As for the rules, quite a few drone organisations and clubs have already approached their local MPs about some of the restrictions and although not confirmed, the CAA along with the government are looking for ways to relax some of the rules especially for drones with fpv.
2017-2-1
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-2-1 07:41
He didn't fly in Regents St; he only flew the drone east of Tower Bridge.  
The footage showing St Paul's is from inside a glass lift as he states, and the Regents Street footage is from inside a double decker bus....

And it's great footage.  A very creative way to extend the use of the Mavic.  Would look really odd doing that with a Phantom  
2017-2-1
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-1 09:24
And it's great footage.  A very creative way to extend the use of the Mavic.  Would look really odd doing that with a Phantom

Thank you, I really appreciate it!
2017-2-3
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, much appreciated!
2017-2-4
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-2-1 01:29
Beautiful footage. And wicked laws... I see no way you could risk anything or anybody with those shots.

Thanks, much appreciated!
2017-2-4
Use props
yoengel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Camolin Posted at 2017-2-1 00:38
Great material! You really know how to operate and put the raw footage to good use.

Usually I am against all illegal/ risky flights but I think you really gave it some thoughts and the spots you flew in (above water etc) are well chosen to avoid risks. Only thing could be the height at 0:18 but hey...

Thank you!
2017-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules